get your kit out for the lads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
get your kit out
get your kit out
get your kit out for the lads.....;)

ok guys there is a lot of threads, questions and wonders about how people pack things, what do they carry, how much do the carry, how big is there packs and what is there preference of use.
well this is your chance to (GET YOUR KIT OUT) and to share the ideas you have about everything you carry for a typical weekend in the woods. (the pack has to be for a solo trip that 1 man will use)

the aim of this thread is to help newbies build there perfect kit set up and also for people that have been scratching there head for years and struggle to find that system thats works.

now if your have pics great, if not just list them.
have fun :)

heres my list
.swedish military pack 40lt approx (heavy frame)

.4 season army sleeping bag + liner

.dd camping hammock + moscito net

.highlander basha

(if in winter ww2 US pup tent amy sleeping mat with bivvi to go with my bag)

.highlander tefel mess tin in dpm webbing pouch, inside the tin is 2 little bottles 1with cooking oil and the other with meths, kfs, cleaning rag, tooth picks, and a pack of noodles.

.12cm billy inside is a milbank bag and 2 bags of rice meals

. crusader cook set, the gel stove and little alcohol burner made from small vasaline tin, the tefel cup with lid and hanger, stowed in an out webbing pouch but in black also contains very small tin opener and coffie mix

.old camera pouch that has a head torch 1x long candle a bit of tyer innertube and batteries

.a very old looking pouch with openal 9, spoon knife, folding hand shovel, folding saw, dc4 stone, 1 aid kit

.john fenna's flint and steel kit with different tinder in leather pouch

.minni egg tube made into a match box for wind proof matches and tealite candle and cotton wool

.sawing kit and snare wire in a pouch

.moscito head net

hat scalf and glove

karrimor boots on my feet or army one in winter

.walking pole on the side of my bag or in my hands optional

.small torch in trouser pocket, survival tin in other pocket A Wright and son knife with flint rod on sheeth on my belt and mobile in top pocket.

oh map and copass case (highlander) whistle,mirror and note pad is in that.

theres mine chap over to you

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Fortunatly, there's no such thing as a 'one size fits all' perfect kit set up :).....most people I think, choose what they take & need through trial & error, often with financial constraints, which forces us to be more imaginative.
I'm not going to bore people by listing my equipement :sulkoff: as these kit check lists pop up at least once a week, :vio:....that said, I'm always interested in readng about other peoples kit :werd:

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
This could be a good idea.

I use a vango Sherpa 65l pack

Main compartment:

Hammocking:

DD Frontline hammock
DD 3x3 tarp and paracord/pegs
Homemade underblanket
DPM poncho (launch/landing pad)

Bivi:

Rab Storm bivi bag
Poncho /DD tarp
Leki trail poles

Always in the main is my karrimor fleece pillow.

Bottom of pack:

Cooking pot (vargo ti pot or 12cm zebra Billy can.
Tatonka stainless mug
Alpkit ti spork
Civvy Trangia burner
Toilet paper
Food (Usually pasta or steak :))
Treats like chocolate etc

Top pocket:

Ditty bag usually with toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, mouthwash, blister plasters, spare batteries etc.

Then I take the Response Pak

Main compartment:

UCO candle lantern
Honey stove
Alpkit Gamma headtorch

Front pocket:

Tinder kit (tinder card, char cloth, Maya sticks, blast match etc.)
LMF spork
9 LED torch
More batteries

Side pockets:

Hygiene kit, wet wipes, alcohol hand gel.
Midge net
Camera in a waterproof cover

Sleeping bags depend on weight season:

Woodlore Golden Eagle
Vango Ultralite 900

Mats:

Either CCF mat or Pacific Outdoor Aerogels SIM

Sharps (either on pack or belt)

Nora quicksnap knife with paracord wrapped sheath
GB scandanavian forest axe or Huskvarna hatchet
Bacho Laplander
Victorinox Swisschamp SAK

Also carry a LMF fire steel, Zippo match, lighters and paracord

Also a nalgene bottle and cheap crusader system for water

Obviously I don't take this everywhere with me but tailor it to every trip

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I would do, but there's not much to show! I only ever really take a knife, FAK, firesteel and tinder, and a crusader mug / stove, greenheat (firesteel and tinder is just to impress chicks), coffee and a teaspoon. Sometimes a rite as rain and a pencil and a wee camera. I put all that my recently acquired Fjallraven vintage shoulder bag.

Yet I have boxes of stuff. WHY!?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...the aim of this thread is to help newbies build there perfect kit set up..."

I don't think there is one, but it is always nice to see other set ups.

You might want to have a look through Paul Kirtley's article 'A Bushcraft Camping Outfit' for inspiration.

Many years ago (2003?) the then instructors on the Woodlore Fundamental course, Stani and Lawrence, suggested this packing arrangement for the Sabre 45.

packing_a_sabre45_rucksack.jpg

Which some folks might find handy.

I prefer to carry less weight and make do with wrapping things in rubble bags and then jamming them into a single compartment pack. :)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Here is my kit so far for the up coming weekends, and longer trips out I have planned, its minus clothes at the moment as I am still debating what to take due to what the weather will be, but warm and dry will be the theme

389707_10150448476569073_539479072_10475542_1283333950_n.jpg

bergan,
sleeping bag,
bivvie bag,
ccf roll matt,
two water bottles(one shown),
plastic collapsible 2ltr bladder,
metal cup, billy can and plate(kept in bag with brew kit(coffee) and pot cleaning kit(scouring pad and washing liquid in squeezable bottle)),
Gloves with woollen liners,
two note books one water proof to be kept with the map case and compass for route logging,
one non water proof to be kept with the first aid\possibles pouch for note taking and messages for emergencies,
pens various,
chinographs various,
pencils various,
folding saw,
belt knife,
multi-tool,
dc3,
ceramic rod,
spoon gouge,
hand held torch, head torch(2x spare batts for handheld),
soap,
antiperspirant,
travel towel,
millbank bag,
tarp,
large dry bag,
first aid kit with possibles,
whistle,

sitting at ten and a half KG without a book,food and water.:D

Southey,

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Pack - Golite Pinnacle

Hammock drybag- single layer pertex hammock, amsteel whoopies, adjustable dyneema ridgeline, 1" whoopies & 4 nano 23 crabs

Sleep bag - Down UQ, Rab 400 down bag, travel pillow with bungee line to the ridgeline,

Clothing - Split into two, day and night clothing. Day for hiking, wool socks (2-3 pairs), breathable trousers and wicking teeshirt (mm synthetics), nylon windshirt, beanie wool hat, buff. And then night for camp, change back into natural materials, wool sleep socks, longjohns & wool thermal, wool jumper, and if it's cold I'll pack a down bodywarmer too. I haven't bothered packing a hardshell or my goretex overtrousers since I moved to spain.

Cook kit - Ti Cup, whitebox stove, Al windshield, 50ml squeeze bottles, travel chopsticks, spork, normal plastic bottles for my water

Tarp bag - DD 3x3m, but almost always Golite silnylon poncho tarp, 3mm ridgeline, 2mm guylines,

Everything else - Tikka3 headtorch, Spyderco UKPK, BRK Imp, Steel, extra line, an amsteel extention line, extra batteries, sun cream, toothbrush/paste/handcloth, FAK (a very simple one, plasters, compeeda pads, ibrophine, asprine, some stronger pain killers, a pressure bandage, tweezers, anti histamine cream, foot powder)

IIRC my baseweight is about 7kg. I'm not obsessed but always think it's prudent about the weight you're gonna carry and the impact on the trip. I find my body adjusts to the pack quicker and I find the walking less strenuous now. Depending where you go here you need to pack a lot more water than I was used to in Scotland, so longer trips with more food and water weight are easier. I think my rucksack is about as lightweight as I'd go without sacrificing the ability to carry weight comfortably. Sure as hell don't miss my 3kg bag tho!

My setup hasn't changed much in the last 6 months or so. I like the compromise between synthetics for hiking and natural materials at camp, it makes for a pretty flexible setup. Gravitated towards a smaller knife, no axe, occasionally a folding saw. I tend not to need more than a twig fire and my small knives are more than enough to process the wood needed for something like that. I've also started walking in canvas trail shoes rather than boots. They dry quick and are light on the feet, and aslong as I have a change of socks I've not had any problems with blisters.

Changes I'm looking to make, foremost before I go out next get a replacement compass. Before the mosquitos come back I need to work out a bugnet for the hammock. And get a set of decent wool thermals. Thinking a lot about the sharps I'm taking out too. A fixed tang knife, saw, pocketknife all together do add up in weight. I'm thinking my next knife will be thinner stocks and a stick tang.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE