Just starting out - any recommended resources?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey

I'm just starting out learning bushcraft. Done some wild camping and hiking in the past. I'm really excited about learning to be more ino tune with my surroundings, packing less and finding/making more. Wilderness and freedom are real passions for me too, as I'm sure is the case for all of you too.

I've been watching MCQ bushcraft and reading around online, but I want to know more.

Would you be able to recommend any resources online/videos/books/courses?

Especially on:
Foraging
Which wood to use for what
Identifying trees
Tarp techniques
What to use to make fires in rain
How/where to learn fishing

I'm West Yorkshire.

Also any sleeping bag recommendations for winter?

Thanks for your help :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK! :campfire:

Look for book reviews by people with some credibility, that will certainly cover the first three items on your list.

This site has quite a few resources of its own, and you'll find reviews of all sorts of things.

There are quite a few blogs around, some of which you'll see mentioned here if you read enough. They do reviews too. Be aware that not all reviews are impartial.

If you mean foraging for food, I'm not much of a forager. People talk a lot about mushrooms. I don't like mushrooms.
The last guy I know who ate some mushrooms that he'd foraged spent the next three days throwing up in the back of his girl-friend's car.
That was two weeks ago. A couple of days later she crashed the car into an embankment - she didn't say what she'd been foraging.
But I forage loads of other things, fuel of course, odd bits of metal that look useful, stuff like that. This morning while I was out with the dogs I found a nice bit of stainless wire.

Tarpology is a kind of cult thing. I just tie mine to trees and stuff.

I make fires in rain under a shelter, usually using something I've brought with me - such as the little bottle of meths and a lighter that I always carry. It's easy, if you prepare. You can almost always find dry enough fuel somehwere - it doesn't all have to be wood.

I'm not much of a fisherman either (I'm not very keen on most fish) but there are lots of people here who can help.

Why not pop along to some of the meets?

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
take your self along to your next local meet i did my first one recently was a great time and every one will be happy to help.

when your learn your tree species don't just focus on the leaf, the bark and structure of tree is good to know as well. it also helps me to remember them if i know what to use them for as well.

check out wildernessoutfitters on youtubes he has lot of stuff that will be usful for you.

Sep 20, 2014
Leeds
RE: Also any sleeping bag recommendations for winter?
Berghaus Flare 1100
2/3 season
Comfort +7.2°C
Transition +2.6°C
Risk -12.3°C

This is a really good bag, despite the fact that it is a mummy bag, it is actually really wide and long, so there is no restriction of movement, and the bigger size actually helps with warmth, as you can trap a lot of air in there. The downside of course is size when packed. I manage to get mine down pretty small using a Boa Constrictor stuff compression sack. plenty of reviews online say this bag packs down small, but I find reviews to be very objective, the only way to be sure is to try it yourself. I have sleeping bags for every occasion, so am able to compare with some authority. many of the military [or pseudo military] bags are very popular, if that is your thing then maybe the Snugpak Softie 9 would suffice, regardless, a good third party stuff compression sack is essential to preserve redundant pack space.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Am I being dense here? You're on one of the largest resources for information that there is about everything you've asked!

If you use the search tool, there is an advanced option... and I bet the hairs from my squirrel's tail that you'll find the advice you need hidden somewhere... plus a whole lot more.

Other than that, as has been suggested... get yourself to a local (or not so local) meet and ask questions, have a natter and share a brew. Meets are amazing adventures, and you meet some great people!

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Yeah Dewi is right, this forum and the people that frequent it will be your best resource over all. Use the search tool and you're sure to find what you're after.

The best thing to do when just starting out is get a load of cheap gear, army surplus and the like, and get out and about. If you decide bushcraft isn't for you a few months down the line then you haven't wasted much money, alternatively if you love it you can use the shortcomings of your cheap gear to give you an idea of what you need to look for before you spend a fortune to upgrade :)

Experience will beat any book or online tutorial, get out there and try some things and you will retain much more of what you learned than if you just sat at home watching youtube. I reccommend you still build a foundation of knowledge by reading and watching videos, but always apply what you have learned in the field. The amount you will learn if you go to a meet and speak to likeminded people will surprise you too so try and expose yourself to as many bushcrafters as you can!

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
First dress to the weather + 1 that is your first layer of shelter. heat stroke/hypothermia is not a way to learn and experience.
Enjoy

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Would you be able to recommend any resources online/videos/books/courses?

Especially on:
Foraging

The foraging bible is of course Food for Free By Richard Mabey. In the Collings Gem size book, there's little excuse not to stick one in your pack. I also have Easy Wild Food, which has proven useful at times.

Which wood to use for what
Identifying trees

There is a thread for which trees are safe to burn and to make things from, search for it.

As for tree Ident, if you find a good book, do let us Know, I'm on the look out.

Tarp techniques
What to use to make fires in rain

There are lots of threads about tarp techniques, and plenty of gootube videos have a look at.

Fire in the rain? I pour a cup of meths over the tinder + kindling, then drop a spark or match on it... crude but it works...

How/where to learn fishing

Where: water; How: See the hook line and sinker section of the forum.
Also any sleeping bag recommendations for winter?

Thanks for your help :)

I am a fan of the Mountain hardware Lamina range. I have the Laminina 20 (ladies bag), rated to -7°C, and the Lamina 35 (mens bag), rated to 5°C. Very pleased with both.

Oh, and if you're starting out, you may find this book worth a read.

Good luck.

J

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
As the other have said, get out there and have meetups with like minded people, but if thats not as easy as it sounds then this guy, Andrew Price is very knowledgable. Learn a few things from his site - http://www.azbushcraft.com/ it'll give you a good grounding when actually getting away from it all for a night or three :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE