Just mulling over some ideas..Bergens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I have nothing against those who like the FR design. I have something against the current makers, not the Asian cutters, but the Swedish management.

I highly recommend to get something else.

Even if you choose totally uninformed just something different in a nice colour, your chance to make a far better deal is pretty high, as long as you don't buy cheap factory new stuff that looks like military equipment, what surely is the worst idea one can develop.

There are a lot of brands that sell civil looking design in a relatively good quality. I mentioned a few of them above.

But the best deal in the long run one makes without any doubt with a new rucksack that is made according to NATO specifications out of 1000 Denier Cordura Nylon in a European or North American country.
If it's really factory new or just bought used in very good conditions doesn't change the relation between price and value. This decision depends simply on the wallet and personal taste, especially because brand new stuff like this often is offered in plain colours too and not only in camouflage patterns.

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Once again... NATO specs are a load of carp. The gear will fall apart with proper use, I can assure you of that. We used to throw our kit on and off the wagons we used and many a strap was broken. Take the blinkers off ;-)

I’ve had an osprey mutant 48 for the past 6 years, it’s seen a lot of use and I’d say they are some of the strongest civvy packs going. Granted I’ve looked after this one, not like the issue kit I had lol. I just would like something that’s a little more organic looking and traditional but I don’t like to use anything that is designed for military.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
OK.

Obviously there are different qualities if we compare issued German and British equipment.

The German army 34 litres Heim Cordura Rucksack is tough like a tank and seems to last a lifetime in civil use. The first ones are approximately 35 years old and usually look as good as new. Most were used in the army of course.

The 65 litres Flecktarn version gets slowly delaminating snow collars inside, is very tough too but without real hip belt no good option for usual bushcraft use. It must be packed very light to convince.

Perhaps it's a different build quality, perhaps the Germans treat the equipment more carefully. I don't know that.

All used Cordura German army rucksacks I have seen weren't broken. Sometimes one can find a little cut of a sharp stone at the bottom of course.

I have never seen a broken buckle, never an open seam, never a missing strap.

Perhaps they repair it before they sell it. That's possible. I didn't serve in the Bundeswehr. But the German stuff we see in surplus shops is usually in very good conditions.

Reactions: FerlasDave

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
OK.

Obviously there are different qualities if we compare issued German and British equipment.

The German army 34 litres Heim Cordura Rucksack is tough like a tank and seems to last a lifetime in civil use. The first ones are approximately 35 years old and usually look as good as new. Most were used in the army of course.

The 65 litres Flecktarn version gets slowly delaminating snow collars inside, is very tough too but without real hip belt no good option for usual bushcraft use. It must be packed very light to convince.

Perhaps it's a different build quality, perhaps the Germans treat the equipment more carefully. I don't know that.

All used Cordura German army rucksacks I have seen weren't broken. Sometimes one can find a little cut of a sharp stone at the bottom of course.

I have never seen a broken buckle, never an open seam, never a missing strap.

Perhaps they repair it before they sell it. That's possible. I didn't serve in the Bundeswehr. But the German stuff we see in surplus shops is usually in very good conditions.

you can repair the delamination on snow locks fairly easily with stormsure adhesive diluted with thinners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE