Just had an idea... Charcoal and pitch/tar...

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Ok, so this is just a bit of brainstormin'... If in the process of making charcoal in the ever popular oil drum, a hole was punched into the bottom and a metal container placed underneath then would the resin that comes out of the wood dribble out through the hole and collect in the tin, there by one fire perfoming two duties?

Thoughts?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Yup, thats exactly what happens to the wood you use to harvest tar / oil from the wood. Much of it is turned into charcoal. Although I *think* that overall process is slightly different, as the wood inside isn't allowed to burn slightly first? Not sure, only going by what I've read or saw on TV and that really doesn't go for much.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
You extract wood tar by applying indirect heat (ie to the outside of your retort), the by-product is charcoal, this is normally used to fuel the next batch

So, you're right, two products made in one process

I think you'd need some sort of sump to collect the tar and maybe a 'U' bend sort of thing in the outlet pipe to keep the air out

If all you want is Stockholm Tar then it doesn't matter if air gets into the hot retort and eats your charcoal, you however are planning on doing what I'd do, getting the maximum stuff out for the minimum work in......I'm not lazy, I'm efficent*

*and dyslexic, but thats another story

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE