'Just get a Gransfors..' Axes, axes, axes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk

Or www.stihl.co.uk

I knew stihl didnt manufactur all their items but I even saw one with the same name lol.

This is a great axe and limited edition (serial numbered), hand forged and sand blasted head. Looks better than the standard axes/hatchets. (Sorry I went into salesman mode :D )
http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...2134-20866/1926-Edition-forestry-hatchet.aspx

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I decided a long time ago that one axe, just isn't suitable for much. So i now run a pair, a small hatchet (outdoor axe), and a larger axe ( will be getting a wilderness axe for this role, in time) I tend to know what I'm gonna be doing with them, so never really have to carry both.

The SFA aint that bad really, though if i was gonna get an axe that size again, i would likely try the hunters axe from GB. Personally, i think an outdoor axe, with a slightly larger/heavier head, and a couple more inch on the handle would be great tool (not that the outdoor axe isn't.)

How's the Outdoor Axe going then Mark?

I thought it was a beautiful thing. Handle is particularly pleasing. However due to a warranty issue (long story) I was without mine for several months and in that time started using a parang.

I find that for what I do as a Smallholder which includes some clearance, limbing, light felling and processing the Parang is ideal. I have chopped up windfalls 8 to 10" in diameter with it too. I find a Parang better balanced than an axe and easier to control to deliver the stroke exactly where I need it.

Anyway, each to their own. What I can tell you is the both GB and Woodlore who I got mine (now Marks) from are honourable folks on the warranty front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
They might not be fashionable just now but to me a gransfors SFA is the most versatile and best production axe around for carving and light firewood duty's

I am no woop de doo authority on axes. I manage to chop wood without hacking myself up, so I must be doing something right. :) I agree with the above statement. The only thing that disappoints me about the SFA is its lighter duty aspect. Of course this tool is a compromise, but it's still a sweet piece. I have heavier axes for the rough stuff. I also have an X7 ?, X12 ? Fiskars hatchet and x25 splitter in my car trunk. These inexpensive tools work perfectly well for me and I don't feel the need to coddle/care for them like the G.B. I also have a tiny Wetterlings #106 ? I believe, which I belt carry. This little tool may not have the cache of the G.B., but I adore it and find it to be a very handy little tool.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I've got a Stihl hatchet for chopping kindling for the wood burner. It's a nice hatchet but, unfortunately, I am unable to compare it to the more premium brands.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I have the Gränsfors "Vildmarksyxa" (Wildlife Hatchet); like it a lot. I have fondled Hultafors axes of the same size in shops, but never used them. Doesn't look as nice imo, but they are probably quite as good in action.

Last edited:
I went through a phase of not wanting what everyone else was using, and so went through a range of axes - Roselli, Hultafors, Wetterlings etc...

...Eventually I bought what everyone else was using, and realised why they were using it. It was a GB SFA.

I've not bought another axe since.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
I have three GB axes. Well a maul, SCFA and SFA. I like the control I get from being able to get my hand right up under the bottom of the edge with the GB design. I find the more square head of other makes loses a bit of balance when used for carving. I have small hands so it may just be me, but I've never used a nicer axe than the Gransfors.

Anything that's crafted to a decent standard is worth a bit more money I feel. I like most of my kit to be either high end or better still custom. I like the idea of supporting small blacksmiths and people who still get their hands dirty and produce stuff with a bit of care for every item they work on.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Given the age of this thread I must wonder what you went for Samon?

I've used far, far more than my fair share of Gransfors axes in the past. At no point did I ever feel they were lacking. I vaguely recall writing a review many years ago over on BB.

That said, there are many alternatives out there these days. And as I'm sure many have noticed, the SFA that most people seem to get when starting out is falling out of favour - more because as people new to axes actually get using one they find they like different sizes/ styles etc. Most will typically realise that a hatchet is more than adequate for what they want in an axe.

I own more than a few axes, much to my partners dislike. But from what you describe I suspect a hatchet is what you want as well.

I could wax lyrical about the various pros and cons on a couple of brands but ultimately the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rings true in most cases. - If I were you, I'd look for a lighter axe with a slightly longer handle. The Hultafors Carving axe is the one that jumps to mind.

Hultafors axes are very competitively priced and you get a very nice axe for your money. I'd be tempted to check out the Condor range of axes too, though I'm not sure where you'd source one in the UK.

Best of luck
Andy

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've had the last few weekends trying to get decent "Gransfors like" edges on a couple of Bahcos, one a hatchet the other a larger axe, probably forest axe size. The amount of work in sorting the profiles is considerable using wet & dry on boards in increasingly fine grades, followed by stropping. The result is I can get the paper slicing sharpness on them, but after just a little use that sharpness is gone. That just doesn't happen on my GB's. I presume it must be to do with the temper of the steel. I will keep trying though, I may get there eventually.

Dave

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Wranglerstar on youtube did a rather withering review on the Bacho axes. To say he was unimpressed is an understatement. Bacho always used to have a goo dpreputation but I think they changed where they manufacture their axes and the results show.

All the best
Andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If their axes are anything like their chainsaws then I can imagine they're pretty good!

got any pictures?

I used the same logic when choosing a sewing machine - I went for a Husquevana Rose sewing machine, based on good reports of the chainsaws (and some reports on the sewing machine of course): It is a false logic.

rancid badger

Frankly, having owned a couple of GB axes and used them, rather than just keeping them on a hook or in a draw etc, I'd have to say that while they are good, I'd much sooner go for an old tool and renovate/restore it, then use that.

Another alternative, would be to go for one of Robin Woods hatchets/axes, I've not had the pleasure of using one yet but they look spot on and to be honest,given the sub £40 price tag, as well as having had the privilege of spending a weekend working with him a few years back, on a spoon carving course, I'd buy one of his before a GB these days.

Steve

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I like the look of Robin's axe too. I just don't think I can get away with buying another axe at present. I do have a number of older axes, most of which belonged too my father. I'm slowly getting them sorted and suitably sharp, but it's a lot of work, some of them are/were incredibly blunt with almost rounded edges.

Dave

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I actually bought the Hultafors hunting axe.

I was rather underwhelmed and annoyed as the grind was so off it was almost chisel ground.. I sent it back. They refunded the postage via cheque and sent me a replacement axe. It took ages, literally months to get a new one and lots of emails. They were adamant 'it's hand forged and they aren't perfect'. Well the forging is perfect, it's the grinding and edge making stage that is carp.

But it did arrive and the new one is better, still needs moderate touch ups on the edge to get it perfect as I'm quite particular and very easily disappointed. I have also owned a gb small forest axe, I liked the slender handle and shape head but detested the head shape. Purely aesthetic though, it was a fine tool.

I've not had the time to run my Hult' through its paces yet, but it's thicker, fatter and heavier, but with a pretty slender edge for real cutting, rather than just splitting. But not overly chunky wild, just a 10-15% meatier all over. And as I don't need to split wood I only buy and use axes that can bite and cut into wood properly.

The handle under the head is very fat, something the gb sfa is not, the gb allows really acute choking up. I may.. just may shave some meat off of the handle just under the head for easier choking up.

Other than that, I'm happy with it, it's beautiful and forged well. The only fault I have is the people who sharpen and grind the blades after forging. They need a slap in the chops! lol

I do reckon my 'just get a gransfors' is a good general statement if you don't want as much hassle picking between the loads of brands. They are the better finished and finer tools compared to the other makes I can name. But if you don't mind the lack of polish or having to touch up any unfinished edges then go for whatever.

I'll do a review sometime, but only once I can have a good play with it.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Interestingly for those with the lars falt outdoor axe, an instructor in the arctic course i recently attended had one, and he'd had it for many years...

Its only recently they have marketed it as the lars falt outdoor axe and released it as such.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE