'Just get a Gransfors..' Axes, axes, axes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah, this one line keeps popping in my head every time I look at axes, old and new. I always check around in person and online for a nice used axe to fix up and keep as well as the various new (mostly) Swedish brands online but after these annoying, lengthy searches my summary is 'Just get a Gransfors'.

I want a keeper mainly for wood carving and the odd bit of tree work, but not a dedicated carving axe or limbing axe. A sort of allround axe. I've owned dozens over the years and my favourite allrounder was the Gransfors small forest axe.

Now, wanting to break the trend and get off the band wagon I was looking at the other swedish brands, all come highly praised but the Gransofrs still seems the better option. I won't buy custom 'cause that's not my style. But the other brands either have a blade that is too thick for what I want or don't come as clean as I'd like for a keeper (actually it's a present from a family member to me, but I get to choose..).

I don't like the head shape of Gransfors, not for much more than asthetics though. I do however really like the Hultafors classic hunting axe! it looks great, nice belly on the blade for taking big chips outa wood and thin enough to carve with for an 800gram head. But I saw pictures online and the overly anal (oi oi) part of me starts twiddling my fingers and um umming..

should I 'Just get a Gransfors' again..? Swapped my last gb sfa lol, but I'll keep this one, obviously..

Any input here chaps/chapettes?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They might not be fashionable just now but to me a gransfors SFA is the most versatile and best production axe around for carving and light firewood duty's

Jack of all trades master of none?.....neither fish nor fowl?
Yep, that's what happens when you want one tool to do many different tasks.

Stick with the gransfors stable for a couple of examples
SFA is too big as a pack axe.....ok get a wildlife.
Great little carver/crafting axe, but Then what happens when you want to process firewood?
Any gains you had by having an axe that packs smaller are immediately lost and then some because its just too small.....an axe for when you don't really need an axe IMO

a SCFA is a much better choice for firewood prep......yes very true.
But try putting it in anything smaller than a full size expedition pack, then rough out a spoon with it....nightmare

As the gransfors brand itself
Theres only wetterlings that come close IMO, although I will never have one again. Broke one sent another back for crap fit and finish
whenever alternatives are mentioned they are normally either customs, no longer in production, or difficult to get hold of

in my humble and honest opinion
Gransfors are the best production axe for quality, fit and finish, and usability I have ever owned, no matter how much their popularity has inevitably caused people to call them over priced and overrated....and an SFA sized axe is the most versatile bushcrafters axe if said bushcrafter actually needs an axe

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've had quite a few axes and for general bushcraft use I would recommend these hultafors axes. I spent an afternoon snedding a 40 year old beech tree with that and it was a joy to use.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
does anyone have a comparison shot of both the sfa and the hultafors classic hunting axe blade profiles from the top angle? I'm looking for a blade atleast as fine/thin profiled as the sfa. I don't have a fancy wood stove or anything so breaking wood into bits to burn isn't important. I do cut with an axe and I do remove wood off of carving projects with an axe.

I have oak branches curing and they will be tough! I need to make brewing paddles by christmas for family..

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I decided a long time ago that one axe, just isn't suitable for much. So i now run a pair, a small hatchet (outdoor axe), and a larger axe ( will be getting a wilderness axe for this role, in time) I tend to know what I'm gonna be doing with them, so never really have to carry both.

The SFA aint that bad really, though if i was gonna get an axe that size again, i would likely try the hunters axe from GB. Personally, i think an outdoor axe, with a slightly larger/heavier head, and a couple more inch on the handle would be great tool (not that the outdoor axe isn't.)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I've had quite a few axes and for general bushcraft use I would recommend these hultafors axes. I spent an afternoon snedding a 40 year old beech tree with that and it was a joy to use.

I too have a Hultafors axe. I think it's the size / model down http://www.greenfingertools.com/hultafors-trekking-axe-800g-length-44cm.html
I got it for £20 incl postage a while ago. I've sharpened it so it will cut paper. It does a more than good job snedding and basic carving - I'm still learning so I'm flattening boards and producing spoon blanks for Scouts - so I'm very pleased with it. A local friend swapped axes for a day so I tried his SFA (Woodlore branded as it was a present:)) doing the same jobs. I wanted the SFA to be better as I was in line for a birthday present and fancied one for myself. Apart from the extra length (2") for bigger chops, I couldn't find a difference worth £50+. I have been able to split wood for fires perfectly well with my axe.

I still like the idea of a SFA but, unless I'm given one, I am perfectly happy with my "cheapie" that does the job, looks brilliant and, importantly, fits inside my Dutch pack for when I'm off to faff about in the woods.

All the best.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Samon,

The Hultafors was the first piece of kit I bought for bushcraft (as opposed to hiking, camping etc) and am still very fond of it. As DocG points out it can be made sharp enough for the most demanding bushcrafter. The GFB in terms of size and weight is definately the 'diet' or 'lite' version. All depends on what its needed for as someone has already said. Anyway, heres the Hultaofrs on R vs GFB SFA on L.
Cheers, T

unnamed.jpg

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I decided a long time ago that one axe, just isn't suitable for much. So i now run a pair, a small hatchet (outdoor axe), and a larger axe ( will be getting a wilderness axe for this role, in time) I tend to know what I'm gonna be doing with them, so never really have to carry both.

The SFA aint that bad really, though if i was gonna get an axe that size again, i would likely try the hunters axe from GB. Personally, i think an outdoor axe, with a slightly larger/heavier head, and a couple more inch on the handle would be great tool (not that the outdoor axe isn't.)

What he said! I've got a SFA and the outdoor (as well as the double bit and the large Swedish carver). But I really want the hunters axe - polished poll - not that it would get used very often if ever and the shape I just want it - I don't need a reason to want it it's an axe! :D I handled some Hultafors in a shop and I didn't personally like them as much. The heads seemed ok but the handles were really quite chunky compared to the Gransfors and I the sheaths on both aren't up to much. I'd say if you keep saying to yourself 'get a Gransfors' your itch won't be scratched till you do (that's how I work anyway) but you've got plenty to chose from! :)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I have two sfa,s two wildlife a kuben and a mini from gransfors daughter used to camp with me before she found drink and partying lol but my two users are a segga British red and a little smaller cegga made for me a littlebit longer than a wildlife
had a pair of wetterlings hunters one was perfect second was wonkie I would go the extra for a gb every time

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
One axe to rule them all? Wish it were the case.
I use a GB scandi forest axe 90% of the time and a GB hatchet for other 10% but I could easily do without it.
Yes the scandi will have to live outside of the pack but that's no hardship?
It certainly comes into its own at this time of the year when firewood is important again.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Samon,

The Hultafors was the first piece of kit I bought for bushcraft (as opposed to hiking, camping etc) and am still very fond of it. As DocG points out it can be made sharp enough for the most demanding bushcrafter. The GFB in terms of size and weight is definately the 'diet' or 'lite' version. All depends on what its needed for as someone has already said. Anyway, heres the Hultaofrs on R vs GFB SFA on L.
Cheers, T

unnamed.jpg

AH! thanks for the picture dude.

Is that the Hultafors classic 'hunting' axe? or one of the trekking models? ( I hear the trekking models come in different lengths/weights even though it only has one box name)

Like I said I don't split firewood, I'm not that posh! lol jk, I once owned a flat cap and touched a whippet..

Again, I've owned a sfa before, it was nice but I'd like to be sure one of the other brands will have a fine profile like the sfa. I've seen several wetterlings top down and they look way too thick for my needs.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
I think its the hunting axe, cant remember now. The handle is 26 inches which makes it bulky for trekking but gives it a mean swing. Like I said, its a favourite piece of kit and much better for felling than the SFA. I dont think you can go far wrong with it!

Cheers, T

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
does anyone have a comparison shot of both the sfa and the hultafors classic hunting axe blade profiles from the top angle? I'm looking for a blade atleast as fine/thin profiled as the sfa. I don't have a fancy wood stove or anything so breaking wood into bits to burn isn't important. I do cut with an axe and I do remove wood off of carving projects with an axe.

I have oak branches curing and they will be tough! I need to make brewing paddles by christmas for family..

Another option might be the new axe produced by Ray Mears to his own specs http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/814-Gransfors-Bruks-Ray-Mears-Wilderness-Axe

It's a bit more expensive but it might be "the one" you need.

Does anyone have one or has anyone tried one? (Still got a pressie to choose:rolleyes:)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i think an outdoor axe, with a slightly larger/heavier head, and a couple more inch on the handle would be great tool (not that the outdoor axe isn't.)

Just what I thought when I had an outdoor, that and I couldn't get on with the straight round handle. so I'm gonna make meself One at some point

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Please keep in mind that the Gransfors are modern axes, they are not old timy at all. Before this current trend, Gransfors looked much like your common axe you already owned before the fashion craze hit. Do your research and you will see the old designs.

I have hults bruks axes made in Sweden, all traditional shape, they don't look like modern Gransfors at all. I thinkg Gransfors look pretty but axe designs changed once your relatives came to the new world and saw the size of real trees lol. Sadly, on the east coast the second and third growth trees are pretty skinny, no giant redwoods here.

Last edited:

dabberty

Tenderfoot
If you have the time and some tools, I recommend to get an old head, and modify it as you want.
I've many axes like that already, in all kinds of shapes on request, and it makes it something special, something you did yourself.

Have look at the video / picture slideshow:
http://dabberty.com/?p=1265

This one was for a lady who wanted an old round axe, for splitting, chopping and carving.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Does anyone use Stihl axes?

I have their forest hatchet but thats only because I run a shop for a Stihl agent so I get nett pricing.

I can't recommend it with a comparison to back it up as I have never used any other hatchet apart from my parents 20 year old one but it is a good quality and nice to handle. It also sharpens very well.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Does anyone use Stihl axes?

I have their forest hatchet but thats only because I run a shop for a Stihl agent so I get nett pricing.

I can't recommend it with a comparison to back it up as I have never used any other hatchet apart from my parents 20 year old one but it is a good quality and nice to handle. It also sharpens very well.

If their axes are anything like their chainsaws then I can imagine they're pretty good!

got any pictures?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE