Just for fun...discipline through the ages

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've solved the problem of offending people ........hate everyone equally,that way you can't be accused of ism.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Yeah, and a lot of people used to laugh at Bernard Manning's racist jokes...

I did, anyone knows me will tell you I ain't racist and I laugh at jokes about Scousers if it's funny, there's more jokes about Scousers being thieves and living on benefits, to me, it's mostly a joke and when my son is released, he's promised me he'll go straight.

As Simon sez :) it's just for fun, nobody has a gun to yer head, lighten up. I've had a few six on the bum, it bloody hurts when the right teacher uses the cane, when I got back to class I crouched instead of sitting down.

Never seen the inside of a prison....yet. :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually, in response to the insinuation that nothing was better in the past, can we maybe examine things that were truly better in the past

Let me offer a few real things

1) At 12 & 14 my brother and I (both RYA qualified) were allowed to take out boats day sailing in the estuary and basic coastal sailing.

2) I used to walk to school at 13 with my rifle on my back. I would shoot a card for the school rifle team, on the school rifle range and then take it home.

3) I used to buy loose sweets. No obligation to buy a certain amount. Two ounces or even an ounce was fine.

4) Kids being out of contact, all day, was fine. No mobile phone, no pager, just "back in time for tea".

5) ALL kids played out on their bikes. Cyling five miles or more to see a mate was not an expedition or for charity.

Red

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Actually, in response to the insinuation that nothing was better in the past, can we maybe examine things that were truly better in the past

Let me offer a few real things

4) Kids being out of contact, all day, was fine. No mobile phone, no pager, just "back in time for tea".

5) ALL kids played out on their bikes. Cyling five miles or more to see a mate was not an expedition or for charity.

Red

Heyho ,
Re. 4 , Yep although everytime I was late my Dad would turn up on his pushbike and remind me , mainly because I'd be where he'd have been 25 years earlier ( the area didn't change much from 55-85 ) and Community , we were never as out of sight as we thought we were .
Re, 5 , Riding around until you found everyone was all part of the fun . Gathering people as you went looking .
Cheers , Trev . ( now sitting back smiling about the time my Dad caught me smoking in a church doorway aged 10 in a village 8 miles away .)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And groups of girls rounded up every baby in the street and went for walks with them in their prams :D
It was the ultimate everybody got a big sister, even if she wasn't yours :rolleyes:

Shops with every one of them smelling different.
Sawdust in the butchers to catch the blood drips. We knew damned fine what steak was and what oxtail was.

"Out and Play! ", was the command, day in day out. So we did :D
We got cold, wet, muddy, sunburnt, skint knees, staved fingers, knew everybody and every dog and cat around.
Went messages for neighbours and old folks and knew we'd get skelped by Mum if we took the change we were offered for going for them.
Thought it was normal to climb trees, swing poles, lamp posts, bings, coal sheds. Could fix flat tyres, make carties, use airguns, carry sheath knives, light fires, and knew not to be stupid with any of them.

Games had their seasons like the year does. Beds, bools, tennis, rounders, hide 'n' seek, truth/dare/doubledare/promise or command, red rover, balls and football.

Household chores; cut kindling (yep, kids used axes), cleaned out the fire, helped to prep and cook, scrubbed and cleaned, cut the grass and the hedges (yep, kids used big shears)

I think, truthfully, our lives were busier. tv was only available for a few hours in the day, no computers, no wii, no mobile phones. People moved around an awful lot more, we were physically much more active and we learned to use a huge variety of tools.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah but round our way cutting kindling was (and still is) called "chopping sticks". Often done by the grandma on the step - and always with a big scary knife :D

I bought this one some years back as it was the best proper kindling knife I'd seen in decades

2703970997_c851397d00.jpg

Oh - and you gave people "backies" on the bikes :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used a hatchet. One side had a poll that we used for smashing up big lumps of coal :cool:
Cutting kindling was called Making Sticks :)

cheers,
M

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Do all you baby boomers realise that most of these thing still happen today? giving backies, chopping kindling (where wood fires still exist), climbing stuff and generally going out for a bit of a romp are all still popular past times for kids where they are allowed the space and freedom. It's the older generation who have been packing folk in towers, putting up signs banning ball games and generally complaining about kids having fun who have made it difficult.

Hopefully it swings the other way again for the next group of youngsters.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cobblers, the play station generation would rather stop in and nuke an individual pizza :swordfigh

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
I wasn't old enough to take advantage of this but , Working at weekends was optional ( with the obvious exceptions ) .
Also getting to the end of the week and listening to your parents discuss whether to buy milk OR bread .
I guess all times were good for most kids , but a lot harder for parents .

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
@ Locum ,
Who exactly is this older fun stifling generation , it's not me , and I asked my mum and it's not her either . My mum says it wasn't my Gran either .
Are you getting us mistaken for the State .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually I blame this over protective mummying that is the norm now. Look at all the surface protector sprays and the like in case the ickle darlings catch a germy wermy and the poor fwagile angels keel over.

Nuts to that, kick em into the garden to make mud pies!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Oh the memories Mary,

We used my Granpa's old fire hatchet from the war years for the kindlin' and breaking coal.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Actually I blame this over protective mummying that is the norm now. Look at all the surface protector sprays and the like in case the ickle darlings catch a germy wermy and the poor fwagile angels keel over.

Nuts to that, kick em into the garden to make mud pies!

I was a digger,tried valiantly to reach Oz first with a dinner spoon then a wee plastic spade.

By the time I could hold the real garden spade I couldn't be bothered..:lmao:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
What an entertaining thread this is!

I've learnt that its pointless trying to stop my 20month old eating weird stuff.
A ladybird was the last thing.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
Not really sure what you blame that for ? Do really clean children cause a lot of problems ?
Mine are out in the garden for as long as possible , it's easier to clean a child than it is a house .
Perhaps keeping children indoors alienates then from other kids , leading to them only comunicating online .and when they do go out they feel the need to live up to the online image they've created for themselves . Hmm , answered my own question , really clean children are a problem .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE