Just for fun...discipline through the ages

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of course its funny, anyone can be passionate about a time they like. If you wanted to "point fingers" at the current era, theres nothing particulalrly great about rising levels of obesity, lack of physical fitness, the amount of drug taking and binge drinking, street crime for phones and trainers. I suspect making everything "safe" has made kids passive - passive "highs", passive games etc.

You can be just as rose tinted about modern life as previous ones :D

They all have their good and bad points......and reminiscing and smiling has been going on for centuries.......

Dear Gods, don't take everything so seriously - some things WERE better in the past - quiter roads, more freedom, etc. Some things weren't. Its known as "life"

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Of course its funny, anyone can be passionate about a time they like. If you wanted to "point fingers" at the current era, theres nothing particulalrly great about rising levels of obesity, lack of physical fitness, the amount of drug taking and binge drinking, street crime for phones and trainers. I suspect making everything "safe" has made kids passive - passive "highs", passive games etc.

You can be just as rose tinted about modern life as previous ones :D

They all have their good and bad points......and reminiscing and smiling has been going on for centuries.......

Dear Gods, don't take everything so seriously - some things WERE better in the past - quiter roads, more freedom, etc. Some things weren't. Its known as "life"

Thank you.

Rob

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Apparently back in the day.. it never rained during holidays and everyone whistled at work, and all that :) Now it's always raining and everyone is a grumpy git... :D

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
you always had snow in the winter too, mountains of the stuff and you could sled where you wanted, nowdays we barely see snow and what we do get is either gone in minutes or drops on us like a hammer and the country grinds to a halt.
you could ask a copper for advice and he'd tell you rather then radio it in and give you a blank look, if you were caught doing something you shouldn't like creeping round an old house the copper would clip you round your ear and take you home, now you go to juvie for breaking and entering.
you could build a den in the woods and people thought it was fun and let you play, nowdays they phone the police believing your dealing drugs (no really that happened on a woodland trust site i know of)
children were encouraged to play large group and often noisey games in the playground at breaks, now they have staggered breaks and aren't allowed to shout lest the neighbours serve the school with a noise abatement notice.

i could go on.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Scouts and children could (and did) carry sheath knives. This engendered a response of "off camping then?".

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
i'm sure i've read on some introductions that the people have joined because it is such a frendly forum....
must be confusing this one with another.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'm sure i've read on some introductions that the people have joined because it is such a frendly forum....

it is, but would life be fun without some sparks and vigour? overall it is one of the most friendly and helpful forums i've ever come accross. but like i say there's going to be conflict or it would be horribly dull (passive and neutral i mean)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I think whats is happening on this forum, is that there is a huge mix of age groups and is what starts such rants. And when one member mentions a german uniform he just purchased, granpa bob starts a rant about how the jerries bombed his glass house when he were a nipper.

Thanks to the OP, it does for sure open your eyes how the world has changed within a single lifetime.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

You have me confused :dunno:
This thread is a discussion, not a rammy.
Not one word has gone either slanderous, invective, or nasty.

A difference of opinion isn't unfriendly, or a reason for a polarised debate, simply a reason to approach a topic with an open mind.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think whats is happening on this forum, is that there is a huge mix of age groups and is what starts such rants. And when one member mentions a german uniform he just purchased, granpa bob starts a rant about how the jerries bombed his glass house when he were a nipper.

Thanks to the OP, it does for sure open your eyes how the world has changed within a single lifetime.

Astonishing isn't it ;)

I am reminded of the parental speech.

"When he was five he thought I knew everything,
By the time he was fifteen he thought I knew nothing.
Now he's 25 he's starting to ask me how I know so much......."

The past is a different country, they do things differently there.

Lot of advantages to living nowadays, but a lot of regard and respect for other people has gone in the cult of, Me! Mine! and I Want!
There is an overweaning selfishness and self centredness that would have been slapped down by ashamed parents in the past.
To balance that, there is a great deal more self confidence, sometimes with an astonishing lack of ability though.

Different times, different folks, but don't try to tell folks who lived it that it was some halcyon period in our history. Folk were just living the best life they could, in the society they knew.

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I have a long and distinguished record of not letting this kind of thing slide, thanks. There are reasons, but I'm not going into them here. Suffice to say that paeans to the good old days when teachers and other authority figures could beat the living daylights out of kids with complete impunity make me very, very angry indeed.

I think it was in fun and I like Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson for that.

I was never hit by my Dad but had a skelp on the behind from Mum at times.

But I could distinguish between right and wrong from around 24 mths.

Hence, Dad didn't need to hit me.

I have many relatives of different race and religions and everyone's the same basically.

Do wrong..get a skelp,Do right..get some praise.

Make fun of folk whatever their race...`No problem been doing that back and forth since the fifties...'Sticks and stones may break my bones BUT names will NEVER hurt me'.

You should hear the cracks other races tell about us 'whites'.

My youngest has and is going through one hell of a time but got herself a tattoo..'What doesn't kill me , makes me stronger'.

That's who gives me strength.

We're all brothers and sisters under the sun and born with the basics of good and bad.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just doing a countdown now Barn Owl. Someone will be along to tell you off. Not that they are personally offended - but they feed the need to be offended on behalf of someone else!

Thats one of the things that makes me laugh - offended by proxy :D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just doing a countdown now Barn Owl. Someone will be along to tell you off. Not that they are personally offended - but they feed the need to be offended on behalf of someone else!

Thats one of the things that makes me laugh - offended by proxy :D

Hell yes,

That's what you can do up here basically...

If you overhear 'anything' that you deem to be racially offensive between two folk of 'differing' races and they're not bothered,then the Police are duty bound to pursue one of them if you make a complaint just on what you've overheard.:confused:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh yes, heavens forfend in the modern world that people laugh at the self appointed arbiters of morality...they will have a serious hissy fit!

Good sport mind

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE