Just five things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
In order of importance (to me)
SS klean canteen
Long handle harchet
proven ferro rod
poncho/woobie combination
para cord

I would have to unload my day kit bag though

I agree with Dark Horse Dave about a knife not being as essential as it's made out to be - at least on such a restrictive list. A good flake of common chert will do anything that must be done. Before I was old enough to own a knife I often used a jagged stone to cut with while playing in the woods. Little did I know what an accomplished bushcrafter I was.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Annoyingly you have to prime the wick before you light it, which isn't the most ideal way of lighting a 'lighter'. Providing you've got the wick in the centre of the wadding inside the lighter though and its moist with fuel, it'll keep burning for a good long while.

Won't bring a cup of water to the boil though :(

Cheers dewi, I will try that. I got it for comedy value when my friend kept asking me for a light.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Mine was a gift when I attended a reenactment fair at Tatton Park (which is on again soon I think) and ironically it was given to me to stop me smoking quite as much. Probably because it is so hard to light.

These reenactment guys don't like it when you turn up to the events with anything modern... and cigarettes... oooo, they didn't have those in the 14th century!! No, they didn't, but they also didn't have Transit vans to transport all those bloody swords and bits of armour you've just had delivered!!!!

Sorry... they make me rant, but I love em all the same.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For the weekend, this time of year:

- Jerven bag (improvise bedding from natural resources)

- Turbo Flame lighter

- MSR Titan kettle

- Esbit

- Army ration pack (24h)

insulated Jerven bag is a great call for this kinda thing.......but 24hr ration pack?...you may as well say you'll take harrods shop :lmao:

rg598

Native
For me the first three would be:

1. tent
2. sleeping bag
3. sleeping pad

For the other two items I would change it up depending on the conditions. If you have to cook your food, but don't have to travel much, I would go with:

4. pot
5. lighter

If you didn't have to cook but had to travel more, I would go with:

4. water bottle
5. water filter

Reno Lewis

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
I think the five (specific) items would change a fair amount with climate and season. We're in a drought, and the ability to carry water in a bottle outweighs the other uses a pot has for me.

Due to the drought, all camp fires are banned. The risk of starting a wildfire is too great, so this will influence my kit. There are many wild edibles in season at the moment, so food isn't a real concern, nor is cooking.

My main concerns would be staying hydrated and warm at night without fire.

For my area in mid summer, I'd take...

Wool blanket.
SS Water bottle or canteen.
Water filter.
Tarp.
Axe.

As an aside, I am not counting a sixth item as I consider it a necessity in my woods. Bear spray. I live on Vancouver island which has the highest population of mountain lion in North America, and the black bears are no less abundant. It's always a good idea to keep some spray on hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE