Just five things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Hey folks, I've been invited to a bushcraft weekend and we are to bring only five things in addition to the clothes we stand up in (plus small rucsac with any medication, prescription glasses, and a waterproof). I think I've worked out my five things, but what would you take?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Ok I've had to look that up -

Cordage
Covering
Cutting tool
Combustion
Container

Is that right?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'd be inclined to bring a tarp and warm sleeping bag, knowing you can have comfy night generally makes the days more enjoyable.

I'm an old man though. :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Bivvi bag,
Sleeping bag
Pot
Ferro rod
Knife

Cordage I can improvise on site a lot easier than I can a warm sleeping bag... Sleeping properly is important to keeping your mind clear.

I might consider using a bottle like the stainless steel nalgene instead of a pot, as you can boil water in it.

Julia

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Cordage I can improvise on site a lot easier than I can a warm sleeping bag... Sleeping properly is important to keeping your mind clear..."

+1 to this.

"...I might consider using a bottle like the stainless steel nalgene instead of a pot, as you can boil water in it..."

With that said, a decent sized pot has uses that a bottle doesn't.

You can dig with it, you can use it carry whatever you forage in it (useful for soft fruits), you can carry your fire with you in it (a smouldering fungus will quickly burn away if exposed to wind while you change camp), you can make a 'smudge' fire it to keep mosquitoes at bay while you are out and about and you can carry water in it.

Etc.

:)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I would take:

Knife
Firesteel/Ferro rod
s/s Crusader cup
Millbank filter
Woobie/poncho liner

Or is that a bit survival-ly?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Very helpful suggestions, thank you. I think I might have to practice fire starting before I go for a ferro rod for my combustion C. That's something to look forwards to. I think the crusader cup is a great idea for the container. I know how to do solar and fire based stills but that would require a second bit of kit... Hmm going to think about this some more..

Just 5?
swedish meths set billy can
knife
Cordage i prefer bankline over paracord
Lighter
Some form of carb rich easy t prep food like cous cous/bannock/rice if foods allowed) if not then wool blanket
Waterproof i would take a poncho

Poncho over a made bed and long lay fire cosy
clothes are plenty for this time of yr especially if wool
gettin enough carbs is a major PITA at times

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
With that said, a decent sized pot has uses that a bottle doesn't.

You can dig with it, you can use it carry whatever you forage in it (useful for soft fruits), you can carry your fire with you in it (a smouldering fungus will quickly burn away if exposed to wind while you change camp), you can make a 'smudge' fire it to keep mosquitoes at bay while you are out and about and you can carry water in it.

And a bottle has uses that a pot doesn't. It's horses for courses. Ultimately, you pays your money, you take your choice.

I would take:

Knife
Firesteel/Ferro rod
s/s Crusader cup
Millbank filter
Woobie/poncho liner

A Millbank bag can be improvised using a thickly woven shirt, which is one of my reasons for not picking it.

Very helpful suggestions, thank you. I think I might have to practice fire starting before I go for a ferro rod for my combustion C. That's something to look forwards to. I think the crusader cup is a great idea for the container. I know how to do solar and fire based stills but that would require a second bit of kit... Hmm going to think about this some more..

Lighting a fire with a firesteel is actually a lot easier than you might think. Be aware there are two types of ferro rod, one is hotter, but harder to strike, and one easier to strike, but not as hot. I've yet to make my mind up which is better. I'm no expert, but from what I can tell, the secret to success with a ferro rod is your choice of tinder. Find a king Alfreds cake (Look for a dead ash wood) and you have to try to make a mess of it... But I'm a bit of a newbie to fire by ferro rod, so I may be overlooking something.

How much liberty can you take with the "What you're wearing" ? Could you turn up wearing a poncho? that would double as your shelter and clothing :p

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
lighter, Na....Blowtorch
attachment.php

Attachments

• pjet.jpg
    pjet.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 263

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A Millbank bag can be improvised using a thickly woven shirt, which is one of my reasons for not picking it.

How much liberty can you take with the "What you're wearing" ? Could you turn up wearing a poncho? that would double as your shelter and clothing :p

J

You certainly can improvise with any tightly woven fabric but, given warmer and more clement conditions at the moment, I'm not sure I'd really want to be wearing such a garment; maybe in autumn or winter but not really in summer.

I once bought a Ventile jacket which came with its own Ventile stuff sack. This has proved to be invaluable as a replacement/emergency Millbank bag.

The above points link in with your question about taking liberty with what you're wearing. Ultimately, you've got to be comfortable and able to function efficiently while gathering wood, finding and processing water and building your shelter. If you show up for the weekend wearing a vast range of clothing to cover every eventuality, it takes something away from the main premise of your weekend. That said, a poncho would be really quite a good idea...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm, difficult one, I'll have to ignore the clothes I stand up in as the pockets are usually sprinkled with pockets full of stuff like knives and lighters. :D
Suppose like most a sheath knife would be #1. (or possibly a billhook).
#2 would be something like my Hudson Bay fire kit.
#3 a small pot with a lid, can cook, carry and dig with it.
#4, wool blanket. Can be used as bedding, shade, knapsack and a suppliment to clothes.
#5, last one is hardest, bug repellent? Personal admin kit with soft loo roll in there? A book or sketchbook? Think I'll play it safe and say a tarp.

One of my mates used to survive on trips 'round Europe on his sports bike with ultra minimal kit. All he took was his credit card and a toothbrush in his pocket. Not very bushcrafty but it made me smile when he told me.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Yes to the poncho - I've an integral designs one which is great as a waterproof when walking and as a shelter in a pinch. I think I'd be ok with that as my waterproof in my bag, and wouldn't feel it was a swizz as I carry it around daily. The shirt question is a good one. I often wear a t shirt with an open shirt over it, I've a nice second hand checked Rohan one. So I might feel ok about that.

So, based on what I've seen so far:

Cordage I could improvise,

The waterproof - poncho

So my five would be:
Crusader cup
Zippo (until I'm better at lighting)
Knife or Axe - though one of mates gave me a penknife thing which has an axe as part of the handle!
Sleeping bag
An item of food - I'm a bit stuck on what, I can't eat grains of any kind, or refined sugar, - it's a migraine thing, very effective in keeping migraine at bay but a bit of a pain.
Hmm, more thinking..

How clever or cooperative can you be and keep within the spirit of the event? Can a tarp have tie outs and still count as one thing? Is a multi part fire kit one thing? Could a poncho have a long fringe that could be cut off and used as cordage? Can you borrow a knife or ferro rod from a friend and take a bag of rice instead?

Lots of things could be just as well shared - a big tarp, a fire steel, a loin of beef, a bottle of scotch, etc...

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Dewi, is the Landrover passenger door so you can roll down the window when it gets too hot. :D
(They're useless as shelter as even when still.attatched to the car they.let too much water in. :rolleyes:)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE