Just a thought...PP grenade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I had a thought a while ago about a pepper spray grenade to discourage bears in imminent attack. the sort of thing that you use at zero range when it's upon you
you would suffer from the spray but it's better than being mauled. Anyway, i was just reading an excellent review of a torch in kit chatter and i had the thought of a brilliant light and noise grenade. The sort of blinding light you get with a flash to bang The light is difficult although i saw a similar thing used on the remake of precinct 13 or something. A kind of tactical stun grenade used by swat.
It then struck me that an effective Anti rape/attack grenade would be the pepper one whilst encorperating dye as well. It would have a 1 second fuse activated by ripping it from a chain ( worn around the neck ) and thrusting your arm out in front of you, or thrusting to the floor. Only to be used in cases of imminent or actual danger. The dye would last for a week before fading helping with police investigation.
Of course i have absolutely no idea how to manufacture anything like this and it would probably be highly illegal to do so without proper consultation.
Anyway, just a thought.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
When we were out in Canada earlier this year we were tracking bears and the instructors issued all of us with Bear Spray - basically a much more potent form of Tear Gas I believe. They said that it would be of great benefit to us, in the event we had to use it, to be standing up wind of the bear :rolleyes:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
soa_uk said:
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game issue this guidance
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
There are something similar to what you describe to keep wild elephants away I beleive, Like a big "snap-it" you throw them at the floor and it has a big flash and bang, but they are a little fragile! The proper stun grenade works with multiple (six I think) flash/bangs causing sensory overload and stunning attackers. Like you say though they would be highly illegal, I recall "gas guns" being sold on the continent a few years back, they were basically a pistol that fired a gas pellet, you fired at an attackers chest and it released a burst of CS (or similar) to give you a little time.
I think anything along these lines would be highly illegal in the UK, but in the US and Canada the bear spray was like a small fire extinguisher quite a step up from a normal pepper spray!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
pepper spray is illiagal in the UK, I'm not really sure if animals would be put off by being sprayed with a self defence paint thing though

something like this
DSCN1291.jpg

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
What`s the phone for? so grizzly bear can call for an amulance or get his mates from the back woods to come down an sort you out? won`t be much use to him, the buttons are too small on a nokia for 4" claws to press. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Andy said:
pepper spray is illiagal in the UK, I'm not really sure if animals would be put off by being sprayed with a self defence paint thing though

something like this
DSCN1291.jpg

I doubt it, unless you got it in their eyes and even then it's unlikely. A bear will not stop for run of the mill dog spray or Mace; the concentration of the chemical used is nearly negligible compared to full on bear spray. The other thing is that bear spray emits a concentrated stream up to 10 metres; Mace fogs an area which de-concentrates the chemical even more and has an effective range of about 3 metres. That's not what you want when your life might be on the line as a bear can close 3 metres at full tilt and not even realize it's been hit.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Do you think a bear could be stoped with one of those stunguns the ones that
fires two pins on wire and give you a large charge of electricity
i bet it would stop an attacker.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
This would be considered an offensive weapon, but since rape is worse it probably justifies the means.

Small Vicks bottle or similar on a neck chain, pull it off with a * violent jerk and spray your assailant(s) with the ammonia you thoughtfully re-filled it with.

Easy to obtain, requires no fine motor controls and it is effective even with a poor aim.

* You would need to grind down the threads so that it held its own weigth and still sealed but wouldnt be able to resist a strong pulling action. You might want to drill 2 or 3 extra small holes in it to assit with 'spread'

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I only showed the pic of a UK LEGAL defence item becasue that seemed to be the point of the thread, the phone is of course just a phone for use and the other item your best of carrying to phone the police

I'm not going to carry on participating in a thread about making illiagal weapons

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
swagman said:
Do you think a bear could be stoped with one of those stunguns the ones that
fires two pins on wire and give you a large charge of electricity
i bet it would stop an attacker.

Tasers are most certainly effective against people, but are illegal and only used by law enforcement over here. I doubt that a bear would even notice due to the thick hide and fur.

Besides bear spray, the other common deterrent is a "bear banger", which is a flare gun that fires a charge that, well, bangs. The report is like a gun blast and scares the crap out of most anything that isn't expecting it. That tends to spook them and run them off before you even encounter them.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
As RM said on one of his programs you are a lot more at risk of getting hyperthermia than being involved in any sort of bear incident.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE