Just a thought...PP grenade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
This whole story makes me think about the following advice:

If in bear country you should a) tape bells to your ankles in order to make yourself heard b) carry pepperspray c) always check bear droppings when you see them; the black bear droppings are smallish and full of little seeds, the grizzly droppings are full of little bells and have a peppery smell....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There are no bears in this country. (save my friends teddy collection which is scary)

You are not likley to be attacked by anyone either.

(not even at a `local derby` football match, which counts as high risk)

But people do die of hypothermia

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
swagman said:
As RM said on one of his programs you are a lot more at risk of getting hyperthermia than being involved in any sort of bear incident.

There is a good amount of research that supports this; Bear attacks are so rare as to be hardly a threat to life at all compared to the mentioned hypothermia. The techniques RM advocates for dealing with an enounter aren't really up to date, but one could do worse. A professor at the University of Calgary wrote a book (Bear Attacks, their causes and avoidance; Stephen Herrero) about his studies of the bear populations that inhabit the nearby Rocky Mountains. It's a good read.

Essentially, bear attacks happen when you surprise a mother bear with cubs, come across a bear defending a carcass and, very rarely, predatory action.

Larger groups are less likely to be attacked, to the point that no recorded attacks have occured on groups of 6 or more , with only 1 or 2 on groups of 5.

Seasonality plays a role as well; foraging bears in the fall and spring are a bit more dangerous.

Habitualized bears that are used to humans and their food and garbage are far more likely to end up mauling somebody.

People in bear country that make efforts to minimize their footprint by sleeping away from where they cook, hanging their food out of reach, keeping food out of their tents, etc are far less likely to attract bears and thus less likely to end up in an encounter. People aren't even aware there is a bear in most (over 90%, it is believed) encounters; the creature leaves before the person even knows it was there. Common sense needs to rule the day, and that sense is to take sensible precautions, but don't stress out about it. It ruins your fun when you think there is a man-eater behind every bush. :)

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Mastino said:
This whole story makes me think about the following advice:

If in bear country you should a) tape bells to your ankles in order to make yourself heard b) carry pepperspray c) always check bear droppings when you see them; the black bear droppings are smallish and full of little seeds, the grizzly droppings are full of little bells and have a peppery smell....

Ahem.
See here

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Voivode said:
There is a good amount of research that supports this; Bear attacks are so rare as to be hardly a threat to life at all compared to the mentioned hypothermia.

I can believe it, but in Britain it is a spectacular non-issue. The last wild bear was believed to be killed around 1000 years ago, while the last wild wolf was killed in Scotland almost 300 years ago.

This is our biggest wild mammal....

badger.jpg

The last case of a wild animal with rabies was in 1922 and the last human death was 104 years ago. We have just one slightly poisonous, extremely shy, rare snake.

Ticks can be nasty, though pepper spray molotovs might be taking the issue too seriously. ;) :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Goose said:
Wild carnivore/omnivore maybe?
And by weight they might be close to a deer!
Nope ..not the largest mammal or carnivore...what about seals?

Red

Edit to say

The weight of an adult badger varies throughout the year - depending on how much fat it has laid down for the winter months. In spring an adult badger will have an average weight of 8 to 9 kg, rising to 11 to 12 kg in autumn.

The red deer is the largest surviving wild mammal in Scotland. It makes an impressive sight even when seen at a distance, and an adult measures between 105-120 cm in height at the shoulder. Their weight is variable depending upon the food available and, in the Highlands, stags average between 90-140 kg and hinds 65-70 kg

Grey seal
Halichoerus grypus
Half of the world's population of grey seals are found on and around British coasts, and numbers here have doubled since 1960.
Statistics
Body length: Male: 210cm, Female: 180cm, Weight: Males: 230kg, Females: 155kg.

So a badger qualifies quite neatly as "none of the above" :D

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
My closest encounter with a badger was with the front end of my car on salisbury plain :eek: , I had to move it off the road and I would swear it weighed more than 12 kg, more like 25kg, I compared it to a 56lb sack of spuds at the time. :eek:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
British Red said:
I would argue the lagest land carnivore in the UK was the feral dog......
Only because you just like arguing! :p
I was going to mention that a guy contracted rabies a year or two ago from a bat bite in Scotland, but I'm not that pedantic ;)
But still agree with the post, badger, feral dog or bat, we don't really need CS grenades to deal with them!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Goose said:
Only because you just like arguing! :p
I was going to mention that a guy contracted rabies a year or two ago from a bat bite in Scotland, but I'm not that pedantic ;)
But still agree with the post, badger, feral dog or bat, we don't really need CS grenades to deal with them!
Okay I'll go with second largest non-migratory omnivore. (badgers aren't carnivorous):D. There is of course (at least) one larger migratory omnivore.

And yes, I love a good debate ;)

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I think you're all going to have to give up now as the largest UK mammal is quite clear

story56932cfc0fcf7d725c0634ed94c2124d_160x120.jpg

British Red said:
Okay I'll go with second largest non-migratory omnivore.
And I think you'll find (Pedant hat on) that the badger is third largest :p

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Simon E said:
This would be considered an offensive weapon, but since rape is worse it probably justifies the means.

Actually it's worse than that. It would be considered a Section 5 prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act 1968, along with other toys like mortars and rocket launchers.
The CPS and the dibble would not take any kind of sympathetic view towards anyone making or carrying such a device.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE