Jungle Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
K

KenC

What kit would people recommend for four days jungle trekking? In particular, footwear and clothing requirements are a bit difficult to judge. Anyone like to share their experience/suggestions?

Ken.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
jungle boots, long trousers, long sleeve shirt, lycra cycling shorts

stuartmonkeytrap.jpg

tuck your trousers into your boots and your shirt into your trousers, that prevents most of the insects making there way under your clothes, the lycra cycling shorts help prevent chaffing between your legs.

you'll only need two sets of clothes, one set which you will where during the day which will be Purpetually wet and a dry set (kept dry at all costs) for sleeping in

a good hammock with a mozzinet and tarp, hennessy hammocks are ideal.

a good local parang if you are doing any cutting

be sure to wash dry and powder your feet every night

where are you going?

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Stuarts pretty much said it all - not sure I agree about the cycling shorts though - I used to use buffalo pertex shorts as they seemed to be a bit cooler - either that or go "commando".

choose your boots carefully though - the cheap copies of military jungle boots are next to useless - some of them wont even last the four days.

The rest of the kit will depend on where you're going.

George

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive used lycra speedo shorts when in the jungle, if you do get a leech through your lace hole(they get everywhere if you let em) they tend not to attatch themselves to your scrotum (which is a tad uncomfortable) if you wear them and also as Stu has said stops chaffing, id suggest keeping your personal hygene as tip top as you can and not only wash and dust your feet but give the old wedding tackle a good dusting too mycil works best (stops the dreaded crotch rot :eek: ) i do a lot of work at night when in the jungle so when using a head torch a good head net is invaluable, but as said also depends what you are doing n where you are going.

leon-1

The guys have covered it pretty well, the only other thing that I would say is that a lot of people suffer with prickly heat, try to get a soap that will not block you pores and that is water soluble.

Garlic (be it granulated or powdered for your food) and a decent insect repellant. Salt and a water bag if you are going to be travelling a lot as you will drink a lot of water whilst you are there.

Carry a penknife as well as the parang for smaller tasks. :)

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Some poeople swear by sealskinz waterproof socks for the jungle. Tried it once and found them great till water gets over the top and they fill with water and never empty again. Personal preference I suppose...

Keep a close eye on any blisters, cuts, scratches, bites, chaffing or rubbing - it can quickly go septic. Found that wiping with surgical spirit or plain old antiseptic wipes from boots before dusting with mycil powder kept the infection and inflammation down.

More than anywhere, hygiene is crucial, especially your food prep hygiene. Clean your hands extra throroughly, including under your nails. Clean utensils extra carefully too.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've heard that foot care is very essential in areas where there are mosquitoes. They apparently are attracted to funky smelling feet, and this seems to be true. My crewmate in Canada had a right set of humdingers, and they would swarm him and pretty much leave me alone!! I suppose that was a bonus to sharing a crew shelter with someone who had death feet!!

Get an Ortlieb canoe sack for keeping your dry kit in, they come in various sizes and are the best. I've used a few other brands and none of them came up to the standard set by ortlieb. Use unscented soap, scented stuff seems to attract the insects, don't forget to shake your kit out aswell, and store your boots with one top inside the other top, if you get my meaning. This may stop the big nasties getting in in the first place.

A pair of lightweight trousers or the old tropical trousers as issued to british troops will be the best cheap trousers to wear, no doubt there is a more expensive civvy version! Floppy hat will be good for keeping your head cool and keeping your head mozzie net (also good for catching small fish, shrimp and crayfish in streams!) away from your face. Wear woolen socks, they won't stink and rot as quickly as sport socks made of cotton. I would wear flip flops around camp of an evening to allow my feet to breathe a bit, although that would depend on how wet the jungle is. Not much point if you are practically swimming!

Have lots of fun, take some pics and share them when you get back!

Spamel

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
spamel said:
Get an Ortlieb canoe sack for keeping your dry kit in, they come in various sizes and are the best. I've used a few other brands and none of them came up to the standard set by ortlieb.

Completely agree about the Ortlieb drybags. Using 3 or 4 smaller drybags is easier IMHO than one large one. I have 4 that are different colours so i can locate my kit more easily, plus if you happen to puncture the skin on one (quite hard to do in itself with Ortlieb bags), you don't lose waterproofing for your whole kit and it helps keep the bouyancy when crossing water.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
NickBristol said:
Completely agree about the Ortlieb drybags. Using 3 or 4 smaller drybags is easier IMHO than one large one. I have 4 that are different colours so i can locate my kit more easily, plus if you happen to puncture the skin on one (quite hard to do in itself with Ortlieb bags), you don't lose waterproofing for your whole kit and it helps keep the bouyancy when crossing water.

Thank you for this tip Nick!
Usefull in the jungle, aswell in our environment.

I just had a look in my local outdoorshop at these bags, and wandered what size of bag would be best for my needs!
Using several bags makes lots more sense, than a single big one :) - and as a bonus you solved my other problem: I really hate those small ditty bags ...

Top tip!!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
leon-1 said:
....a lot of people suffer with prickly heat, try to get a soap that will not block you pores and that is water soluble.

Sorry to hijack the thread (you can have it back in a mo'..) but is such a soap available and if so where? I have very sensitive skin in warm conditions. From May to October I itch like crazy after a shower not matter how much i rinse. I use hypoallergenic, ph neutral and all the other stuff for sensy skin, but to no avail. I also always use washing powder for clothes, towels etc that is for sensy skin, but it doesn't seem to help much. The only solution is to have a red hot bath and soak for 15 mins or more and then I don't itch, but I then sweat like a good 'un after and thus need a bath again....

Any suggestions?

K

KenC

Thanks for all your replies: just what I wanted - though my wife may not be so pleased about the increasing kit list. Going to the Malaysian jungle at the start of September, BTW.

Can you generally obtain jungle boots in civilsed places out there, or is it better to get them before you go?

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
NickBristol said:
Some poeople swear by sealskinz waterproof socks for the jungle. Tried it once and found them great till water gets over the top and they fill with water and never empty again. Personal preference I suppose...

Keep a close eye on any blisters, cuts, scratches, bites, chaffing or rubbing - it can quickly go septic. Found that wiping with surgical spirit or plain old antiseptic wipes from boots before dusting with mycil powder kept the infection and inflammation down.

More than anywhere, hygiene is crucial, especially your food prep hygiene. Clean your hands extra throroughly, including under your nails. Clean utensils extra carefully too.
Alchol gel rub available in boots etc is a really good treatment for minor cuts rubs scratches etc to prevent them from developing. its the same stuff you see on hospital wards for general use to avoid spread of MRSA. It also helps harden the skin and make it less susceptible to softening due to sweat humidity waterlogging etc.

Also agree with the idea of woolen socks if my army experience in Belize is anything to go by.

ottar

May 29, 2005
TA 272101
NickBristol said:

Try the Water Blockers, they have a seal around the top making them submersible.

KenC said:
Thanks for all your replies: just what I wanted - though my wife may not be so pleased about the increasing kit list. Going to the Malaysian jungle at the start of September, BTW.

Can you generally obtain jungle boots in civilsed places out there, or is it better to get them before you go?

I'd recommend getting them before you go, you'll have the opportunity to break them in, which will reduce the chance of blisters.

Altberg make my favourites, and if you visit the factory you can have them fitted. Others swear by the US Army jungle boot.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I strongly recommend against waterproof socks (sealskinz, Water Blockers etc)

it would be like wearing plastic bags on your feet in at 30 dgrees C, you wouldnt wear a gortex coat at these temperatures would you?

in addition to this even the best waterproof socks will not keep the water out why you are up to your chest in water crossing a river and in the jungle you be crossing rivers many times in a single day.
your socks should be like your jungle boots, they should easily let water in and just as easliy let it back out again.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi KenC,

Dont forget to use 2 sets of kit, one wet for the day and one set dry for the night time. I know putting cold wet kit on in the morning is not the most pleasent experience but putting that dry kit on you at night feels great after you have cleaned and admined yourself. I used Lanacane powder in the jungle, its medicated and cools the skin, I powdered my feet and anywhere else that got sweaty. Are you going to be working from a fixed camp or moving around from day to day, if your moving around a solar shower is quite good, I know you can make shower facilaties but a solar shower can be used with a minimum of effort.

Brian

Jul 19, 2005
Sarawak, Malaysia
KenC said:

I'm assuming that you'll be arriving in Kuala Lumpur or a major town first. In which case, you'll be able to get most of your necessities there. You can get jungle boots in some shops (either the standard US Altama boots or the Malaysian Army copies, sometimes even the WW2/Malayan Emergency style high leg canvas boots) but trying to find one in your size might be difficult if you have big feet.

For a taste of local style jungle trekking footwear, you could always try the 'kampung'/Village Adidas which is a copy of Adidas football boots but made totally out of rubber. Usually worn with knee high hockey socks or if you're feeling masochistic, without any socks. :)

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE