Journeyman...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Based upon my extensive experience of 'shrafting:

1. Always call The Underground 'The Underground' and not 'the tube'
2. 'Screech' isotonic powder should be added to water to make a refreshing drink; not snorted in the back of a 7 tonne truck.
3. Don't wear jeans with turnups
4. Never carry a brown paper parcel wrapped in string
5. Do not attempt to cook on a york stone paving slab placed in the fire; it will explode.
6. Don't trust men with beards.

Hope this helps:)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I agree with Aaron...

My advice would be dont ask questions and try and prepare too much, and to take it all as it comes so that you get the most out of it. Sometimes preparation is not the best course of action and I would imagine a course like the journeyman is one of those times. Better to be thrown in at the deep end so to speak.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Phil,

I've done the Journeyman course in the past. My advice would be that although you may have gone there to test yourself as an individual, don't try and do everything yourself - you will be part of a small team and you musn't be too proud to ask for help from them in order to achieve certain things. Oh, and don't underestimate how much hunger affects your normal standard of bushcrafting. Whatever task you undertake, put in 100% effort at the first attempt and save a lot of time and energy in the long term.

Have a great time, you will learn a lot about yourself and the realities of living off the land.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good for you Phil :D

Take it easy and work as a team, if any members of your team are good at things let them do them and don't be proud, work hard, collect what you can, don't get sick just eating one thing like berries, drink plenty of water.

get practice with firelighting, shelter building and foraging and make sure that you go for an adventure. being warm, dry and having something in your belly means that you'll have a great time :D

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Thanks all...

I particularly found the turnup jeans a good one....I must make a mental note NOT to be seen in public like that....:eek:

Hopefully it won't be like my Fundamental. Rained almost all week....fire by friction? ROFLOL!! Did manage it on the last day though (phew!).

So, for my Journeyman:

My mind will be empty ready to be filled :thinkerg:

My billy can will be empty ready to be filled:thinkerg:

MY stomach will be empty....no, really...just empty!!! I'm crap at foraging! :D :eek:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Make yourself a throwing stick, you'll be wandering about looking for grub and if you see something lob it and you never know, you might just get some meat :D

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
I Mirror what the others have said open the mind and go with the flow and the experince will stop with you forever and afterwards you will understand why they aint no reviews about this course. HAVE A GOOD ONE

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i appreciate what people say about not preparing, but i find things much more enjoyable if i prep as much as poss.

Go a day or so without food every now and then, its really not that bad, and it'll help you get to know yourself when you're on a sugar low. I dont know how you are but some people struggle with their temper when on a sugar low - and its exagerated when everyone's hungry. If someone else is struggling dont wind them up even if they are in the wrong.

find out whats likely to be available in the area the course is held and get your eye in before you go.

refine your bow drill, snares & rabbit prep, knife sharpening & shelter making.

study the weather right up to the last minute so you know when to make the most of a dry spell/ night.

this is all easy said and not so easy to do in the main, most important thing is to learn a few good jokes to tell, hope for the best and prepare for the worst!!

looking fwd to hearing how you get on.

jameshs

Oct 23, 2007
London
The people who got the most out of it put the most into it - I guess that goes without saying!

Get excited - I would hazard to say that it is the most lifechanging of events!

You are in good hands - fantastic instructers

There are NO shortcuts!

I think the only really serious mistakes I saw on my course were inappropriate clothing (including by myself - a lesson sorely learned :)

otherwise the sharpest tool you will need is your mind - it is not a macho course, but is physically and psychologically demanding ...... but great FUN

Enjoy

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Hi Phil,

Still trying to get the low down on the course eh?

I won't tell you - or anyone for that matter, about the actual course content as that would spoil it for you.

I will say that you should remember and practice the skills you learned on your Fundamental course and be sure that your knife is as sharp as a very sharp thing indeed!

The course is challenging but not particularly scary or arduous - I'm 45 and not particularly fit and I coped alright and there was a 60 something year-old lady on my course too!

Go into it with an open mind and embrace it - you'll enjoy it!

The location is lovely and, amazingly, a midge-free zone! There were a few mosquitos / gnats about, but no midges.

The Woodlore kit list for the course is plenty adequate - you won't need a bivi bag if you're taking a tent, only if you plan to use a tarp.

You'll be pretty peckish (and smelly) by the end of the course, but the Chippy in Dunkeld is pretty good for an instant calorie boost at endex.

If you're driving up, I'd recommend a night in a B&B after the course to recharge, before driving back down south, I'm glad I did.

(and watch out for the plain white vans with YELLOW lights on the top that the Fuzz up there use for mobile speed cameras!)

Remember, when you've done it, you'll be one of a pretty small number of people that have - only 24 per year, maximum!

ENJOY IT MATE!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE