Jokkmokk trip report - Andy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Hi Andy (and others who went to Sweden).
I notice from your kit list that you took a 600ml flask, was this big enough?
Did you boil snow as and when you needed water or did you manage to find a way of storing it without it freezing?

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Hi Bob, I just took the vacuum flask I already had, if I'd been buying new I might have gone for more capacity, but I was very conscious of keeping bulk/weight down. I think others (Teepee) had much more vac flask capacity than me. The flask easily kept just-boiled water liquid overnight, it was still quite warm in the mornings. On the coldest night I placed it inside my outer bag. 600ml was enough for a morning brew and to make a quick start on melting more snow. As we were camp-based carrying larger volumes of water, as might be needed when working hard trekking, wasn't needed. I also had a 600ml oval plastic flask (not listed on inventory) which could be placed inside clothing to provide a supplementary water source during the day, but I didn't use it. PS. As I was camp-based, I tended to melt snow as needed, but generally filling the flask and/or making a brew in my insulated mug which would provide a warm drink for an hour or so.

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Interesting Tartan shawls. Are they traditional or adopted ?
Good write up, just shows the simple burner works best ! The meths never froze ?

Thanks, don't know about the shawls I'm afraid, Wayland is much more clued-up then me on Saami crafts. The meths didn't freeze, though Riam's bottles of rum froze solid !

I was using 'Tenol' purchased from a local garage, which is an ethanol/methanol mix, supposedly better for stoves than meths. It was quite apparent though how the cold affected the flammability. I could just light the tissue wick, which would then burn with a small flame until it heated the surrounding parts of the burner enough to warm up the tenol. It took several minutes for the burner to 'bloom' properly.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I actually had a choice of shell layers, to acommodate different activities, including the 'civvy' gear I used for travel.

During the trip I found that at around -10, and when active, I needed just the baselayer, one midlayer, and shell, to stay comfortable. Below around -20, I needed the extra midlayer (Norwegian sweater) to stay comfortable. Below -30, the supplementary layer was needed as well, except maybe when extremely active, which didn't occur as I wasn't digging any snowholes etc.

I brought both snow overtrousers and gaiters, but in the conditions we encountered, found the gaiters more useful in deep snow.

Thanks for posting, look forward to reading more.
So your swedish snow smock was all you needed as an outer shell?
I notice from your kit list that you did not include any waterproof shell. But I see others dressed in Goretex shells. What did you do on days when you experienced wet snow? Did you canvas gaitors get wet?
How many of you took a waterproof shell, and what was the full temp range you experienced?
How warm did it get?
Oh. And did anyone take a goretex or event bivy bag? If so how did they cope up to -10, and beyond?

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Hi Dave. Actually the three shell jackets would have been equivalent in terms of their basic windproofing function in these conditions. Waterproofness wasn't required due to the low temps. Some ability to shed snow is however useful to avoid excess moistness due to melting, when entering a warm space. The differences were more to due with the style of jacket and the type of activity.

The snow smock would have been adequate as my only shell, however its quite bulky and despite my modifications not quite as convenient to wear as my civvy shell. If I had to choose just one, I'd probably take the snow smock.

The 'civvy' jacket is a Patagonia Dimension MARS soft shell, which is shower-proof and a great all-round garment I use virtually every day. It has a large well-designed hood and very large front pockets, and I found it excellent for these conditions. I wouldn't want to wear it however, for extended physical work in the woods or around fires too much, for fear of damage, as its synthetic.

I also took my normal temperate conditions cotton shell smock, as it's a closer neater fit than the snow smock, thinking this might come in for physical work in the forest, however I didn't use it. I think if conditions had been very mild (>-10), I might have used this as a windproof with just two wool layers underneath.

The gaitors did get a bit damp/frozen at the bottoms, snow tended to stick to them and form icy scabs. They needed more cleaning off with my snow brush than the other garments.

udamiano

On a new journey
I notice from your kit list that you did not include any waterproof shell. But I see others dressed in Goretex shells. What did you do on days when you experienced wet snow? Did you canvas gaitors get wet?
How many of you took a waterproof shell, and what was the full temp range you experienced?
How warm did it get?
Oh. And did anyone take a goretex or event bivy bag? If so how did they cope up to -10, and beyond?

I can't answer for Andy on this, but as far as 'wet snow' went there wasn't any, the consistent low temperatures remove most of the moisture from the air (relative humidity was on average 20-30%, as opposed to average 80% in the UK), so the snow over there tends to be very dry and powdery, but not wet ( a good example of this is one of Maddave's pictures; the snow on the front of his jacket is actually from his breath freezing almost instantly and falling as a mini snow). The Waterproof shells are really only a way of keeping the powdery snow from sticking to your clothes, you will notice that a few of the team had brushes attached to their clothing, the reason for this is to remove any snow build up on your clothes before you enter any warm climate such as a building.
I used a gortex bivy bag over the time i was there, and had no problems, as wet was not a issue but again keeping the snow off you was. The highest temps during the time I was there, was -2 (one afternoon)and the lowest -37+ (neither take any wind chill into consideration), on average though the temperature was normally between -10 and -27 degrees c, with night-time temperature significantly lower .

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for the comprehensive answers CFT and U. Thats pretty much what I thought.

It would be interesting to see a chart which shows average relative humidity at different times of the year against different northern latitudes.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Thanks, don't know about the shawls I'm afraid, Wayland is much more clued-up then me on Saami crafts. The meths didn't freeze, though Riam's bottles of rum froze solid !

I was using 'Tenol' purchased from a local garage, which is an ethanol/methanol mix, supposedly better for stoves than meths. It was quite apparent though how the cold affected the flammability. I could just light the tissue wick, which would then burn with a small flame until it heated the surrounding parts of the burner enough to warm up the tenol. It took several minutes for the burner to 'bloom' properly.

Can't see if you used the TRANGIA winter attachment.

500021.jpg

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Brilliant report Andy, informative and enjoyable.

What can I say but I'm green with envy :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE