John Neeman carving axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Well they are a busy team so it's been a long wait but my new carving axe is nearly finished at John Neeman's and I have to say it looks good. Can't wait for it to arive and put it through it's paces.

1239566_712365715446431_1844734380_n.jpg

If there is anyone that doesn't know their work this video shows how they work

[video=youtube;paCyA9ypEOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paCyA9ypEOE[/video]

and this is the website

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That looks wonderful, but I bet it cost eh? :yikes:

Did you have an input into the design then?

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That looks wonderful, but I bet it cost eh? :yikes:

Did you have an input into the design then?

Good work is never cheap but thankfully Jacob likes my work so we are trading for bowls and yes it's my design. I used to love the Gransfors Swedish carving axe until they radically changed the grind about 6 years ago, also many folk find it rather heavy. This has a similar cutting edge, grind as I like it and less weight.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wonderfully stylish website, deserves some sort of award, and some great looking tools.
[I was pulling your leg a little bit by mentioning price.....:D]

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tried a GB carving axe last weekend for the first time to rough out some staves. I was surprised how much more of a slicing action it had over a standard profile, much less effort than a standard profile too. That extra cutting length made all the difference. Only thing I did not like was the weight.
That looks gorgeous.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
you wont be disappointed ,
I recently got an axe from Autine which is a company that Janis Nimanis ex neemantools team member has started

Heres mine

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Half way through drooling at that video it dawned on me that this was a product that was going to cost more than I was ever going to be able to justify spending. I love the fact that at least some people can still make a living that way though.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Great to see it finally take form. It looks gorgeous and very useful.

I'll be very interested to hear how it performs.

What can you tell us about the design?

Cheers!

Huon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
very nice Robin :) So, come on what's the spec on it? edge length, weight, etc?

Also, I've got a few GB carving axes (all second hand). What was the old and prefered geometry? I know what you mean about folk finding it too heavy. I've been meaning to make some lighter ones myself. Though ironically, I've also been meaning to make myself a much heavier one to use, but then I do spend all day swinging a hammer around :D

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The original grind of the GB was only slightly off centre, a slightly longer bevel on the left of a right handed axe. about 5 years ago they changed to making them almost like a side axe which means it bites in and you can't rock out of a cut or cut convex curves. Jogge Sundqvist and I were in discussions with GB a couple of years ago and they were going to send us some samples with changed grinds but it didn't happen. Ill post more about this axe when I have tried it out, hopefully next week, who knows it might not work, it's just what I thought I wanted but often what we think we want isn't good for us.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
The handle reminds me of one of mine I have just made, I really like a big heel and toe on my handles just like that. What's the weight? I like my carving axes to be 600 - 800grams. I like your honesty that it might not work, bet it does though.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What wood is the handle? Did you do it yourself?

It's elm and no I have not received this axe yet, head handle and sheath are all done by the Neeman team.

The handle reminds me of one of mine I have just made, I really like a big heel and toe on my handles just like that. What's the weight? I like my carving axes to be 600 - 800grams. I like your honesty that it might not work, bet it does though.

Head weight is 500g I want a small carving axe, perfect for spoons. I like the weight of the wildlife hatchet and a bearded antique axe I have from Bulgaria but wanted this shape of cutting edge. I cut down a Bahco to give this weight for my daughter and it works a treat. I do very much enjoy using big axes too but for much of my work a small axe is perfect.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Love to know how much it cost and how long the wait was........

Im on the waiting list for a Stefan Ronnqvist viking axe, but its impossible to know when the next batch will arrive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE