John Lord on "the truth about food" yesterday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Did anyone catch a glimpse of John Lord knapping some flint in the BBC2 program 'The truth about food' yesterday evening?
He showed his skills for a group of people that were following the 'evolution diet'. It was basically eating stuff in an order that is associated with our different ancestors; first raw fruits & vegetables (apes), than also cooked vegetables and some fish (hunter/gatherers) and finally it was supplemented with harvested crops (healthy modern diet). It lowered the groups' cholesterol, insulin and salt levels significantly after 12 days.

The flintknapping was to make some tools for processing the food. There was also a 'wilderness expert' (I've forgotten his name) showing the edible properties of burdock and reed mace roots. For seafishing (mackerel) there was also shown a hook made of thorns but it didn't catch anything (the rest of the fish was caught with modern equipment).

Quite bushcrafty for a food program!

Cheers,

Tom

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I watched it. I thought it was very interesting. Not much was shown of John Lord, but I did think doesn't he look older on the tele than he does in real life. I don't know about the raw food thing been our natural diet. We have had fire for a very long time and we don't lick our infants clean so I can't see how our immune and digestive systems are in any way adapted to raw food. But the diet they eventually ate was infinitly more heathly and better balanced than the standard western diet. I do think a lot of food intollerances are due the very restricted sources of carbohydrate we eat.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
As regards John looking older, at the moot myself and a couple of others (one of them not a million miles from you Fiona ;)) noticed how Johns face looked older compared to his body (he's a very fit bloke with very defined muscular arms).

The theory we arrived at was that John actually is from the Mesolithic period, had gotten trapped in an ice flow from Scandinavia and therefore fully preserved but at some point his head must have popped out of the ice and aged a few years in advance of his body.

:werd:

(No offence John if you read this :))

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
As regards John looking older, at the moot myself and a couple of others (one of them not a million miles from you Fiona ;)) noticed how Johns face looked older compared to his body (he's a very fit bloke with very defined muscular arms - in a not gay way though).

The theory we arrived at was that John actually is from the Mesolithic period, had gotten trapped in an ice flow from Scandinavia and therefore fully preserved but at some point his head must have popped out of the ice and aged a few years in advance of his body.

:werd:

(No offence John if you read this :))

Are you talking about this year's summer moot? If so I think you're mistaken - John Lord wasn't there - that was his son Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE