John J Rambo question,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
IThe book doesn't connect you with the J Rambo character

Really??

I loved the book. I enjoyed the fact I could empathise with both Teasle and Rambo. It wasn't at all "gung ho" but...sad really. I thought it was a great book...rubbish film.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Really??

I loved the book. I enjoyed the fact I could empathise with both Teasle and Rambo. It wasn't at all "gung ho" but...sad really. I thought it was a great book...rubbish film.

Yeah I'm afraid so Red , to be honest I read it off the back of one of your comments and I was a little disappointed in myself that I didn't quite 'get' it as much as you.
I felt the book made quite the anti-hero out of 'the Kid' his justification for his actions ( and killings ) I thought never really coming through and a connection to him I felt was difficult . To me the book seems to sympathesize more with The Teasle character and the L.E.O aspect.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shame. aah well - each to their own. I generally find I prefer books to films, and read this one years before the film was made, so perhaps that coloured my judgement

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
Best error in the first Rambo is when he is escaping the sheriff on the motorbike he stole.

He jumps the bike at the crest of the hill. You don't even have to look too hard to see the wooden ramp erected on the road!

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
slightly off topic,....but

i was 12 or 13 when Rocky 4 was out,...

i went to watch it at the cinema with a mate, we were so inspired by the training scenes we decided to spend our bus fare on lucozade and run it home ! (it was 14 miles)

i made it 400 yards,...spewwed me lucozade and phoned me dad to come for us...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Shame. aah well - each to their own. I generally find I prefer books to films, and read this one years before the film was made, so perhaps that coloured my judgement

It's always the same in those regards Red. I've yet to read a book first and find the film living up to it. After about 200 films made, I'm still yet to watch a faithfull adaptation of Dracula.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
What about the other way around?..

have you ever watched the film first?....

then been a little dissapointed in the book?

i dont think i have,...

a book always imprints on you more than the film,......

rarely now do you see "an unforgetable film"

whereas i still get recall of passages from my fave books,....

in fact i,d go as far to say the self generated images i have locked in my head regarding the books are far better than any "remembered" Blu-ray scenes.

Stu

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What about the other way around?..

have you ever watched the film first?....

then been a little dissapointed in the book?

i dont think i have,...

a book always imprints on you more than the film,......

rarely now do you see "an unforgetable film"

whereas i still get recall of passages from my fave books,....

in fact i,d go as far to say the self generated images i have locked in my head regarding the books are far better than any "remembered" Blu-ray scenes.

Stu

No, I can't recall seeing the film first and being disapointed by the books. I suppose if I was pushed I could say the Bourne Trilogy, but only because the films are so far removed from the books storyline. Completely different.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I saw the film first, then read the book.
The book is still better.....
Films never match up to books for me but then I have a 3D visual imagination and can see the scenes as I read them.
That makes for a much better "film" for me.
For that reason I have not watched the Harry Potter films (except the first one - under duress)or Lord of the Rings.....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I saw the film first, then read the book.
The book is still better.....
Films never match up to books for me but then I have a 3D visual imagination and can see the scenes as I read them.
That makes for a much better "film" for me.
For that reason I have not watched the Harry Potter films (except the first one - under duress)or Lord of the Rings.....

Now the Harry Potter films (at least from the third one on they take on a more adult theme) are a notable exception, I enjoy the films just as much as the books. LOTR was good, but I was still disapointed.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can suggest perhaps one...

I think the TV adaptation of the the Bernard Cornwell "Sharpe" books probably exceed the books to me. However, they turned me on to him as an author and I have loved the Alfred saga which I suspect I would now crticise if I saw as a film....so......errrrr.....I'm fickle?

Red

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I read the Phillip Pullmans dark materials trilogy, when they came out, Brilliant books kind of aimed at youngsters but a very good read non
the less, eagerly awaited the film, only to be disappointed, The thing was it pretty much faithfully followed the book, but so as to fit into film format they had to cut so much out it totally ruined it for me, so much of the little bits that make the story enjoyable were lost,

I recommend the books though, good couple of days read,

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I can suggest perhaps one...

I think the TV adaptation of the the Bernard Cornwell "Sharpe" books probably exceed the books to me. However, they turned me on to him as an author and I have loved the Alfred saga which I suspect I would now crticise if I saw as a film....so......errrrr.....I'm fickle?

Red
I have to agree that the Sharpe progs were great - at least the earlier ones were...the Indian ones looked a litle "low budget".
It is interesting hat the author saw Sean Bean in the progs and liked the portrail so much that he then wrote the later books with Sean Bean in mind :)
The Harlequin, Athur and Alfred books are all great too - I have not tried the Copperhead books yet....
I would hate these to be filmed as I would probably watch them and be disapointed.
The films of the Pratchet Books sound awful!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
off topic yet agin from the original post, but i always thought Jaws the book was very good compared to the film, even though i like the film, in the book you aren't continually plagued by a 30ft rubber shark. also the ian fleming james bond books, (the less fantastical ones anyway) are a good read, quick to the action, quite brief realistic action sequences, and very well described throughout.

also, the early 'dirk pitt' adventures by clive cussler are good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE