John J Rambo question,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Indulging myself with a bit of Rambo three today:D but just noticed something, just as the highly trained operator is about to rescue Col Trout for the first time at the fort, and the Afghan kid ruins it, John J kills the Rusky soldier who appears behind the kid with a boot knife, he doesn't retrieve the knife and makes his escape taking down alot of guards with well placed shots and using good cover,

Whilst making his escape he sustains an injury, which considering it was from a pretty much direct hit from a Russian equivalent 40mm grenade is impressive, it is his treatment of this injury which has me confused as he uses the boot knife (which as far as i can tell should be still residing in the neck of the guard) to pop the bullet from a round casing so as to cauterize the wound using the cordite,

but how did he get the knife back, is there a cut scene where he returns to the fort to retrieve the knife, or did the guard crawl after him, being slightly ticked of at his treatment ,

Also does any one know what knife it is, I think it is a Gerber Mk II but not sure,

Have fun
Southey:cool:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Dave, i think you need a hobby.

hahahaha

seriously,..there is a website of movie mistakes and continuity errors in production...

this is surlry one of them ,..it lists films alphabetically etc,..

i once lost a full afternoon on there noting them then looking at the clips on youtube,...

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
What do yo mean "movie" I am watching a documentary regarding a skilled and highly trained member of US special forces, It seems to be a bit the rise and fall of Reginald Perren in that he starts on a downer in the first part which documents his earlier life, then goes through a period where he is considered useful to the US government again, but after they have had there pound of flesh, he then retires to the far east to work as a Herpetologist(Hhhhmmm who does this remind me of) so I shouldn't think it would be in a movie list,
and as for continuity faults, It is life there are no mistakes,

:p

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
He had two knives you lemon. One in each boot. What really intrigues me though, is how the knife changes from the Hibben/Lile version 3 to the new Hibben bowie during the landmine scene. Sly changed his mind on the design after that scen was shot.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ah I knew you would have the answer, working in the snakey field as you do, no doghbt youve come across Mr Rambo on a herping job, But as to the actual knife, what do you rekon, Gerber mk II ?

Yer I do like the way he searches for the mines to , with that much force he would have gone through the side of that plastic cake tin,

EDIT no worries i have found it, Its amazing what google searching for Rambo three boot knife will throw up:rolleyes:
tc25-23999.gif

Although that says part 2 hhhmmmm

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The boot daggers were made by Gil Hibben for R3 based on the Jimmy Lile design he used in R2.

LileDagger.jpg

MovieDagger.jpg

RamboDaggerBlack.jpg

Bump into John J regularly on the herping front. Getting old now though and can't catch as many as he used to.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For me, the largest contnuity error in the Rambo films is that Trautman blows his head off at the end of the first book :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Argh, the Rambo series. Great, First blood was very good, Rambo and part 3 go too Hollywood. Really enjoyed John Rambo, Well gory... Guy I know and used to work with reckons the SAS guy reminds him of me! Laughed my head off!

Apparently making Another Rambo movie, but script sounds terrible. More Predator 2 then Rambo!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Argh, the Rambo series. Great, First blood was very good, Rambo and part 3 go too Hollywood. Really enjoyed John Rambo, Well gory... Guy I know and used to work with reckons the SAS guy reminds him of me! Laughed my head off!

Apparently making Another Rambo movie, but script sounds terrible. More Predator 2 then Rambo!

Sly announced that there would never be another Rambo fil as JR wrapped the series up perfectly. He announced that about four months back, just as pre-production was about to start after filming teh Expendables.

The Blu-ray version of JR is well worth watching as it has scenes re-instated and the whole film has bee re-cut with different camera angles etc. I thought the first release was good, but the re-cut really makes it a great film and fleshes the characters out alot more and makes Rambos relationship with Sarah in the film make much more sense.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
One of the 'First Blood' DVDs (special edition?) has that scene in the 'extras' section, it was filmed and presumably changed to suit the producers.

I read the First Blood book the other day ( after BR mentioned it ) gotta admit I didn't like it anwhere near the Film , The book doesn't connect you with the J Rambo character , but I guess thats the point , the best way to fight other countries Monsters is with your own Monster.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm going to show this thread to my wife, it'll prove to her how relatively normal I am. I'm just pleased that I haven't put my twopenneth in before this.

By the way, who else was a teenager when Rambo was at the cinema? Did you buy one of the crappy saw toothed, hollow handle knives too?

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE