JLT Knives - Woodsman Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thought it was about time i added a few notes on one of my main users, that being the JLT Woodsman, I'm a little biased towards this knife, in a good way of course, as i had a bit of input into it's development with Adam of JLT Knives, this little write up is not a review in the normal sense as i tend to do a full review on video as this allows me to show and describe things of note in better detail.

DSCF9484sep2.jpg

Many people who know me and know my ethics, also know that i do not review or appraise items on first inspection, i take the products out and use them, and use them hard, for a period of time, before i will pass judgement on strengths and weaknesses of any particular product, the same applies to this knife, as you can see from the photograph, the blade is a bit grubby, but nowhere near as grubby as it has been in the past, i will admit to giving it a bit of a clean up for the photograph.

The specs of the knife are :

• Overall Length : 8 Inches
  • Blade Length : 3 3/4 Inches
  • Blade Depth : 1 inch at widest point
  • Grind : Scandi, zero ground
  • Blade Material : O1 Steel, Full Tang
  • Handle Scales : Maple with Red Fibre Liners & Brass Pins & Lanyard Tube

So down to my thoughts and experiences of this knife, i will be honest here and reiterate that i had a bit of hand in the design of this knife, but i will keep my comments unbiased and truthful.

In use the handle style and shape is very comfortable to use for extended periods of time and in any orientation, initially i did suffer form some hand fatigue when using the knife, but this has decreased to non existent now and i put it down to using a different shaped handle to the one i was used to previously and my hand muscles needed to learn the new handle geometry, lots of use ensured this didn't take long, the handle shape itself is quite streamlined and not as chunky as say a Woodlore coke bottle shape, although this knife does retain a coke bottle shaped handle it is much slimmer and even with my canoe paddle sized hands, it is comfortable to use for extended periods of time, the weight of the knife is, for me, just right, not too heavy as some can be, but not to light either, basically you know you are holding it.

The blade itself, is a bit different to your "normal" bushcraft knife, but i do prefer this shape of knife for the tasks i use a knife for, the tip is very fine and initially i did suffer from some tip deformation, but upon closer inspection, all it was in reality was a very fine burr that had not been removed during the grinding/honing process, ten minutes on a strop and it was gone.

I have had this knife for a few months now and have used it hard, I've made, traps, I've carved spoons and netting needles with it, I've battened it through seasoned Oak and placed the tip on wood and hammered the pommel to split fire wood, I've gutted rabbits and dressed game with it, I've dropped it on hard ground, I've dropped it on soft ground and to date not once have i had to take the knife back to my water stones to bring the cutting edge back, all i have ever need do is to run it over a strop and the edge comes back razor sharp, and despite all the hard works it's done, the edge has not chipped or rolled at all.

The depth of the blade near the handle also allows you to choke up on the blade for enhanced control when performing fine carving tasks, the front edge of the scales are slightly bevelled to allow you place your thumb on the blade when using cuts such as the Chest Lever, the blade shape is also such that you can easily and safely hold the blade in an inverted fashion with your index finger over the tip of the knife to save nicking the guts etc on game when gutting and dressing.

The handle retains a good grip on it, even when your hands are wet with either water, sweat or blood, and a quick wipe down with clean cloth brings the handle back nice and clean, needless to say, the scales being wood, do benefit from an oiling now and again, the knife has been used in sub zero temps and full on summer heat and the scales have remained stable throughout.

The spine of the knife is square, sharp and true and throws sparks from a ferro rod with gusto and it works wonders when scrapping bark from sticks and timber, the spine transitions beautifully to a rounded section where it meets the handle and is very comfortable with no high or low spots to be found.

So there you have it in a nutshell, the JLT Woodsman knife, a great little knife that punches way beyond it's weight and size, if would like to enquire about the Woodsman or any of Adams knives, he can be contacted via his website www.jltknives.co.uk, he is one of the up and coming makers on the UK knife making scene and produces some wonderful work.

No affiliation to JLT Knives other than being a happy customer of his.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
Thanks. I've just left a message on a number I've been given for him. Hopefully he'll come back to me soon. Last I heard from him he did state he was a little snowed under. Can't be a bad thing for him I guess :)

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
It's only fair to mention that Adam returned my call this morning apologising for lack of contact this week and explaining why.
Top customer service from a top guy.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
Bit of an update and I'm afraid it's not good. Since the last post my order has been delayed and delayed again. Last I heard from Adam was on 15/09/11. It was a text advising my order was finally ready and was being dispatched and he'd come back to me with a tracking number. Well, nothing ever turned up and despite leaving numerous voicemails he never came back to me. Now his mobile number no longer exists, emails are going un-answered etc. I've done some asking around and it seems there are others in the same position as me. I fear I'll not be seeing my deposit or order again. I hope I'm wrong and also hope nothing bad has happened to him.

Mar 15, 2011
somerset
I too am a victim of Adam from Jlt knives,
6 months ago I paid in full for what was To be my dream knife!
I have had nothing but excuses since and no responce for the last few weeks!!
Adam is a disgrace to the bushcraft community!! What happened to honesty?
I feel completely robbed!!!!
His phone seems to have been disconnected and emails are not being returned.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I'm in the same boat. I ordered a knife from Adam in Feb and payed a £60 deposite. He said the knife was finished A few weeks later and that he was just waiting for the sheath to arrive. Thats the last I heard from him and have tried to contact him many times to no avail.

While not good business

Adam has been making good knifes and has had happy customers for a fair while now so dont think hes deliberately ripping any body off

to shut down like this suggests a serious life problem so I hope Adam and family etc are ok

just from a customer side i know the snowed under feeling and a large order book can be intimidating

ATB

Duncan

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
While not good business

Adam has been making good knifes and has had happy customers for a fair while now so dont think hes deliberately ripping any body off

to shut down like this suggests a serious life problem so I hope Adam and family etc are ok

just from a customer side i know the snowed under feeling and a large order book can be intimidating

ATB

Duncan
i to hope all is well with adam as he is a great guy, but this type of stuff really can be detromental.
maybe a mod should close this untill adam pops on to say his peice.
take care.
lee.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Perhaps a Mod could hive off all the negatives into a different "where is" thread rather than leaving my thread that was about a superb knife hijacked with accusations of theft and being robbed?

In Adams defence i know he was going through a really rough patch in his life at one point, but that is all i know, im as much in the dark as to his whereabouts as everyone else, and i think it's a little unfair to start banding about accusations about being robbed and ripping people off unless you know the full story behind his absence, which lets face it none of us do, and none of us will until he reappears and tells us where he has been, but it has to be said, there is no excuse for not answering people, especially if you have paid for a order either in full or partially.

If you paid for your knife via Paypal, then raise a dispute with them, until such time Adam reappears from whatever life trauma he is undergoing at present to explain his absence then i would keep the slanderous remarks under wraps tbh, yes i know it's frustrating and it's not nice to pay for something and then not receive it, ive been there, done that, got the t-shirt, Oh yes, by the way, im in the same boat as a few people here, im also owed by Adam for some sheaths i supplied him, so i, like many others, to a degree am also out of pocket, at least if you paid for your knife via Paypal you might get something back.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
I'm in the same boat. I ordered a knife from Adam in Feb and payed a £60 deposite. He said the knife was finished A few weeks later and that he was just waiting for the sheath to arrive. Thats the last I heard from him and have tried to contact him many times to no avail.

I got the exam same thing from him a month or so ago.....waiting for sheath leather.
At this moment it seems I may have seen the last of my money or my order. However, it's all very strange. Aside from the excuses for the delay Adam had been superb up until a month or so ago when everything went silent. Last I heard from him was a text saying all was done and the order was to be posted that day and he'd get back to me later that day with a tracking number. Since then, nothing. As mentioned above Adam has been making knives and making customers happy for some time. He was recommended to me by one of the guys on this forum in good faith. Whilst I'm extremely unhappy about what's happened I am slightly worried that something bad has happened to him.

Edit: Sorry Mark, I think I was writing this post as you were adding yours. I agree that perhaps the posts not directly related to why this thread was started should be moved.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
somerset
I am sorry, i can tell you that what ever was going on in my life i can categorically tell you i wouldnt take someones money and not furfill my obligation!! The guy took £175 from me in good faith, if he was unable to forfill my order the money should have been returned!
In my case the money was left to me by a bushcraft orientated family member, i felt that the best way to spend it was to buy something that would be with me for a long time, after seeing Kepis reveiw i decided to go to adam.
I have a right to feel wronged!

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
That's fair enough Alex but personally, I can think of numerous events that could make such things seem less important. Unfortunately, they're all rather terrible things and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I'd just like to throw a positive in here. I sent off a knife to him to have the profile reground. When he received the knife he saw the poor nick it was in and fixed it up good and proper for a minimal fee. It took a while, be he said it would outright, as he had to wait on a kind of glue. Got my knife back safe & sound and sharper than anything ive ever owned. Great service from a great guy. I really hope he is OK.

Nice little review too Kepis. I have a similar styled knife by Rob Evans I picked up from a member on here, not fully tried it out yet, but looking forward to it.

Colin

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE