Japanese Knotweed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Japanese Knotweed has a segmented stem kind of like a bamboo. I know this plant is edible, it tastes simular to rhubarb (one of my collies loves it). What I want to know is, is the water found in the segments safe to drink without any purification? There isn't a great deal of water but it is clear.

jakunen

Native
george said:
Martin

I'd be interested in the references to Knotweed's edibility(books etc.).

My gardens full of it and I've tried everything to get rid of it - maybe eating it is the only way!

George
George,
I'm currently reading Bradford Angier Feasting Free on Wild Edibles, Stackpole Books ISBN 0-8117-2754-8 $14.95.

If you want I'll scan the relevant pages and send PM you tomorrow.

leon-1

martin said:
Japanese Knotweed has a segmented stem kind of like a bamboo. I know this plant is edible, it tastes simular to rhubarb (one of my collies loves it). What I want to know is, is the water found in the segments safe to drink without any purification? There isn't a great deal of water but it is clear.

I have a list somewhere in a precis that I have, I'll see if it is in there and let you know. It won't be conclusive, but it will give an idea or reference as to other places to look.

If you can drink the water from segments of bamboo you should be able to drink the water from the knotweed (it is probably being drawn up through some form of caplliary action all the time so would remain fresh).

Also the fact that knotweed is edible would support it, but you would have to find out if it has other effects (diuretic or laxative :shock:) as this could be quite embarassing if you have been eating and drinking it for a while :eek:):

jakunen

Native
Bit more info here http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/singlerecordframe1.asp?id=230

http://wilkes.edu/~kklemow/Polygonum.html

and two recipes bits
Title: Robert K. Henderson's Japanese Knotweed Soup

Categories: Wild, Vegetables, Soups

Yield: 4 Servings

1/2 lb Japanese Knotweed shoots and

Young leaves (peel only if

Shoots were over 8 inches

Tall)

1 sm Onion, chopped

1 Clove garlic, minced

16 oz Chicken stock

Place all of the above ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer until Polygonum cuspidatum (Japanese knotweed)

is soft, 10-15 minutes. Puree in a blender. Return to pot, add salt

and pepper to taste. Reheat if necessary and serve hot.

This is a variation of Robert K. Henderson's recipe from his excellent

book, 'The Neighborhood Forager'.

Henderson recommends a pat of butter and some chopped chives added

just before serving. I prefer a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, and

minced parsley or sorrel (the former brings out the "green taste" of

the knotweed, the sorrel accentuates the lemony taste).

Japanese knotweed, or Mexican bamboo, Polygonum cuspidatum

Smartweed Family (Polygonaceae)

This is a perennial herb which grows to six or seven feet height. The young shoots resemble asparagus when they emerge from the ground with their large, thick succulent shoots. The older stalks have a reddish colour and the leaves are simple, heart-shaped, and alternate. Associated with every leaf is a small sleeve of plant tissue which actually encircles the stem for a short distance above the point of attachment of the leaf. In the spring, the old growth from the previous year is frequently still standing and resembles a small forest of stiff, upright rattles. These old shoots have a hollow, empty clothes-hanger-in-the-closet sound when you brush into them. The plant is a weedy escape and is found around old home sites and in disturb areas.

The time to collect Japanese knotweed is early spring just as the spring wildflowers are at their peak. The harvest season for each locality is only two to three weeks, during which time the young shoots are tender. Cut the young growth under 10 inches tall with a sharp knife. Take as many as desired, as the plant quickly produces new shoots. Return in three to five days when another batch will be ready. If the locality is extensive, the whole year's supply can be gathered at one time.

Japanese knotweed makes a good pie which tastes similar to rhubarb, a good sauce (stewed with the addition of sugar or honey) or a good vegetable when cooked 10 minutes in a small amount of boiling, salted water. It can be frozen by blanching for two minutes, patting dry before placing in freezer bags, labelling and freezing.

jakunen

Native
The book is a bit brief on some of the descriptives of some species (especially the difference between watercress and water-droplet hemlock), and is obviously heavily biased to nothern American plants, but is still very useful once you translate the American names for our European ones.
It has a few suprises, like the Japanese Knotweed, which I never knew was edible (and some people think I'm an expert! But I KNOW I've still got a lot to learn and will hopefully continue learning until the day I day).

The recipes are quite appealing and will get tried. May even try some this weekend on the Methyr Mawr meet.

Some of the anecdotes are very interesting as well.

Not 100% relevant to my particualr needs, but still a good book to have in your collection.

(Suppose I should write a review under my culinary pseudonym...)

Ginger

Apr 8, 2004
Thanks for that.

I'm looking forward to reading it.

The other wild food recipe books that I have tried are Jumbalaya Johhny's. Available from www.countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj

I bought all three wildfood books and haven't tried all the recipes in them yet. But they are looking like excellent buys so far.

Brynglas

I have a great book titled 'The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook' by Steve Brill who's a kind of American Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. In this book he has a whole chapter on Japanese Knotweed, I haven't tried these as yet but I'll probably have a go by the end of the summer, I'm a little wary of them, just because of my ignorance of the edibility of the plant. The recipes of his that I've tried so far have been really good.

On this point, Steve Brill goes on about 'fiddle head ferns' which I'm having some difficulty identifying. I'm not sure if he's on about young ferns at the 'fiddle head' stage or whether there is a distinct species. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
He means young bracken shoots whilst they're still curled and a number of other American species. There is a question mark over their safety - in large quantities eaten raw or where it's a major part of the diet there is suspicion that it causes stomach cancer. On the other hand it's eaten quite regularly in some asian countries so it's doubtful the risk is that high.

Realgar

jakunen

Native
There is always a potential for reaction to any comestible.

For example, oysters make me violently ill but my mother loves them.
I'm REALLY allergic to goats rue (Rutta graveolens, giv eme oily blisters), but I know someone who eats it raw.
My sister can't eat any nuts, but i love them and eat loads.

You just have to try it and see. But obviously be careful!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
bracken and ferns are different plants. Bracken grows with opposite branches a bit like a tree, a fern grows like an inverted cone or a badminton shuttlecock. I believe fiddle head ferns are the the young tender shoots that uncurl from a fern in early spring. Bset make sure !

Rich
- Never knew knotweed was edible glad to here its good for something.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Part boil the peeled leafy stems, serve with new pots and some mint.

Very tasty.

As with the water in the stems, check the insect life out before drinking.

Frogo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE