Bracken rhizomes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Usually I use gritty sand. If you rub a stone on a harder one, you'll end up with a pretty effective way to shape stone. I have a warp weighted loom that was used for Bronze/Iron age demonstrations. I ground the stones for the weights just by rubbing sandstone round and round and round on a concrete slab. Same way I made the weight for my pump drill. Doing all that gave me a pile of gritty sand.
Having said that, I've crushed up shells before now to do it too. Shell temper has a long provenace on our coasts and islands. Beacharra ware for instance. That stuff is hearth fired, and sealed with milk lipids, so ideal for the experimenting bushcrafter :)
iv used bone in the past, iv never built a pumpdrill before , is it more effective than a bowdrill ?or does it work the same makes me think could u use the clay itself as a on the spot pumdrill weight

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's gentler on aching joints, put it that way :) It's also the beesknees for drilling holes, through everything from bone and antler to wood to stone.

It spins round at a fair old lick. It's hard to keep raw wet clay on it. If you clump it on neat and tidy though, mix a bit of grassy stuff in with it, and let it dry though, it does work for a bit. It really needs the weight to keep the flywheel effect working.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
It's gentler on aching joints, put it that way :) It's also the beesknees for drilling holes, through everything from bone and antler to wood to stone.

It spins round at a fair old lick. It's hard to keep raw wet clay on it. If you clump it on neat and tidy though, mix a bit of grassy stuff in with it, and let it dry though, it does work for a bit. It really needs the weight to keep the flywheel effect working.
for me constructing a bowdrill seems easier iv tried handrill floating hands method ect and that's way out my league kudus to the men in this country that can handrill using the floating hand technique

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't do handdrill. I managed one ember but my hands were a blistered mess. I have overly sensitive skin, pressure is a real issue :sigh:
Using the pump drill makes it easy though.
I got very good with the bow drill for making embers; I demonstrated it multiple times a day for weeks on end, for several years, but my damaged joints just ache now. Even kneeling isn't something done without effort.

The pump drill doesn't need to take ages to make, it just needs a bit of forethought, and the cordage isn't under quite the same strain as in a bow drill so it's inclined to last longer too....and you can make it work easily with leather or even rush string and it'll work.

Fit and healthy ? bow drill every time. It's simple, it's reliable, it works, and it doesn't leave your hands or neck/collar bones aching either.

M

Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I can't do handdrill. I managed one ember but my hands were a blistered mess. I have overly sensitive skin, pressure is a real issue :sigh:
Using the pump drill makes it easy though.
I got very good with the bow drill for making embers; I demonstrated it multiple times a day for weeks on end, for several years, but my damaged joints just ache now. Even kneeling isn't something done without effort.

The pump drill doesn't need to take ages to make, it just needs a bit of forethought, and the cordage isn't under quite the same strain as in a bow drill so it's inclined to last longer too....and you can make it work easily with leather or even rush string and it'll work.

Fit and healthy ? bow drill every time. It's simple, it's reliable, it works, and it doesn't leave your hands or neck/collar bones aching either.

M
Im glad youve found something that works around your damaged joints btw how did u damage them sports?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, rheumatoid arthritis. It's a bit of beggar of a disease, and I'm one of the lucky ones, I can still move, I can still do stuff, just I cannot push it at all. There is no 'work through the pain', there is absolutely no spring in any joint. They work, but with care and with pain.
Sod's law.

I had a lot of fun :) I've met some absolutely brilliant folks, made so many excellent friendships, and still the skills and knowledge that come under the 'bushcraft' headline enrich my life so much :)
I think the acceptance, the immersion and being in the flow of the seasonal round, of the reality of the world, is crucial, I really do.
I live with chronic fatigue and I don't do stress. Stress just makes folk miserable, but I still feel the seasons change and kind of relish them, even when I know the cold and damp will be kind of miserable.

It's a quiet pleasure to sit down with a cuppa and read what folks are getting up to :) See the photos, share the jaunts, catch up with friends, learn something new, be inspired to go and have a shot at something, kind of thing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE