January's Project - Making a Penny Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swjoergensen

Mar 17, 2013
Denmark
I have been making several for personal curiosity and with my students as a way of introducing crafts and various outdoor skills to them. I really like the light and no - fuss factor these stoves.

Unfortunately, I've been struggling a bit with getting the jets to function properly, sizing, positioning and number of jets. I want to make a stove that will work with a very small pot, preferably beercan sized pot, and will burn very efficiently. Haven't got it working properly yet. It seems to burn out too fast, like there's too much pressure on the jets. So I'm tinkering with jet sizing, number and position. Any recommendations are welcome.

Lot of cans needed, best get to it...

Cheers.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Not keen on my penny stove I'm afraid as I find them difficult to empty..... this is my effort...
Less than 5 mins no holes glues yada yada..

dygysenu.jpg

yvemeda8.jpg

Second effort better easy to empty store cools down ultra quick and big mug of water in under 5 mins!!!
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Not keen on my penny stove I'm afraid as I find them difficult to empty..... this is my effort...
Less than 5 mins no holes glues yada yada..

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I have been making several for personal curiosity and with my students as a way of introducing crafts and various outdoor skills to them. I really like the light and no - fuss factor these stoves.

Unfortunately, I've been struggling a bit with getting the jets to function properly, sizing, positioning and number of jets. I want to make a stove that will work with a very small pot, preferably beercan sized pot, and will burn very efficiently. Haven't got it working properly yet. It seems to burn out too fast, like there's too much pressure on the jets. So I'm tinkering with jet sizing, number and position. Any recommendations are welcome.

Lot of cans needed, best get to it...

Cheers.

Try a "cat stove "or red bull size can.
The cat stove does jet quite far up the pot though?

Swjoergensen

Mar 17, 2013
Denmark
Try a "cat stove "or red bull size can.
The cat stove does jet quite far up the pot though?

I found some smaller cans, 250ml ones, that I'll be trying next time. Have also been looking at a few pictures of mini-atomics, and I think I've found that 10 jets is the proper number. Now I just have to experiment with the hight of the stove and the diameter of the jets.

Great fun though :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yes it is good fun!!!
The last one I made is great. I must do "a how "to post as it's the most simple stove I've seen to make. Uses dents in the can for the jets instead of holes..simples..

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
There not bad little stoves and there are some really innovative desgins out there but all work better with a windshield.
Plus when they get hot enough and 'bloom' no pot stand is required. Definitely a worthy addition to any short haul or emergency pack.
PC170117.jpg
lovelogic.net/no_delete/PC170117.jpg

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
made one with the kids last night. Worked OK and managed to cook hotdogs for dinner. But was ridiculously fuel hungry, not sure if the penny was blocking the central flame, but had some big jets from the holes and boiled the hot dogs in about 5mins. Might try a bit more a a trangia design next time.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Can anyone comment on the idea that these stoves are the only thing that will work at any altitude (as I have been told).

Swjoergensen

Mar 17, 2013
Denmark
I don't think so Swallow. Pressurized stoves like the msr whisperlite and such, should function as well I think.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
aseregeg.jpg

A little red bull can stove I made it's burning meths in the picture have used shellac before and that burns hotter but gave an odour when burning. 10cm zebra about half full of water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE