January's Project - Making a Penny Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Over the next 12 months we are going to be doing a simple project each month for you to join in with. This is not only to give you the chance to learn new skills, but also as a small glimpse into what goes on in our magazine.

January see's us make a simple penny stove.

A picture tutorial can be seen on our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152115211938077.1073741837.265195528076&type=1

And a video on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwZi8NTLzAE&feature=youtu.be

We do want people to send us pictures and videos of what they have created, and we shall create a gallery to go alongside this.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
I make and sell a range of alcohol / meths stoves (ultralightweight sells you see) and I include a pot stand made from (shh...dont let the trade secret out) ... lightweight square mesh that I have used on a rabbit run in previous DIY projects!

I currently sell to, and through, friends but I need to post a thread here to see if there is any interest in buying the pre-made stove sets ... before I spend £30+ on Makers Membership and find they dont sell lol

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I make and sell a range of alcohol / meths stoves (ultralightweight sells you see) and I include a pot stand made from (shh...dont let the trade secret out) ... lightweight square mesh that I have used on a rabbit run in previous DIY projects!

I currently sell to, and through, friends but I need to post a thread here to see if there is any interest in buying the pre-made stove sets ... before I spend £30+ on Makers Membership and find they dont sell lol

LOL one way of getting a free ad.. :)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

You will find it price sensitive and will also get a lot of comments about the safety of your pot support when exposed to flames due to the zinc coating. I used to sell minibull clones on ebay way back. People dont want to pay money for anything these days. I would add that if i was buying one of these stoves i wouldnt want the top crimped like in the pics above. You get a much more snug fit and better seal if you use another can to flare one half.

Another good way to make pot supports is to use stainless bike spokes to form a tripod. You can use silicone tube to make the joins or crimp a metal sleeve on.

Edit you can take out a trial makers subscription for cheap to test the waters

Last edited:

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
LOL one way of getting a free ad.. :)

lol you got me! To be honest, it is a bit cheeky but Im just grateful of the chance to see if it is worth my while advertising them before commiting money to a lost cause!

you can take out a trial makers subscription for cheap to test the waters

Thanks - I didnt realise that there was a trial option. I make a whole range of alcohol stoves: carbon felt, pressurised, open top, remote fed etc

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Pics are linked from Facebook, so would be interested if the people that don't use it can still see them??

1609630_10152115212268077_2007001843_n.jpg

Make 8 holes in the centre of the rim at the bottom of the can.
Then make three holes in the centre of the depression. These must be grouped close enough together to be covered by a penny. These central holes are there so you can fill your stove with fuel.

1017077_10152115212263077_554562771_n.jpg

Here you can see the pattern of holes.
I created mine with a small nail and hammer. You can make yours with a small drill bit, or a drawing pin.

1461272_10152115212168077_707747387_n.jpg

Using a book as a rest make a circle around your can. Use a slightly thicker book for the bottom part of your stove, and a thinner one for the one you have punched holes in.

1530534_10152115212358077_273429398_n.jpg

Carefully cut around your marker line on both cans

1512644_10152115212638077_800095647_n.jpg

The bottom can, the one without the holes you need to crimp the edge to make is smaller. This allows you to fit the other can over the top of it.

1535586_10152115212538077_1948988973_n.jpg

Carefully push the second can over the base.

69236_10152115212648077_1983434512_n.jpg

This is what your finished penny stove looks like.

Now pour methylated spirits into the depression of the stove. This will enter the can via the three holes you punched earlier. You don't need to fill your stove to the top, and will learn how much to fill the stove with depending on what you are cooking or boiling.

You need to prime your stove, for it to ignite. You can do this by raising the can and lighting a candle under it, of by pouring a little meths onto the ground to light. This causes the meths in the can to warm up and turn into a gas. You can then light the jets at the top of the can. Now when going cover the middle holes with a penny and away you go!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE