[January 24-26th] Stead Hall Wood (Between Otley and Ikley)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
...........goodjob

Btw, really sorry I forgot to get that book posted off again, I have a memory like a bloody sieve at best of times m8. Will try and get it off within next couple of days, if all else fails will bring it with me to meet bud.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Do you think we should have a go at making it totally sheep proof this time ? I am happy to bring staples, hammer etc, would a roll of barbed wire be helpful ?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Do you think we should have a go at making it totally sheep proof this time ? I am happy to bring staples, hammer etc, would a roll of barbed wire be helpful ?

Sounds like a good idea, I'm up for that. Any tools I should bring if it goes ahead?

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
It would be good if the site could be made sheep proof. Obviously a gate would be needed where we normally enter the site. Think there is enough fence palings there to do the job.
Hope I am going to be fit enough to attend this one. Have been in hospital 3 times since November. Fingers crossed.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Hope you're feeling fit and ploughing on Ian.

If I can't make Jan I'll have to aim for March (hopefully both as I have a water purification tutorial to test out on willing volunteers :) )

Can you make a small gate at the bottom of the hill, we don't want it totally sheep-proof so we can still let the pretty ones in?

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Hang in there Ian !
OK, I will bring a roll of barbed wire Nd some staples plus a hammer, do I need a sledgehammer too or are the fence posts solid ? Can easily bring my sledge too.
Hope this is OK with the organisers, not trying to muscle in or anything, just think it would be a worthwhile thing to keep us busy on Saturday ...........

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Indeed, great idea bud. We should have plenty of wire for fence now with that 25m plus the stuff from the pens. Let me know how much it cost and I'll reimburse you bud.

Can have a chat on the Friday and choose a time to make a start next morning.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 4

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Hi folks - newbie here. Posted a message looking for meet-up groups in Yorkshire and someone pointed me to this thread. I'm a bit confused though. Is this a permanent site where you meet regularly? Is it just intended as a camping weekend or what? Seems like you are going to be doing some fence work or something, what else will you be doing and would it be possible to just spend the day there rather than camping overnight. I live not far away and have just got interested in bushcraft and would like to get involved in something woodland-ish. I'm retired now and have some arthritic pain so not up for anything too strenuous but just wondered what this site is all about.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Newbie here. Tried to post here yesterday but doesn't seem like it went through for some reason so trying again. I was directed here from another user. I'm trying to figure out what your set-up is. Is this site run by some kind of syndicate. Is it open to anyone and at anytime and what is it you are planning to do on the Jan weekend apart from camping overnight. Would like to get involved with some bushcrafters (not up fro camping at this time of year though) and I'm not far from there.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi folks - newbie here. Posted a message looking for meet-up groups in Yorkshire and someone pointed me to this thread. I'm a bit confused though. Is this a permanent site where you meet regularly? Is it just intended as a camping weekend or what? Seems like you are going to be doing some fence work or something, what else will you be doing and would it be possible to just spend the day there rather than camping overnight. I live not far away and have just got interested in bushcraft and would like to get involved in something woodland-ish. I'm retired now and have some arthritic pain so not up for anything too strenuous but just wondered what this site is all about.

Newbie here. Tried to post here yesterday but doesn't seem like it went through for some reason so trying again. I was directed here from another user. I'm trying to figure out what your set-up is. Is this site run by some kind of syndicate. Is it open to anyone and at anytime and what is it you are planning to do on the Jan weekend apart from camping overnight. Would like to get involved with some bushcrafters (not up fro camping at this time of year though) and I'm not far from there.

Hi smojo,

Stead Hall Wood is private land and not open to everyone. Wanderingstar (Ian) and myself have permission to organize group camping meets on there.

Basically what the site/meets are about is mentioned in the first post of thread, Its an opportunity for people to come together and enjoy a weekend of camping out in wild, share ideas, skills etc and you're welcome to pop over for the day if you would like to come over.

We tend to also have small work party's to improve site a bit, for example there used to be a old pheasant pen on site which wasn't used anymore and which was just taking up space and needed to be dismantled. There is also a fence that has a lot of gaps which the sheep get through and do their business from time to time so would be good to eventually get all that blocked off, or at least most to cut down on them getting through.

From time to time members have kindly offered to do workshops and demos for us to share their skills, like for example leather work, navigation, first aid, blade care, firelighting etc.

You should checkout our previous meet threads. Also here are some trip report/pictures..
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116242
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115548
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112720

Adam

Last edited:

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Cheers Adam, sounds like you have a nice little thing going on there. I'm just getting into this stuff so not up for anything as ambitious as camping in January yet but maybe when spring comes I might. Getting on a bit now and the old bones wouldn't like it too much. If I decided to drop in on Saturday sometime to see what you're up to, would that be OK? Not sure yet what we have on that day so it's not a definite.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Unfortunately due to being on a course for work next week I can't make this.

Have a great weekend.

1. Wanderinstar (Fri/Sun)
2. ADz-1983 (Fri/Sat)
3. Digitracker (Fri/Sat)
4. Flyfisher (Fri/Sat)
5. Juggernaut plus wild camping noob! (Fri/Sat)
6. Juggernauts Noob :0) (Fri/Sat)
7. tartanferret (Sat)
8. Bigbear (Fri/Sat)
9. Dave Jefferson (Fri/Sat)
10. Copperhead (Fri/Sat)
11. JohnnyB (Fri/Sat)
12. MadMax (Fri/Sat)
13. Black Sheep (Fri/Sat)

Stu

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Depends on how the wind blows as to wether we're attending......lots of work to get the rv finished an scoootland is calling ......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Looking forward to meeting everybody again tomorrow. Should have the communal parachute canopy up by time most arrive so got a nice place to sit in case heavens open up.

I should arrive between 11-12 so try not to arrive earlier then that. You should all have my number if you need to get in touch, if you dont have it drop me a pm.

Adam.

JohnnyB

Jul 26, 2013
York
Hi All,

Looking forward to the weekend. Anyone needing a lift from the York area? We intend to come tomorrow eve, probably setting off at around 5.30 to 6 pm (from Acomb area).

Cheers,

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE