Jacket or Smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Here in nordic countrys (and Finland) every outerlayer (shell layer) that has to be put on over the head is called anorak, in finnish = anorakki and if it has a full length zipper it is a takki.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Aha!

So, we use the English word in Germany simply wrong?

Anorak is german Schlupfjacke, middle agest german Wams.

Jacket ist Jacke. Takki sounds strange!
;0)

Our surplus shops in Germany try to sell us (since may be 10 years) jackets called "smock" in the stile of the foto in the earlier comment in that dry weather multi terrain pattern.

Is that thing a britisch or american uniform???

I think, the best would be, if we cancel that all, and use in future exclusively and world wide the finish words and orthographie:

Anorakki and Takki

Finish has the clearest orthography in the world and sounds nice.
Let's stop this babylonic desaster.

We all should start to speak finish!

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
This is a real smock. Traditional Shepherds Smock from West England. It's called a Smock because the stye of embroidery was called smocking, it was not just decorative as it allowed the panels to stretch
12_Mervyn_as_a_shepherd__singing_at_LATT_2013.jpg

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
for me

jacket = full zippered water / weather proof.
coat = full zippered may not be water / weather proof.
smock = half zippered waterproof may/ may not have pockets.
anorak = thin fully weather proof jacket, a little like oil skins but not as heavy duty.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
So Denison smock must be renamed henceforth to Denison jacket?

220px-Montgomery_E010786478-v8.jpg

Well, the rest of you can do as you please but I will continue to call the military fully zippered garment with big pockets a smock.
And the garment with half zipper that has to be put on over the head I will continue calling an anorak.

Reactions: Greg

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sorry, you can use the words how you want to, but the words have nothing to do with the fabric!

Jacket is short
coat is long
Anorak is a jacket without door for use in the Kajak and so on.

Or am I wrong?

And well, we have seen the Shepard's Smock.
So it is a large half long coat, original without door, now a days a Parka without hood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne and Herman30

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The point is, that since the battle of Hastings this language became in an incredible disorder.
They really should start to learn finish.

;0)

Reactions: Herman30

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have a faint memory of that my dad's gen and older used the anorak as an outer layer when cross country skiing.
Protects against snow ingress into the woolen sweater, and also wind proof.
I think he still used it in the mid 1960's when we skied.

A relic of that must have been the S. army snow over clothes.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's about what group you belong to. Military have always had their own terminology. Outdoors type is quite simple with smock for half zip outer layer or jacket for full zip outer layer. Old gits use cagoule or anorak for outer layer garment but probably don't distinguish between full or half zip openings.

Then there's foreigners. Whilst we English might commandeer their language for garment names they can still use those names for whatever they want but it does not mean we have to. :)

However that doesn't answer the OP's pressing question. What is the advantage of a half zip outer garment for the upper body over a full zip version for the use of Bushcraft? Is it fashion, tastes, preference or a genuine technical / practical reason that overrides the ease of removal / putting on of full zip garment?

Reactions: Greg and Artic Bob

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
the difference between a smock and a jacket is one of construction - if it has a full length opening at the front its not a smock, if it goes over your head its a smock.

either design can have any function you like, be made out of any material you like, and be any colour you like.

of course, being the custodians of the English language we Brits get to change the rules - while the above generally holds, there's a derivation: the military windproof jacket is also called a 'smock'. thats because of its lineage, the original windproof smock was a, err... smock, the zip went down to the bottom of the sternum, but this was replaced in the early 60's by a jacket with the four front pockets, but because its function was the same as the windproof smock, it was just called the same thing - the windproof smock. 60 years later, the windproof smock is still a jacket, but its called a smock.

hope that clears it up for you....

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think his question got answered?
Full zip:
+ : easy on/off specially when you want speed
easy to regulate heat/cold
protected interior pockets
- : if zip breaks - problem, specially winter time or in rain

Parka / top part zip or buttons:
+ : large easily accessible pocket in front
- : can not be removed quickly and easily

Buttoned jacket / parka ?
Do they still exist?

If you lose a button it is not the whole world.
Not as good wind protection as a zip.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am smockered by your verbal ambiance!

English is a Germanic language, so we could expect a bit order and precision......

:) :)

Do not forget the American cousins, they certainly do what changes they want!
Comprende, dude?

In the Swedish military we do have very specific names too. Has to be used, to avoid confusion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE