Jacket advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
I'd like to get my girlfriend a good waterproof coat for dogwalking, out in the forest and around the village. Have been looking at Barbour/driazabone stockman coats,although I'm not convinced wax cotton is the way to go with all the modern materials available today. I think of wax cotton as smelly, cold in the winter and sweaty in the summer.

Any advice or suggestions for this type of coat or something with a similar long length would be welcome. Thank you.

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
+1 for Paramo.

My wife just bought a new one (she shrank out of the old (one year old!) one. Went for the same model again as she was so pleased with the old. Perfect for dog strolls, town, work and the more serious stuff. And the old one still looks new.

But paramo is redesigning a lot of their stuff and neither of us are so keen on the cut of some of the new jackets but that's a personal thing (and nobody will ever call me stylish!).

Note to self: must sell her old one...

I have three paramo coats and smocks. Love them to bits. The oldest is 12 or 13 now and still going strong. I don't wear any other brand/material these days.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
But paramo is redesigning a lot of their stuff and neither of us are so keen on the cut of some of the new jackets but that's a personal thing (and nobody will ever call me stylish!).

I spent an hour and a half in the Páramo store in Wadhurst on Monday trying on various kit. I agree with the newer cut. It wouldn't be so bad if they had increased the range in size to include one bigger, say an XXL. But they I also noticed in the mens range, the size jump between sizes isn't equal. Which is a slight pain.

I now have a list of jackets/trousers to get, and the size that fits, so I can get them by mail order when I have money.

I'm a bit miffed to find that they have discontinued the Aspira smock and salopetts. Which is a shame because the selopetts fitted really well and would be great for sub zero stuff...

One thing I also learned, is that Páramo have reached capacity on their factory in Columbia, so some of their windproof stuff (Bentu, Zefire, etc...) are made in the far east, which efffects their buying/colours etc...

It's was an interesting afternoon.

J

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
If it's nowt too strenuous, get a Ridgeline. If you're walking hard in the hills then Paramo are great.
SWMBO really likes her Seeland jacket which looks smart for going out etc.

For giving dogs a splash and dash I wear a cheap Flexothane copy type farmers coat from

http://www.castleclothing.co.uk/

(No affiliation - just a satisfied customer).

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think all these high tech jackets are over-rated. My experience is that they're OK for a while and then they leak where they get most flexing - neck, shoulders and elbows.

They're great if you wear them under a poncho and don't exert yourself too much but it gets a bit warm if you're doing more than a few miles at anything like a good pace.

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
thanks for all the replies everyone :) some nice suggestions, but im looking for a coat that goes all the way down to the calfs. at the moment the barbour stockman is top of the list, but im just not convinced wax cotton is worth that much money!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... Barbour/driazabone stockman coats,although I'm not convinced wax cotton is the way to go with all the modern materials available today. I think of wax cotton as smelly, cold in the winter and sweaty in the summer......

Most of the good stockmans' coats or drovers' coats come with (or have as an available extra) removable wool or sheepskin liners, so It's hard to imagine them being "cold in the winter." But yeah, they're still sweaty in the Summer. www.downunderweb.com

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My wife has a waterproof stockman style coat that's not a wax one, have a look at riding coats. I have the Backhouse one, & they are good, the company is now owned by Barbour & made the Barbour one's, not sure if they still do.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE