Jack Pyke jackets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After my recent foray to Norfolk I find I am in need of a waterproof coat for shooting. I don't want to spend a fortune & therefore have been looking at the Jack Pyke range. I know a few members here will have used Jack Pyke kit & our own Mr Fenna has reviewed their clothing in the shooting press so my question is....
How waterproof is their Hunter jacket in the rain? :dunno:
I'd be grateful for your input before I part with my cash!
Thanks. :You_Rock_

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had a pair of their trousers and they didn't stay waterproof for very long. I used them in the canoe and they spent a lot of time being soaked in bilge water and after a couple of trips they started to wet out and leak quite a lot. I'm not sure if they were the current Hunters but they were made from Breathatex I think. A jacket might be a better choice though as it wouldn't be constantly wet and under pressure.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I have a Hunter Jacket, bought last winter... It is pretty waterproof and I never noticed any leaks even in quite heavy rain. I use mine for fishing. I like the colour and the smooth feel to the material. It is a nice garment to wear. I'm not sure the pocket at the back has ny real use... it zips out to sit on.. ok!! and can be used as a game pocket!! Ok you might get a rabbit in it...The cartridge flaps are annoying, but I guess I could cut them off.
However, I found the quality so so... the stiching around the lining was poorly finished and frayed after a few uses, as did the pockets, which had holes in quickly. Anything ie: wallet placed in the inside pocket ripped the cloth immediately after the first use...I sewed these up as I live in France and purchased it in the UK. I contacted Jack Pyke to express my disappointment at their quality control but never received a reply.
It does however suffer very badly from condensation. After any physical effort in cold weather the inside is soaked. Everytime I took it off in winter the nylon liner was soaked right through, just like any cheap nylon waterproof...I have an old shabby military Pertex jacket that never suffered as badly as this.. I therefore conclude that their material is aboslutely NOT breathable.
Voila I guess you get what you pay for at £56 sale price perhaps I was hoping for too much.
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE