Jack Pyke jackets, fairly cheap but are they any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I'm looking for a working coat for the woods that ideally only needs a tshirt underneath.
Generally when doing my rounds with my current setup of National Trust polo shirt and jumper and an old army coat on top (retreated for the rain) half way round with this mild winter I'm getting way too hot, but as the weather is not trust worthy I need a decent waterproof jacket that can be really used and abused.
Now during many country shows etc I always see Jack Pyke being sold which looks ideal for my needs but I'm concerned on how waterproof they are plus a few amazon type reviews claim the sleeves get so hot you end up with wet arms, which is one of my concerns as I get this with most coats if I have to wear a jumper.

So I thought I would ask here if anyone has experience with the Jack Pyke brand as I imagine everyone here has a similar active life as myself.
Failing that because of the likely wear and tear I'm looking at a fairly cheap price of £50-£80 any other suggestions? a friend suggested Seeland but that seems to be out of my price range.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I have the 3 in one
Fleece,overcoat and then the two combined.overall not a bad piece of kit for the price.the first one was replaced with a fault i cant remember.the second is warm and comfortable with the zip down sit mat or back pocket.i cant say about the weatherproof regarding the rain as didnt really go out shooting in torrential weather.on cold days static if wear thermals and a mid layer.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I also have the three-in-one jacket. I rarely use the fleece attachment as I find the cuffs annoyingly tight. The jacket is warm and has remained waterproof in torrential downpours. It is quite, but not the most breathable. The game pouch on the back opens into a waterproof sit-pad, which is an excellent feature. All in all I find it a great coat to wear when walking to a spot and sitting waiting for a deer, but not necessarily great for general bush-crafty stuff. It is worth the money, but if I was buying again I'd just buy the hunter jacket due to lack of use of the fleece.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Without the fleece inner how wearable is the jacket with just a tshirt underneath? On other jackets I tend to find they get sweaty around the elbow region.
Thanks for the info, the 3 in 1 is a bit more but sounds like it would be worth it.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That depends on the temperature. I have worn it with one layer underneath at times. The fleece is not worth the extra if I'm honest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE