Jack Hargreaves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's a bloody great tin opener !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pierce the centre of the tin / barrel with the pointy bit, position the grooves on the lip of the tin and punch down to use the triangular blade to cut into the top..........then just rotate !!!

what do ya think !!!!!!! ?????????

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wonder if it's something like a butchers tool, maybe for marking out meat or something?

I've forwarded the link to my father in law who's a retired butcher of fifty years, unfortunately he doesn't get on his PC much though.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

pierce the centre of the tin / barrel with the pointy bit, position the grooves on the lip of the tin and punch down to use the triangular blade to cut into the top..........then just rotate !!!

Ace, seen any eighteen inch diameter tins recently?;)

N

Nomad

I like it - most plasuible so far. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You would think the spike is for sticking in something soft, otherwise it would just be a straight pointy bar for hard stuff. The bend doesn't lend itself well to being forced much.

You would think it's mainly held by the handle for whatever job it does, then using a second hand to moved the slidey bit. Asthetically, holding by the handle doesn't lend itself well to much lateral movement, more likely that it's held into something and then the blade is drawn towards you.

No idea

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Think catering, like big tins of cooking oil, or very large Fray Bentos pies...

spot on !!

giant tins of beans ! :)

huge cans of peas :)

barrels of spam :)

aha ! because the blade bit slides, it can ( see what i did there ) be used on big or smaller cans / tins :)

Last edited:

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I would venture a guess as to it being a tool for cleaning material like carbon out of a vee way. The wee pointy end would get into the bottom of a vee way quite easily, whilst the sliding pieve would do the major cleaning, but way it slides raises questions. The handle appears to be be much younger than the tool itself.
Woody

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I was born into old fashioned butchery over 60 years ago and we used to have some weird stuff hanging around them, some of it was several hundred years old, but I've never come across any butchery tools that look anything like that!

Sorry!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was born into old fashioned butchery over 60 years ago and we used to have some weird stuff hanging around them, some of it was several hundred years old, but I've never come across any butchery tools that look anything like that!

Sorry!

Lol, it was late, I was tired

Just having a guess really :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've a smaller version of that type of can opener. It's a variation on the type patented by Lyman in 1870 in the US. At that time the cans had small holes in the centre of the lids to let the steam out while the cans were being boiled to sterilise them which they filled with a blob of solder to seal it so it wasn't hard to piece the lid with the rather wimpy point.

I'll get my coat

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE