I've sharpened some stupid things in my time...

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy some really big corn tortillas for crust. I can buy a stack of maybe 8" cheese & corn soft tortillas. DIY pizza with guests or family.

My crust, my sauce, layer of thin slices of fresh tomatos, green pepper & Mexican salami (you can count to 10 before it explodes) Jalapeno Jack and Mozza cheeses.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like your veggie option too BR :) but I like basil and the like on mine too.

Gluten free pizza's dire though :sigh:

Hey Toddy you tried these?
#1: -
2 cups almond flour.
2tbsp chia seeds, mixed with 6 tbsp water (no need to grind the seeds, just let sit in water for 5 mins before using).
2 tbsp olive oil.
1tsp salt.
Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.

Mix everything together 'till you have a dough. Roll out bases between two sheets of oiled baking parchment to the thickness you want.
Cook bases for 10-15 mins then add topping and finish.

#2. Zucchini crust pizza.

1 large egg.
About 3 small-medium zucchini crust(about 8 inches).
One and a half cups grated parmesan or mozzarella; though parmesan is by far the better for this recipe.
Salt.

Preheat oven to 450°F/323°C.
Grate the zucchini.
Sprinkle salt over the zucchini. Let it silt for a few minutes.
Squeeze the water out bases (easiest way is to wrap in a towel/cloth), or between two plates or squeeze in a colander.
Mix it with egg and grated cheese.
Spread baking parchment on a baking stone. Spread out dough batter about half an inch thick.
Place in preheated oven to cook for about 15-20 mins. Best to pre roast the topping to go on this one, so once its browned spread them on and finish in the oven.

Hope you enjoy as as you say a lot of the pre made glue free bases are horrible.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I use my big Chinese cleaver for cutting pizza.

It might seem like overkill but I just put the edge where I want it cut, rock the blade back and forth a couple of times and job done. It's easy to clean, goes through anything and doesn't move the topping about. It's also ideal for lifting slices.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use my big Chinese cleaver for cutting pizza.

It might seem like overkill but I just put the edge where I want it cut, rock the blade back and forth a couple of times and job done. It's easy to clean, goes through anything and doesn't move the topping about. It's also ideal for lifting slices.

I broke our cleaver :(

Really need another good heavy one, but lack the funds and the ones in kitchen shops are mostly toy sized

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hey Toddy you tried these?
#1: -
2 cups almond flour.
2tbsp chia seeds, mixed with 6 tbsp water (no need to grind the seeds, just let sit in water for 5 mins before using).
2 tbsp olive oil.
1tsp salt.
Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.

Mix everything together 'till you have a dough. Roll out bases between two sheets of oiled baking parchment to the thickness you want.
Cook bases for 10-15 mins then add topping and finish.

#2. Zucchini crust pizza.

1 large egg.
About 3 small-medium zucchini crust(about 8 inches).
One and a half cups grated parmesan or mozzarella; though parmesan is by far the better for this recipe.
Salt.

Preheat oven to 450°F/323°C.
Grate the zucchini.
Sprinkle salt over the zucchini. Let it silt for a few minutes.
Squeeze the water out bases (easiest way is to wrap in a towel/cloth), or between two plates or squeeze in a colander.
Mix it with egg and grated cheese.
Spread baking parchment on a baking stone. Spread out dough batter about half an inch thick.
Place in preheated oven to cook for about 15-20 mins. Best to pre roast the topping to go on this one, so once its browned spread them on and finish in the oven.

Hope you enjoy as as you say a lot of the pre made glue free bases are horrible.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

We've done the zucchini one. It's not really bread tasting but it is very good.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Colin, I'll give the almond/chia one a shot :)

I make tortillas Robson Valley, 'cos the only ones I can get easily here have wheat flour added to make them soft :sigh:

British Red ? I second NS40's Chinese supermarket cleaver things :) They're big and heavy but dirt cheap. Easy to sharpen up too…..thinking on it though, a Martindale or a Bolo tidied up ought to do the job just fine, and they're made in the UK.

http://www.springfields.co.uk/basic...ogle_shopping&gclid=CNeNtvecs8kCFSQTwwodm78Fl

under a tenner :)

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope, need a really heavy butchers cleaver for ....butchery! Machetes don't have the weight tbh. The Chinese ones sound good but don't have many Chinese supermarkets round here :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I could - but I like to feel the heft - some are quite flimsy. I'll keep hoping to find one in a boot sale!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sure he'll no' mind :) He likes having a good rummage, and it's a brilliant excuse to look around.

I think he needs to go into the refurbished good quality old tools business :)

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I make my pizzas with breadcrusts or french bread.

Not very pizza shaped but makes a nice treat tea.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Just found another option...

bear-grylls-parang-machete-by-gerber-3309-p.jpg

:lmao:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Bizarely i do have a really nice old school UK made cleaver that i refound behind the lathe when clearing up on Thursday. I'd not done it up as quite frankly I don't do any butchering and have some comedy sized kitchen knives already if I do ever need big stuff. (Im a sucker when offered unused quality kit for a song, whether I need them or not). I paid a quid or 50 p for it, mainly as it had interesting markings. I'm in Oxford unil tomorrow night but when I get home I'll do a pic with a ruler so you can see if its the right size. Happy to tart it up for you or send it as is, you know I like faffing!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE