I've sharpened some stupid things in my time...

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I buy my cleavers in really funky, run-down Asian grocery stores. I have 3, one is now some 40 years old, like 2 of my woks. I can't imagine buying cleavers in some modern western grocery store.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here it is

image.jpg1_zpsijyr8ngc.jpg

Whitehouse Brothers Ltd Cannock England No. 2

i think it is at least prewar, possibly pre the war before. I reckon the company was still going in the 1920s but how long after I can't say.

Easy enough to smooth the spine off with the power file and put a few grades of wet and dry on the sander to get the blade slippery smooth. Handle needs a bit of sanding then standing in linseed for 24 hrs. I won't be offended if it's not up to scratch or you'd rather restore tha self.

if it's right, Pm me tha address.

atb

tom

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I used to have one of those. Until I teamed up with the mother of my kids. She uses the big pair of kitchen scissors for pizza, and although I don't quite like it, I have to give her that it's the best tool for the job.

I will try this the next time we have pizza :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, it's done, I pulled it from the tung oil bath to take the pic so it will darken off some over night. Some of the stains ran too deep to remove but the rough and splintery bits are gone. Since its to be used where there's blood etc do you want me to give the wood a couple of coats of thinned yacht varnish to make it easier to clean?

image.jpg1_zpsj9hgokg0.jpg

At some point some tit used some sort of grinder on it, I tried to get the marks out but to do the full job I'd have had to remove a fair weight of metal which seamed to be detrimental to its actual use as as a tool. Instead I just spent a bit longer on the polishing wheel to smooth the metal.

I've not sharpened it although thinning down behind the edge to allow for previous sharpening has put a sort of edge on it.

i can set up the Tormek 7 ( need to do the kitchen Sab's anyway ) and put on any angle you want but I know most folk like to set a blade up to their own taste. ( I'm not looking for work! ).

Any pref for postage? I tend to use MyHermes unless folk don't like them. They can be very variable from what folks have said.

atb

tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks grand just as it is Tom - thank you! Hermes is just fine - and don't forget that paypal addy :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cool, I'll get it safely boxed tomorrow am and off toot sweet. I'll pm you herself PayPal thingy when I know how much the postage is, it should be the lowest MyHermes one, will weigh it once boxed.

atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE