I've sharpened some stupid things in my time...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
but this one takes the....pizza?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6049.jpg
    IMG_6049.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 392

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rolleyes:
Puns are Us tonight I see.

I have one caveat about a sharp version of those damned things (what's wrong with a big knife ? ) How the hang do you clean one when it's covered in tomato sauce and gluey cheese ? My rotary cutter for fabric is lethal, if you've sharpened up one of the pizza cutter things you've just made a huge version of lethal :)

This comes to mind….
http://www.foxcutlery.com/n/en/product/1432/2-ulu_-_outdoor_tool_desi.html

Nice job though sharpening a circular blade :D

M

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I used to have one of those. Until I teamed up with the mother of my kids. She uses the big pair of kitchen scissors for pizza, and although I don't quite like it, I have to give her that it's the best tool for the job.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Scissors?...........pizza?.............pizza?..........scissors?

You pair need bigger knives :D

I use a dirty great blunt nosed thing about 16" long, i think its meant to be used on a carvery

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've a gammon slicing knife. It's blade sounds about the same length as yours. Used to be used in the days before those sliding automatic slicing machines. It makes a dreadful screeching noise when I try using it to cut pizza on the pizza stone though.
Scissors work brilliantly :D

M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Um, just thinking how to put a motor on one of those. A small electric job with a rubber wheel pressed against the blade... May splatter a bit if the toppings are particularly goey....

There being a odd number of us cutting a pizza or cake into equable bits had always involved more thought than I can sumon when the blood sugar is low so I have a big chopping board with marker lines on it to centre the circular food and give 5 equal pieces. If I mounted a rotating central spindle with peg holes in it, with a sharp point of course, I could grind a hook into the tip of a suitable knife and use it like a old school guillotine or cloggers knife....

Hows that for overcomplicating the process? Quick, to the patent office!

atb

tom

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I've a gammon slicing knife. It's blade sounds about the same length as yours. Used to be used in the days before those sliding automatic slicing machines.

Yeah, i reckon thats what mine was now you mention it, i can just about remember them being used now and then when i was a boy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :D
Where did you find that ?

It's a gadget though…..imagine trying to find room in the kitchen drawers to store it :rolleyes:

atb,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The real trouble with using a knife is the drag; it can and often does drag the cheese off the pizza. Scissors work fine on thin crust, but not so much on real deep dish pizza.

Last edited:

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Brilliant :D
Where did you find that ?

It's a gadget though…..imagine trying to find room in the kitchen drawers to store it :rolleyes:

atb,
M
Its a eBay jobby but they proberly sell them at b&m and places like that

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do like the wheels on our home made pizzas (rarely eat delivery pizza johntarmac - we can make better for less money and have it on the plate quicker). The wheels work well and, as said above, don't drag off the cheese and toppings. But they need to be sharpish. That all stainless one lasted four years or so before it needed sharpening and I could have just bought a new one - but how wasteful is that?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Um, just thinking how to put a motor on one of those. A small electric job with a rubber wheel pressed against the blade... May splatter a bit if the toppings are particularly goey....

There being a odd number of us cutting a pizza or cake into equable bits had always involved more thought than I can sumon when the blood sugar is low so I have a big chopping board with marker lines on it to centre the circular food and give 5 equal pieces. If I mounted a rotating central spindle with peg holes in it, with a sharp point of course, I could grind a hook into the tip of a suitable knife and use it like a old school guillotine or cloggers knife....

Hows that for overcomplicating the process? Quick, to the patent office!

atb

tom

You just re-nvented the angle grinder! Surely a 100mm slitting disc is the solution?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE