I've finally got hold of one-My dartmoor knife! but i need some advice from the pros

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Well i've finally got hold of one but it needs to be finished :)

Need some advice on what handle/pommel/bolster etc you guys think will not only look good but make it a good user as well!

yby2a9ap_zpsea78b6d9.jpg~original

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Cheers! Was fancying getting something nicer done to it plus I need to get hold of the bolster somehow OR get one made:)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm sure one of the makers will pop along soon and have a look. The bolsters are like hens teeth. I bet an engineer could turn you out a nice bespoke one in stainless or brass though

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
come on guys! was looking for some inspiration! :)

On a side note are there any makers close to the newport/south wales area???

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Necromancers R us. I was looking at the Dartmoor knife, I bought one years ago and had it ground by a fella who ran a tattoo parlour down on Union street in Plymouth. I'm sure someone on here recommended him, he certainly cursed me when he ground it. Anyway, I was bored and looking at reviews when I came across this website:

http://www.customknivesandsticks.co.uk/wsdartmoorknife.html

I have no other point to make other than with the back serrations ground off doesn't it look like a Nessmuck blade.

jack5319

Sep 23, 2013
manchester
a mate of mine works at a heat treating place and he said ive got a few knife blanks that are left over from a job when he brought them to me he had 3 of these. he gave me 2 and kept 1 for himself i am still yet to do something with the blanks. i was only looking at them last night and then i see this today... must be a sign!!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Im a bit of a geek on the subject of the Dartmoor (I own 3, one, my pre order numbered blade) FGYT ground my current user.

I have some spares including a pommel nut that was made for me going spare.

Andyxedos however unfortunately I haven't forgotten that "William Rogers" knife you sold my daughter. I'm a pretty laid back guy but you did wrong by me and I don't feel overly compelled to help you now.

Something to Karma I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
The original Dartmoor knife plastic handle is huge and not comfortable to use, personally I would put micarta on the handle and shape it oval with maybe the index finger shaped, stainless cross guard/bolster and pommel.
You could use Allen handle bolts and make the scales removable , utilising the hollow slot as the knife was meant to be. With some thought, patience and skill you could have a good knife.
Oh yes and a sharp usable bevel would help!!!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Following this; only as an original Dartmoor knife owner and not knowing wether to keep it original or not and not for the previous posts ensuring comments!!😉

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Im a bit of a geek on the subject of the Dartmoor (I own 3, one, my pre order numbered blade) FGYT ground my current user.

I have some spares including a pommel nut that was made for me going spare.

Andyxedos however unfortunately I haven't forgotten that "William Rogers" knife you sold my daughter. I'm a pretty laid back guy but you did wrong by me and I don't feel overly compelled to help you now.

Something to Karma I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I see you're a user of the knife, how is it. I've got one but have never had a play with it. I've small hands and it's one big handled blade. Do you use it regularly? Any tips on keeping it sharp? As I said the guy who ground my blade said it was a pain to work with.

By the way Countryman I did try to PM you but your inbox is full.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hi, I see you're a user of the knife, how is it. I've got one but have never had a play with it. I've small hands and it's one big handled blade. Do you use it regularly? Any tips on keeping it sharp? As I said the guy who ground my blade said it was a pain to work with.

By the way Countryman I did try to PM you but your inbox is full.

Thanks Scoman!

I have carried a Dartmoor for about 16 years on every adventure, all over the world. I have used it in hard pressed circumstances twice. As a camp knife far more frequently. I think for its purpose it's one of the finest knives ever made.

It's a brute which for me is mitigated by my large hands. Even in my oversized mit it's an imposing knife. I have seen it function as a deterrent and when you have seen a mans eyes change because that rich foreigner isn't going to be easy prey it breeds a fond confidence in carrying it.

It was designed as a shelter building knife. Anything an expert can do in terms of building a lean to with a Bushcrafter a squaddie can do in a fraction of the time with a Dartmoor.

Once up it will process firewood really well but that's it. You aren't going to be whittling spoons with it. Even me and I like a big knife.

It has a secondary bevel so it might be harder to sharpen than a Scandi but it imparts a very strong edge. It holds an edge.

Then you have to think that this was the blade on the bench of the most famous blade crafting company in the world when their own government stabbed them in the back and shifted army production to a maker in Qatar. It's a piece of history, an heirloom and that's why I own three.

Here is my user.

5837af4492f64694090bc41c5a2380b3.jpg

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers chum, I made a scabbard for it years ago, a pretty basic affair, but it made it look like a bloody sword. I want to give it a go and have a play. Out of interest do you carry anything in the handle stowage?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cheers chum, I made a scabbard for it years ago, a pretty basic affair, but it made it look like a bloody sword. I want to give it a go and have a play. Out of interest do you carry anything in the handle stowage?

Yes, firelighting kit, puritabs, bits and bobs in the tube with the compass. Snare wire in the compartment built into the sheath. Obviously the lanyard is quite a lot of paracord.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Necromancers R us. I was looking at the Dartmoor knife, I bought one years ago and had it ground by a fella who ran a tattoo parlour down on Union street in Plymouth. I'm sure someone on here recommended him, he certainly cursed me when he ground it. Anyway, I was bored and looking at reviews when I came across this website:

I have no other point to make other than with the back serrations ground off doesn't it look like a Nessmuck blade.

Always wanted one, & there are some nicely done one's on that link site.

Rob

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

Was it Doc Price who did the grinding for you by any chance? I'm sure the location would fit for it to be him.

I've ground one for someone as well - I would have liked to have taken the serrations off but I wasn't allowed! :D

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Was it Doc Price who did the grinding for you by any chance? I'm sure the location would fit for it to be him.

I've ground one for someone as well - I would have liked to have taken the serrations off but I wasn't allowed! :D

That sounds about right but it was at least 8 years ago so I may be wrong. I bought mine from Sterling supplies, un finished blade but all the other kit to make a full knife. I glued the bolster to the blade with some metal glue, it's still there but it hasn't been outdoors. When I made the leather sheath I was unnecessarily in a hurry and left the blade in a still damp sheath. There are now some stains on the blade.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That sounds about right but it was at least 8 years ago so I may be wrong. I bought mine from Sterling supplies, un finished blade but all the other kit to make a full knife. I glued the bolster to the blade with some metal glue, it's still there but it hasn't been outdoors. When I made the leather sheath I was unnecessarily in a hurry and left the blade in a still damp sheath. There are now some stains on the blade.

He's quite a recognisable chap.

273179_1943363142468_1194175610_1694308_1310026_o.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the staining - when it does get used it means you're less likely to worry about getting it diiiiiiirrty. :D

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
I had one or two over he years and was thinking of stacking leather with a stainless bolster and pommel , i even had a punch made for the leather to fit over the handle .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE