I've finally got hold of one-My dartmoor knife! but i need some advice from the pros

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I'd love to see one done in stacked leather! I was thinking of making a second handle for my own Dartmoor knife in stacked jade G10 and black rubber but never got round to it. Not much point as the knife is a drawer queen. Just thought it would look nice.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'd love to see one done in stacked leather! I was thinking of making a second handle for my own Dartmoor knife in stacked jade G10 and black rubber but never got round to it. Not much point as the knife is a drawer queen. Just thought it would look nice.

This poses an interesting question as of all the knives I can think of, this one should be up to sustaining intense and prolonged battening but would a handle of stacked leather?? In fact the more I look at the handle securing arrangements I have ask if this is the weak link in design as the one thing I would be hesitant to do with a Randall Trapper or any non-full tang knife with other than through-fixed scales is to beat it with a log.

Just a thought and happy to be corrected.

K

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
My only experience of stacked leather is on a couple of US fighting knives I owned and used for everything back in the 80's. I found these shrank and became lose over time.

No such issue with the original.

I have a couple pieces of stabilised wood that Angst and Marmite gifted me. Have I now found a use for them?

Stirling still has ground blades for sale but nothing with a guard.

Mmmmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Interesting points. Stacked leather would be great at stopping vibration on an impact tool but isn't the best when it comes to long-term survival. It does also tend to dry out and split over time. Maybe it should be looked upon as a temporary/ semi-permanent handle material.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Forgive me, but how often do you use the serrations on the back? And what for??

I would love a dartmore, my dad took his all around Canada on expeditions and he swears by it!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I still think this beast is the best argument for carrying a hatchet and a c4" bladed knife!

K

Takes different strokes.

I have migrated to using a perang in preference to using a hatchet anyway. I suspect those small Scandi knives to one day be viewed with the same amusement as "The Mullet".

Ohh controversial!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Interesting points. Stacked leather would be great at stopping vibration on an impact tool but isn't the best when it comes to long-term survival. It does also tend to dry out and split over time. Maybe it should be looked upon as a temporary/ semi-permanent handle material.

I've yet to meet a person who uses a knife as much as I use my stacked leather grip Estwing hammer and I'm on my second one now*, the few plastic washers that Estwing erroneously think is a good idea failed which ended up causing the handle to rattle.
I keep meaning to repair that first hammer but I don't get the time.

The current one has been out in all weathers, been dropped in a trench full of water various times, fell off the scaffold a few times and all that's happened is the leather has gone a far darker colour**.
I keep seeing pictures of peoples stacked leather gripped knives and to me they've hardly been used or the leather goes very dark. They aren't getting used but there's nothing wrong with the grips as such. Just people being precious I guess.

* Please don't confuse me with a hobby woodworker, its a living, so that hammer gets USED.
** The first thing I did with it was remove the awful varnish they use. It cracks off anyway and I can't stand it.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Today with heavy rain coming through I mostly be trying to put a good edge on my 'made from parts Dartmoor'.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hmmmm attacked it with a 800 waterstone. Not a lot of joy, the guy that ground it was cursing me I remember when he did it for me. Just ordered a 250/1000 stone from Axminster hopefully that will put me on the right road slightly quicker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE