It's.........showtime!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

theknight

Hold on a minute.

You are telling me that it took 7 swings of an axe and 2 swings for billhook to cut through a 4 inch tree..............hell, what sort of hook is that! and where do you get them!! Or is it a case of strenght!

And what other gadgets were on display?

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I use both (midland) billhook and axe daily, a ot of traditional woodland management and hedgelaying. I would have to say, on the balance of things I much prefer an axe.

A billhook is preffered in hedgelaying where there are small gaps to get into, but other than that, with more or less every job i do, the axe is more efficient in my experience.

Not ever thought of a billhook in terms of using it for bushcraft, might take one along with me the next weekend i`m out and see how it matches up :)

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Tone are you sure it wasn’t 40 axe and 3 Billhook!!

There was a fair bit of kit on display Tone, Kellam Stuart and Roving Rich bought there Hennessy Hammocks and a Ray Mears Hammock with them so we had six hammocks amongst us and I won’t say to much about the Hennessy Hammocks as there will be a review going up about them but Wow they are something else, three of us swung in one of them with a combined weight of about 48 stone.........pictures to follow.

Of course FireSteels, BlastMatches and god knows what other forms of fire lighting were on display with 4 different forms of tinder, all good, and all fun to watch in action.

We had a look at loads of different knots and I now know how to tie a knot while I am hanging on cliff face!...........you never know, that might come in handy in the woodlands one day!

Tony had about 58 different rucksacks to have a look at we had about 20 Kelly Kettles, 104 knifes, 300 metres of Para cord, 12 compasses, 8 axes, 11 billhooks, 10 survival saws and about 400 cigarettes. Please bear in mind that must of the above list was just what Kellam Stuart brought with him!..............

It was a wonderful time and I was impressed with everyone’s achievements and they are all a great bunch with great stamina . Ed has the makings of a Hurdle Maker and Tony earned the name Twist Master. Roving Rich is now know as Splitter Rich and if any of you know Jamie and Kellam Stuart, you will know what they are called anyway!..........

There is a lot more kit to come but I can’t remember it all, perhaps they can tell you.

Best wishes.

Jack.

PS. Don’t forget what I showed with those two hands full of soil!!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Thanks Ed.............I think Stuart is a bit tired or something..........or, that handful of soil doesn't invole any gadgets!!

Cheers.

Jack.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I think you have given me a bit of a woodland bug Jack..... I've only gone and got myself signed up on a hedge laying weekend with the local agriculture college.....

;-)
Ed

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi folks, we had a great time at the weekend. I was a bit nervous of meeting up with a a bunch of strangers I'd only chatted to here, my girlfriend (Fiona) helped -"bit like Internet dating in it". Then on arrival Ann pointed out "bit like a murder mystery weekend this, five strangers arrive at an isolated county house...",I looked around at the array of Billhooks, axes and sharp knives :shock: Still we all had a good time and it was great to put some faces to names.
I could have done with a bit more sleep though, I think a gag for Stuart (Kellam) may help? Stuart should award for top kit! For the smallest, lightest niftiest gadgets. I wish I could pare my excess baggage down to his meagre 2 side pouches on a yoke!! We will have to harass him on the kit chatter strand, as his knowledge, kit and explanations are extensive.

It was wonderful to meet the Beckett household, and share there idyllic rural life with us. To be shown in from a dark and stormy Dorset night to a wingback armchair by the fire with a hot cup of tea, fresh milk straight from the goat, eggs from the chickens and freshly baked bread in the morning - Heaven, Thanks guys. Excellent to get away from traffic noise, planes going over and streetlamps, though a few More road signs may have helped?

Hurdle making is hard graft. Respect to Jack for choosing it as his living.
"Twistmaster" Tony soon got to grips with turning Hazel rods into rope/withies at the ends of each weave, while the rest of us struggled and snapped em. I was one of the few that escaped without blisters!

I reckon the Billhook scored a decided win. Axes are good for little (maybe chopping down big stuff) that a the hook is not better at. When it came to felling a small tree, Axe 7 swings, if you include Tony's misses, billhook 4 though this was largely down to Jacks superior technique and experience :lol: - cut with the grain, so cut in at a 45 degree angle. The same technique is applied to "cleaving" (splitting down the middle) the Hazel. Cut in at 45, open up, then using the "bill" of the hook cleave apart, no strength required as you have plenty of leverage and control with the hook. The difficult bit (for us not the Master) was keeping it central, this is achieved by bending the rod as it splits involving strange contortions and braces from us lot. Jack does this with his eyes closed (poser) or while chatting to us nonchalantly.

Blyme -bit of an essay and I don't seem to have covered a fraction of what occurred.
To conclude We all enjoyed ourselves and learnt stuff. If this small meeting was anything to go by than a larger get together will be a great success.
I look forward to it, maybe see you at the Knapp-in ?
Cheers
Rich :-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
And doin those twists with one hand behind his back....Poser.
Them hooks - I just read Chris's review of the Woodlore course. He mentions about having used his knife for 18 months and being comfortable and familiar with it, inspite of it being a bit too large according to the woodlore team. Now i reckon Jack may have used his hook once or twice before, so has a slight advantage when it comes to weilding it over the rest of us. Lot to be said for that, thanks Chris
Rich

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Thank you all for the kind words and don't underestimate your own capabilities you all achieved something quite special at the weekend. As you know, historically, hurdle making was viewed as the supreme woodland skill as it take a time to be able to ‘read’ the wood and you all gain a good understanding of that. Your are all welcome at our home at any time but please bring some gaffer tape with you!

Roving-good point about being able to wield a Billhook but you have to understand and be comfortable with them to be able to master your trade the same as an axe. Don’t forget Billhooks have been around since the Bronze age so we should all be pretty used to them. Historically, all yokels, peasants and the surfs all owned and used Billhooks daily. Have you ever heard of the saying ‘ by hook or by crook’ this stems from the days when the ‘ commoner’ could only gather the firewood that was within reach of a Billhook or a crook. Never heard of the saying ‘by axe or by crook’ anyway the point being the Bill has been a part of our psyche for thousands of years....................Billhooks will take over the bushcraft world......grrr!

Good on you Ed! I did say that the bug will get you in the end........don’t forget, Instinctively, there is a Woodlander in all of us.

Best wishes.

Jack Billhook......sorry Beckett.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Rich, live my cockerals out of it!

Ed, not funny!

Rich, do you want to answer the question in Woodland Chatter about which trees you shouldn't sleep under?

Best wishes.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE