It's.........showtime!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Well, this weekend I have some of you chaps coming down to Dorset to spend the weekend on a hurdle making course. They will be bring all their kit and will be stringing up their hammocks and building shelters ( Is this normal behaviour just?). I think I will hearing ‘ mines bigger than yours’ a lot this weekend.

Anyway, the point is, I know how to swing a Billhook pretty well. You know how to swing an axe. So, this weekend we will be having a Axe verse’s a Billhook competition to see which is the ultimate tool for bushcraft. So my Billhook will be having a show down with a Wetterlings and a Gransfors axe.

Personally, I think my Billhook’s will make it look like the Wetterlings and Gransfors are still in bed!! Lets face it, a Billhook is more versatile than an axe anyday.......isn't it?

Watch this space and place your bets.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I'm with Jack.
Come on you Billhook!!!!

Not ever used one mind you, but they seem to be more kind of shapely and look fit for purpose, and are sort of reminiscent of England in days gone by.......

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The first test will be hammering sticks into the ground, the second will be splitting logs, the third will be felling a tree, the forth will be... :rolmao: :ekt:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hmmm I best get busy sharpening me thinks.
5th in the test cutting hazel at the stool in a single swipe, 6th cleaving down the middle then its onto hedge laying....
:eek:T: :uu:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Jack I managed to bust that billhook stuart showed you at the wilderness gathering - never busted my trusty old axe.

But each is a tool in its own right - but interesting to hear how you get on - after hurdle making will you carve spoons, feather sticks, butcher a beast or chop fire wood too?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Rich, I will show how to coppice and put your hook away as you will be using our hooks.

Stew. We can use either.

Tone. They can do all of that with one hand behind their back, and more!

Up the Billhooks!!...............Bye bye axe!

Jack.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Thanks Grumit!.........it isn't looking good for the axes.

Gary, I thought that hook of Stuarts wouldn't last long. When I used it at the Gathering it was very sharp but its weak point was on the join at the handle, it was welded.

Yes, we will carve spoons, feather sticks, butcher a beast or chop fire wood too and will show you how to make good pair nut crackers out of hazel and they also make a wonderful spade!

Cheers.

Jack.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
:-D You crack your own nuts Jack!

Sounds a good weekend shame I cant make it.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Well, that was one hell of a weekend I have just had! Five grown men who enjoy bushcraft in the woodland for a weekend.

I have never seen so much kit in all of my life and I never knew so much kit could exist. I don’t know where they all get their stamina from.

Some driving six hours to get to me on Friday night and then staying up until 5 in the morning talking bushcraft and then spending Saturday in the wood with me Hurdle Making.................and comparing tinder and fire steels and then staying up until 3am Sunday morning......................talking kit! Then back into the woods on Sunday morning Hurdle Making and comparing........................Hennessy Hammocks...........don’t ask! Back from the woods when it’s dark on Sunday night comparing.........................hurdles!!

Now, I can’t really answer the question that I asked at the beginning of this thread without sounding biased but the axes didn’t stand a chance really, it took an axe 7 swings and the hook only 2 to fell a 4 inch tree....... the hooks made the axes look like they were still made from flint!

I think the Billhook won over some fans over the weekend.................what do you say Ed?

Best wishes.

Jack.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Those billhooks of yours jack are very powerful tools. Learning how to use one over the weekend realy opened my eyes to a few things and I'm starting to regret noy getting one off you while I was there.... then again it may be better to leave it a few weeks and let my blisters heal :)

All of us were impressed I think, but yes I'm a fan.... I'll use a hook over an axe anyday..... and it will be interesting to see how stuarts hook design comes out.

Being a skinny bloke with not much upper body strength I was amazed how easily I could cut through the hazel with just a flick of the wrist when I eventualy got the hang of the technique..... thats the thing about hooks, its all about technique....

O dear... I'm starting to sound like Jack raving about bill'ooks ;-)
your a good teacher jack... I'll remember alot.

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE