It's only a buzzard and pheasants are expensive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Mod hat on.
Lots of trolling going on here it seems.
Lets keep things fact based please rather than opinions that may, or may not, have any basis in fact

thanks

Mark

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If they let them be, Mother Nature will self regulate the population. As long as there is food in exess, they will increase, until the amount of food is in balance.

I do not know many fat land owners, the ones I know are lean. Hard work tends to do that!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Seen a flock of starlings recently, are they under threat or not? Nil argument. Hysteria is the next accusation of choice, wait for "Class War" and the "Politics of Envy" accusations. Smokescreen to hide the fact that the decision was wrong and pointless. A licence to do something normally unlawful is a suspension of the law in that instance, what else is it?

As with foxes a major killer of pheasants is traffic.

Starlings are in decline due to drier summers according to the RSPB. Clearly they need to move to Merthyr Mawr!

Human beings undoubtedly have an impact on this. However they are in decline as a byproduct of overpopulation not through being hunted.

Anecdotally we see flocks of hundreds now where we used to see flocks of thousands. Clearly there is a problem.

Once again I will leave you to your politics.

Incidentally traffic is a major killer of buzzards as they are scavengers and frequently get hit while tucking in to road kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
And perhaps not on this forum where it is specifically against the rules.

This country (uk) has a unique countryside which I value greatly. Much of why this beautiful place looks as it does is down to shooting/ hunting in one shape or form.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I live in a place that have the US political scene forced on us through every media sourse.
I have not watched tv, or listened to a radio station now for weeks. I am sooooo fed up with that stuff.
Much nicer to read and participate here.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
OK but how is claiming that shooting and landowners have done wonders for the countryside not political? Especially if counter arguments are not permitted?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
No I'm not claiming that and you clearly have a problem reading. I'm telling you that the British countryside has been shaped by hunting and shooting.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No I'm not claiming that and you clearly have a problem reading. I'm telling you that the British countryside has been shaped by hunting and shooting.

You are wasting your breath mate, some of us understand these things......some don't (won't)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If we take the political element out of the argument, what are peoples thoughts on someone being legally allowed to control buzzards if they take their poultry for example? There are areas where there's a huge number of buzzards and they do take poultry. Should people give up and just buy battery farmed chicken or, at some point, would it be acceptable to control something that's a pest?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The two neighbouring farms to me both stopped the shoots on their land about four winters ago, they had just become more trouble than they were worth with the maintenance required to make them pay…..I would guess about 1600 acres between them, a dozen small 1 to 2 acre copses have gone as a result, why leave clumps of trees just for Deer to hide in during the day and for pigeons to breed in and use for roosting at night, plough them up and Sow more Wheat and Rape….No live Stock now so the Dew Ponds and Flight ponds are not needed………definitely no point in 20 half acre areas of Kale, Beans, Sprouts etc. for winter cover all that was doing now was feeding the Rabbits, Deer and Pigeons. Hedges, Stiles, footbridges, footpaths …none were officially public paths but most were used by the public for walking and dogs etc. no longer needed so gone. Now the Gates are up with the padlocks on and private signs, you effectively cannot cross the land without walking through crops so you are requested not to walk there at all…..so what did the shooters ever do for us?
When the new arial views come out on Google Earth it’s certainly going to look different to what it did when the present pics were taken in my area at least.

D.B.

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
The British countryside may very well have been shaped by hunting and shooting.
But it doesn't therefore necessarily follow that ALL hunting and shooting must be right.
That would be as facile as stating ALL hunting and shooting is wrong.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
The two neighbouring farms to me both stopped the shoots on their land about four winters ago, they had just become more trouble than they were worth with the maintenance required to make them pay…..I would guess about 1600 acres between them, a dozen small 1 to 2 acre copses have gone as a result, why leave clumps of trees just for Deer to hide in during the day and for pigeons to breed in and use for roosting at night, plough them up and Sow more Wheat and Rape….No live Stock now so the Dew Ponds and Flight ponds are not needed………definitely no point in 20 half acre areas of Kale, Beans, Sprouts etc. for winter cover all that was doing now was feeding the Rabbits, Deer and Pigeons. Hedges, Stiles, footbridges, footpaths …none were officially public paths but most were used by the public for walking and dogs etc. no longer needed so gone. Now the Gates are up with the padlocks on and private signs, you effectively cannot cross the land without walking through crops so you are requested not to walk there at all…..so what did the shooters ever do for us?
When the new arial views come out on Google Earth it’s certainly going to look different to what it did when the present pics were taken in my area at least.

D.B.

Well said.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
So the Downs in Wiltshire, for example, exist because of Hunting and shooting. Thought it was chalk deposits and sheep farming what dun it. The names of the hunt or shoot that created Cape Cornwall escape me. Enclosures did more to create the hedged landscape of much of England.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall

D.B.

The fact that farm subsidies depend in part on conservation doesn't tend to make one believe the whole of your horror story. Stiles installed on non-public footpaths, yes of course, what beneficent farmers they were.

Dew ponds and flight ponds, long established not listed either, yeah.

I would like to see a dew pond near a flight pond, one on upland dry Downs or similar and the other down near open water is more realistic.

Oh yes, the control on how many mature trees you can fell even on your own land could be a factor for the copses as well.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Once upon a time, Europe was covered with vast forests and steppes and Man hunted in both. Once Man ( and Woman too, to be PC :) ) started farming, those vast forests and steppes started disappearing fast. The small remains of forests we see today were kept because the soil there was poor, or the land not flat enough, or the land owners wanted to keep forested areas for deer and other game.
The landscape we see today was created both because of farming, AND hunting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE