It's British Sausage Week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My son makes his own sausages from locally sourced pork and sells them from the travelling catering business he runs at outdoor events. They are delicious as is the rest of the locally sources food he serves to accompany them. If you atten events in Sussex, such as Woodfair, you may have sampled them. I'd love to put in a plug for him, but it would contravene Forum rules.

Thanks to this thread I was able to tell him about British Sausage Week when he came to visit this weekend. "****!" he said, " That's another year I forgot to do anything about it."

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just one source up here, I can see the ranch tree line from my kitchen window. The bison taken are 2 yr olds and clean. I've watched them from my goose-hunting blind in the next field. They eat grass & bushes, drink water and talk to eachother all day long. Bought at least 1 side every fall since 2001.
Very lean (2g fat/100g cooked meat) and I don't like the taste of bison fat. Some butchers here will add pork or beef fat at your choice in sausages. Far too dry otherwise. More importantly, get a taste of the butcher's seasonings in their sausages. That's what determines buy/no buy for me.

You have a good deal there. Congratulations.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But you cant make sausages with that!

You will be making halal lamb sausages next.

Generaly I buy butchers sausages (a good cheap luxury) but Black Farmer (or his daughter) is a good brand.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Me? No, I'll use the ground lamb for dolmades and kefthedes. When I got a bison side cut a week ago, the butcher asked me if I wanted any sausages.
I said no but didn't have the presence of mind to ask for 1 or 2 to try. Lots of places to go this afternoon, I'll drop by and see what he has.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
oldtimer ? Unless you are personally profiting from his sales, I don't think a mention of his business would be amiss :)

Good food's worth sussing out, and good food that comes with personal information from a long term member is a good thing.

You do realise that if you do, and folks do see him, they'll all tell him they know his Dad ? :D
It's a small world sometimes.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But you cant make sausages with that!

You will be making halal lamb sausages next.

Generaly I buy butchers sausages (a good cheap luxury) but Black Farmer (or his daughter) is a good brand.

From what? The buffalo? Why not? I've had elk sausage, deer sausage, gator sausage, crawfish sausage, etc.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Here's one of my favorite snag recipes.

Gently fry pork sausages until brown/black all over.
Serve with Tiptree Brown Sauce.

mole trapper

Feb 2, 2007
cornwall
No no no, sausages must be served with mash made from spuds, Swede, parsnip and carrot with lots of butter and black pepper, heavily laden with thick onion gravy and served with peas, washed down with real cider, all this must be consumed in Dorset, Somerset or Herefordshire, anything else just isn't cricket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE