It's British Sausage Week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... mufffin's a cake
smileys-fish-805431.gif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I prefer to use a fork or a spoon to eat my beans and rice with but then you Floridians do have some strange customs I hear ;)

Mesquite!
I thought you'd use your foot long brass backed Bowie (pronounced with a drawl Booie) to eat your food. ;)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You know nothing Goatboy... Bowie's are for slicing and dicing the sausages first... :p

Your right. I remember the first time I ate at a table with Americans. I thought, "Boy if this was my folks table you'd be sent to bed with no supper for using your cutlery that way." :eek:
The ones that used knives held them like pencils. Though mainly they used their forks to cut and shovel.
Still it's all part of the broad tapestry of life. Asian friends think I hold my chopsticks in an odd way (due to the thumb I reset myself) though they do admit that it's an efficient way to use them.
Bit like when you see some tribesmen hold and use modern tools. Cutluraly they hold them differently as they were using stone tools that require a different method not so long ago.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I went into my local farm shop yesterday. On being told it was National Sausage week, the girl behind the counter said "In that case I recommend the game sausages. Wild boar, pheasant and venison"

Sold! :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nah, might well be cornbread ... but following with the British theme of it being British Sausage Week ... mufffin's a cake :p (unless it's on T.V. And then it _might_ be a mule ;) )

Yeah, true. But in this case "muffin" is just the shape. Traditionally cornbread is baked in an ordinary round cast iron frying pan (skillet) and served by cutting the resulting "pone" into wedges (ironically like pie?) It's often cooked in muffin pans to produce individual servings such as pictured for more formal tables, or in "cornstick" pans for the same reason. More recently (within the last 50 years) special round cast iron pans with the wedge "slices" molded in have also been used (these are my favorites)

"Wedge" pans

3221386eb558d450674254e81c06dc63.jpg

"Cornstick" pans

c43b7c9bad5ad6868350367f9763aaa3.jpg

I prefer to use a fork or a spoon to eat my beans and rice with but then you Floridians do have some strange customs I hear ;)

LOL. Floridians don't know good red beans and rice. You need to go to Louisiana (or no further than a few counties either side of it) for that.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like cornbread, lovely stuff. Though my mates is much better than mine, he just has a knack for it.
I've been trying to get him one of those cornstick pans for a couple of years, but impossible to get overhere. Ordering from the States they put silly money on the postage, often doubling the cost. Though I suppose cast is heavy to post.
You have a fave cornbread recipe to share?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... but following with the British theme of it being British Sausage Week .......

Which begs the question, Does "Brityish sausage week" mean it's a week for the British to celebrate all sausages? Or does it mean it's week for us all celebrate British sausage?

Geuine question, not a dig.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Celebrating British Sausages....proper sausages....cooked, whole. With onions.

...and gravy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like cornbread, lovely stuff. Though my mates is much better than mine, he just has a knack for it.
I've been trying to get him one of those cornstick pans for a couple of years, but impossible to get overhere. Ordering from the States they put silly money on the postage, often doubling the cost. Though I suppose cast is heavy to post.
You have a fave cornbread recipe to share?

I more or less follow the basic recipes as found on the bags of cornmeal (just adjust the liquid to dry ratio until I get the right consistency) Here's a simple one for regular cornbread:

1 cup milk[SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] cup butter or [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] cup margarine, melted
1 large egg
1 [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] cups yellow cornmeal or 1 [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] cups white cornmeal or 1 [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] cups blue cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour (My daughter is a Celiac so I use gluten free flour with a touch of xanthum gum instead)
1 tablespoon baking powder
[SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]2[/SUB] teaspoon salt (I omit this)

1. Heat oven to 400³F.
  2. Grease bottom and side or round pan, 9x1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 inches, with shortening.
  3. Beat milk, butter and egg in large bowl with hand beater or wire whisk.
  4. Stir in remaining ingredients all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
  5. Pour into pan.
  6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  7. Serve warm if desired.

For buttermilk cornbread you need to add baking soda as well to counteract the acidity. Also buttermilk cornbread will be crisper than regular (as will a thinner batter)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think it was started by the British Pork Board to promote British pork sausages. So saying I'm happy to celebrate snorkers from all over be they be German or South African Wurst, kabanos, saussiche, chorizo, hot dogs whatever. (well maybe not Cumberland ones, they often just taste ... wrong) :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's week for us all celebrate British sausage. :)

LOL. Thanks. Naught wrong with that.

Think it was started by the British Pork Board to promote British pork sausages. So saying I'm happy to celebrate snorkers from all over be they be German or South African Wurst, kabanos, saussiche, chorizo, hot dogs whatever. (well maybe not Cumberland ones, they often just taste ... wrong) :D

Not rried the Cumberland sausages so I can't comment on them. regarding the others I wholeheartedly agree.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"Proper" sausages are German or Polish.

Yet the word sausage comes from the nortern French saussiche which in turn comes from the latin salsicia which in turn is from the root salsus 'salted'.
Earliest written source for sausages is found in ancient Greek texts though goodness knows who started it all. The Germans have just fetishised them to the point that they had to change the design of their flush toilets because of it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another question (a genuine one) Are there any spicy British sausages? Ones available to, and popular with, the general public, not custom home made ones?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE