It's British Sausage Week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I suppose that some of the pork and mustard sausages can be pretty hot. Also some ones loaded with black pepper. Brits tended to go with hot condiments rather than spice the meat out of existance. Hot English mustard, horseraddish sauce and the likes. So saying there aren't a huge amount of naturally hot things growing here. Watercress, horseraddish, mustard, herb robert and a few others.
Do you count haggis as a sausage? Some of the best are pretty peppery.
So saying after we started sending ships 'round the world we took to spices pretty heavily.
Cheers for the cornbread recipe BTW, similar to mine but will try yours to see how it compares and let you know.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I freely admit you make a much better mustard than we do (at least the plain ones) I suppose with main meals condiments make sense (I'll often eat dinner or supper sausages with mustard or with catsup and Tabasco) If I can get my hands on British bangers or something like, I'm like BR and like gravy with them. It's the breakfast sausages most likely to be eaten as is.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Cheers for the cornbread recipe BTW, similar to mine but will try yours to see how it compares and let you know.

You're quite welcome. Mind you it's not my recipe per se apart from the customization I mentioned to make it gluten free. I also forgot to convert the US measurement to metric (remember US cups are smaller than imperial ones so don't use that conversion)

My Mom, Grandmothers, and Aunts never measured. They all used the TLAR method (That Looks About Right)

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
It's a while since Ilived in the UK, but I recall "British" sausages to be so full of filler (rusk) that they were more tubular fried bread than a fried meat product. I recall a "Yes Minister" episode in which hte british sausage was to be banned by a new EEC directive because they did not contain enough meat. here is asausage description from a Guardian article commenting on the introduction of the 2003foodregulations
"Here is a recipe for a school sausage, given to us by a manufacturer who prefers to remain anonymous. It is for what he described as a "pork product" made "down to a price" to win a local authority contract. The sausage contents: 50% "meat", of which 30% is pork fat with a bit of jowl, and 20% mechanically recovered chicken meat, 17% water, 30% rusk and soya, soya concentrate, hyrolysed protein, modified flour, dried onion, sugar, dextrose, phosphates, preservative E221 sodium sulphite, flavour enhancer, spices, garlic flavouring, antioxidant E300 (ascorbic acid), colouring E128 (red 2G). Casings: made from collagen from cow hide."
That's what Brits feed to your children for school lunch.

Hereis the Wikopedia section on British sausages.
here are various laws concerning the meat content of sausages in the UK. The minimum meat content to be labelled Pork Sausages is 42% (30% for other types of meat sausages), although to be classed as meat, the Pork can contain 30% fat and 25% connective tissue. Often the cheapest supermarket pork sausages do not have the necessary meat content to be described as "pork sausages" and are simply labelled "sausages"; with even less meat content they are described as "bangers" (an unregulated name).[16] These typically contain MRM which was previously included in meat content, but under later EU law cannot be so described

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
(well maybe not Cumberland ones, they often just taste ... wrong)

Object lesson: Never trust the jockanese when it comes to sausages, you buy theirs buy the 'block' - the name lists the ingredients Lard Offal Rusk Nastiness Effluent. :D

Cumberland sausages, cooked whole in wine (or stock - either works), served with puy lentils and boiled rice. If done correctly - makes a happy meal:

2014-06-10_zpszhaz6x96.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Adze being an East coaster I was blown away when I moved to Glasgow at the whole lorne thing. Having to specify "links" when ordering sausages was further compounded by them calling it a sausage roll instead of a roll and sausage. A sausage roll is sausage meat baked in a pastry tube. The local butcher in Glasgow did do a nice high quality lorne that had lots of spring onions through it. Still cant beat a good link.
The Cumberland thing is odd with me. I like herbs but the mix I've had in a few Cumberlands just makes them taste foostie. Pity as they look and smell great.
That looks a nice plate of food, I'd give it a go with virtually no arm twisting. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll have you know that decent, butcher made, Lorne sausage is shoulder steak minced up…..and our local retired butcher who does a bit of shooting makes his with venison and the fat from popeseye steak.
Nae rubbish in that lot.

Recipe…

2lbs pork (shoulder, belly, something with the fat through it)
2lbs beef (shoulder) don't remove the fat.
Both of these are minced, not ground to paste, just minced twice through the mincer.

Half a plain loaf dried out and crumbed.
Add to the crumb mixture…
Two teaspoonsful of ground black pepper
Two teaspoonsful of fine salt
Two teaspoonsful of ground coriander
Two teaspoonsful of ground nutmeg
Half a teaspoonful of allspice.

Mix the seasoned crumbs through the minced meat, then add ten tablespoonfuls of water to make a
mix that will hold together.
Press into a loaf tin and shape tidily. (The standard Lorne sausage tin is a 5lb one, you might need two ordinary loaf tins)
Leave the tin somewhere really cold.
The breadcrumbs swell and bind the mixture together.
Turn upside down and thump the bottom of the tin, and the Lorne sausage will drop out. Slice into half inch thick slices (seven to the pound weight) and fry in a pan that's either non stick (you won't need any more fat, but the sausages won't be swimming in it either) or well seasoned cast iron (same thing) or if its neither of these just give the pan the merest wipe with oil. Fry on both sides, and like bacon, some folks like them crisp, while others like theirs soft.

Food's only rubbish when folks don't care. Traditional food is very good and generally has very little waste.

Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I never knew there was a bread filler in your sausages. I'm glad I found out before serving any to my daughter. She also liked them when we were there but she was a child then and hadn't yet developed her Celiac.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Santaman, the bread is in the form of rusk. A lot of sausages use gluten free rusk now. Black Farmer sausages are about the best of the commercialy available gluten free ones readily gotten.
You don't have to put rusk into sausages but it does help bind them together. Also used to bulk them out. Good rusk also can give flavour and texture. You can also use cooked rice or things like oatmeal or pearl barley.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Well another piece of news I didn't know about. Popped in the coop this morning for some milk and no mention of British Sausage week.! Loads of Xmas stuff though which frankly left me feeling sick. Thanks BCUK for keeping me updated on important news.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, the bread is in the form of rusk. A lot of sausages use gluten free rusk now. Black Farmer sausages are about the best of the commercialy available gluten free ones readily gotten.
You don't have to put rusk into sausages but it does help bind them together. Also used to bulk them out. Good rusk also can give flavour and texture. You can also use cooked rice or things like oatmeal or pearl barley.

If you don't use rusk then you end up with meat loaf, and that needs baking, or steaming, not frying. It can be fried once it's baked into a solid piece though, iimmc.

http://www.macbeths.com/shop/charcuterie/sausages/lorne-sausage/

The Ayrshire version has lamb mixed through theirs. Minds some folks a bit of Jock pies :)
https://www.campbellsmeat.com/produ...5_S22poOlwzKw2qgKL8iH0qcoCqnNhXQ4ZRoCHPXw_wcB

Thanks for the info. I doubt we'll ever make our own (at least not British ones) so we'll be stuck with what we an buy and the selection of those is somewhat limited here. Regarding oatmeal, we switched to that as the filler for meatloaf ages ago.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We've got a butcher who does elk&blueberry, venison&apple! Every week in our grocery store is a couple of different things.
Nice. But, there are some old traditional tastes that I need to feed my taste. Mind you, after 15 years of bison,
the joke is that beef tastes really pharmaceutical. Yup = drugged to the eyeballs.

Rather than try to make my own sausages, doing stuffed things like green peppers and elephant pasta shells
isn't much of a mess or bother.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What I like about our small local butchers rather than the "Pharmed" meat from the supermarket is that it's all small scale meat production from nearby. Plus it's all hung well. From American friends meat tends not to be hung as long.
But yeah sausage meat balls, stuffed peppers/mushrooms or falscher hase is a good way to use up sausage meat with little fuss.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We've got a butcher who does elk&blueberry, venison&apple! Every week in our grocery store is a couple of different things.
Nice. But, there are some old traditional tastes that I need to feed my taste. Mind you, after 15 years of bison,
the joke is that beef tastes really pharmaceutical. Yup = drugged to the eyeballs.....

A lot of truth to that. Be careful where you source the buffalo though. If you're hunting it yourself or getting it from a friend who is, it'll be good to go. However if it's farmed it might well be drugged too. In fact if it's farmed it might not even be pure buffalo as hybrid "beefalos" are legally required to be labeled as buffalo/bison (here at least)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just one source up here, I can see the ranch tree line from my kitchen window. The bison taken are 2 yr olds and clean. I've watched them from my goose-hunting blind in the next field. They eat grass & bushes, drink water and talk to eachother all day long. Bought at least 1 side every fall since 2001.
Very lean (2g fat/100g cooked meat) and I don't like the taste of bison fat. Some butchers here will add pork or beef fat at your choice in sausages. Far too dry otherwise. More importantly, get a taste of the butcher's seasonings in their sausages. That's what determines buy/no buy for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE