It's British Sausage Week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How come it's the resident Veggie who's posting this though ?

https://www.lovepork.co.uk/campaigns/british-sausage-week-2015/

British Bangers at their best. Himself likes his baked in the oven, my 97 year old next door neighbour fries his (and he's eaten them every day in life that he possible could says his daughter), my 93 year old Uncle grills his.
Bodger's (on OvertheGate) Millie has just had 11 Gloucester Old Spot piglets…so he's preparing for sausage making next year.

Time for recipes and photos I think :)

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
In honour of you being our resident veggie I'll put up my Glamorgan Sausage one again. Best eaten with a plate of mac&cheese.

50g butter
100g leeks, finely sliced
Nutmeg to taste
170g fresh breadcrumbs, mix of white & brown if you can
2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 eggs, separated
1&half tsp mustard. Some say English but I prefer wholegrain.
175g Caerphilly
2 tbsp milk
50 g flour.
Melt half the butter in and pan, pop in leeks and sweat over medium heat 'till softened. Season with nutmeg & salt/pepper.
Mix 100 g breadcrumbs with thyme. Beat mustard & egg yolks together. Crumble the cheese into the breadcrumb mix & stir in the leeks, followed by the egg & mustard mix. Check seasoning & add the milk.
With damp hands shape the mix into six sausages and pop somewhere cool for a while.
Heat oven to 180°c/350°f/GM4. Meanwhile whisk egg whites 'till frothy. Place egg whites, flour & remaining breadcrumbs onto separate plates & roll each sausage in the flour , then whites, then breadcrumbs to coat.
Melt remaining butter in a pan over a med-high heat. When hot add sausages & cook 'till just golden on each side. Transfer to a baking tray & cook for about 20 mins until richly golden. Serve & scoff.

Funny I was just teasing Biker of this parish (a well known sausage lover) about snorkers over the weekend. He gets quite worked up.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Toad in the hole!

Make batter. Flour, some eggs, some oil, beat it up. I like to add herbs like rosemary to the batter.

Get your oven hot, up on max. throw sausages in a roasting tin, when they are starting to brown, add enough oil that the roasting pan is thickly coated. Get that hot in the oven - now pour in the batter and cook until brown and crisp.

Oh, and I like Black Farmer Sausages. Gluten free and 100% British pork.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sounds delicious GB, this is my favourite recipe.

Homemade Pork, Apple & Caramelised Onion Sausages

500 g free-range pork mince pork
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 small Granny Smith apples, grated
handful parsley and oregano
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp seeded mustard
1 tsp salt

1.5 meters of natural castings

1. Add a large bowl and all sausage making equipment into the fridge to let them all chill. It’s best to keep all meat and appliances cold so the fat in the sausages doesn’t melt. Clean hands are also essential so wash them regularly. Rinse sausage casings and let soak in fresh water whilst preparing the meat.

2. Add to a hot, well oiled pan the finely diced red onion and cook on low heat until golden and translucent, roughly 15 minutes. Then add sugar, a pinch of salt and balsamic vinegar. Let cook until the onions become sticky and thick. Set aside and let cool.

3. Once the onions are cool in the chilled bowl add all ingredients apart from the casings. Lightly mix everything through but try not to overmix. Drain the casings and pat dry with paper towel.

4. Attach the KitchenAid meat grinder and add the meat mixture into the feed and turn the mixer on. Placing it through the grinder will ensure everything is mixed properly and chopped finely. Once the mixture has been through, then attach the sausage stuffer and slide the casings over the long tube. Place the meat mixture into the top of the grinder again and turn the machine on. Once the meat starts coming out of the nozzle help steer it out and also keep feeding the meat in the top. It is easier to have someone help you at this stage. Once all the meat has been squeezed through, turn the mixer off and trim the casing. Separate the long sausage into normal sized portions and twist 3 or 4 turns one way and then twist the next link 3 or 4 times in the opposite direction.

5. With a sterilized pin ***** the casings to expel any trapped air. Hang sausages and let them dry for an hour or so before refrigerating. They will keep in the fridge for up to one week or place them in the freezer for up to 6 months. OR cook and enjoy them straight away!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Or, you can get them from Crumps of Royal Wootton Bassett who sell over 20 different varieties.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds like top sausages Mr. Kelly. Biker will be drowning in drool as am I.
Do like a good toad in the hole too, with peas & onion gravy.
The Wholefoods® store in Glasgow does a brilliant Italian sweet chilli sausage, great with mash & beetroot chutney.
Remember when I first got sick my mate Belzeebob picked me up from a long stay in hospital and after all that hospital food we had a huge plate of sweet chilli sausages for tea. (Not the Wholefood ones but nice ones never the less). Gave me terrible indigestion, not something I usually get and I was up all night thinking my heart was going again. Still it was a damded nice plate of sausages.
Local butcher makes a very nice pork and smoked cheese sausage. Very good with skirlie & mash.
Don't get to eat sausages that often but boy I look forward to them when I do. Was funny when I first moved to Glasgow, ask for sausages there and it's square instead of link. Very strange.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Toad in the hole!

Make batter. Flour, some eggs, some oil, beat it up. I like to add herbs like rosemary to the batter.

Get your oven hot, up on max. throw sausages in a roasting tin, when they are starting to brown, add enough oil that the roasting pan is thickly coated. Get that hot in the oven - now pour in the batter and cook until brown and crisp.

Oh, and I like Black Farmer Sausages. Gluten free and 100% British pork.

+1 but I cheat and use packet mix batter.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Sausages, mmmmmmm
Good grilld fried baked, in a toad, in a sausage casserole, or in a cassoulet.
Good with gravy, or pickle, with mash or chips or baked spuds.
Good as sausage meat in sausage plait.
You get the big picture.
I LOVE SAUSAGES.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Toad in the hole!

This ^

With onion gravy

and lots of fried onions

and chips

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the recipe ideas, I'm a sausage fan from away back.
4-6 Pork sausages cut into 4 or 5 short lengths. Into a big pan, brown the open ends first then back off to cook.

Meanwhile, core 4 or more apples into 12 slices, cut each slice in half.
In a bowl, toss with lots of cinnamon, maybe a litle nutmeg.
Into the sausage pan. Stir to cook. When just about soft, plate them up.
But
It's about time to try other preps.
Thanks

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Let's hear it for the pork sausage, especially if you can get them in different pork varieties. So far I have had wild boar, Tamworth, Gloucester Old Spot, Saddleback, and Berkshire, and would like to try others (Welsh, Large White, Oxford Sandy & Black etc). Each has their own flavour, though Tamworth is my favourite.

Beef, lamb, goat, and venison sausages are also good, but pork sausages win every time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Red beans and rice with sausages

th

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE