It's been a while

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
Well, it's been a while. A couple years since I last posted and a couple more than that since I've been a regular. A lot's happened in the last 5 years - I'm back in the states now, did the army thing for a few years.
Y'know it's kinda funny, I moved to Scotland when I was 6 years old and grew up there - I moved back at the beginning of 2011, at 21 years old - and I often thought of myself as being American. I certainly went through a lot of BS to get here! Now I've been here a while, I realize how wrong I was! The cultural shift has been (and often still is) jarring and I find it more, rather than less, difficult as time goes on!
Well, my british birth certificate got lost in the move (either shredded on the way out or in storage back in Scotland - unobtainable at any rate) but I ordered a replacement and I'm going to get my British passport which I very foolishly didn't do before I left. Any amount of luck, I'll be able to find my way back to the highlands eventually!
Moral of my story, I guess, is that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side - in fact, there might be a good reason why you're on the side you're on in the first place.

In the meantime, I hope to get reacquainted with the forum - I'm sure a lot's changed!

In closing, I miss haggis, fish and chips, irn bru, pot noodles and rain - oh, how I miss rain. And tea - hot tea. Strong, hot tea.
I even miss the people!

Pete

PS: I also miss the cat in my display pic - he's with a friend now, wonder if he remembers me!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks y'all :)
John, I miss irn bru so bad I spent over $30 for a 6 pack of half litres off amazon! I miss the E Jonsson moras too - haven't seen one since I packed mine up for storage!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Welcome back,

Sounds like you've been having an exciting time. Funny how you miss weather. I missed the haar when I moved from the east to the west coast years back - that and the fact it rained every day for 3 months. :rolleyes:
Never a fan of the Bru myself but I regularly send ones out to my girlfriend in Singapore though there are now Expat shops selling stuff there. You'll just have to get some bootlegged haggis from Canada. :D
Hope you continue to.have fun and looking forward to hearing what you get up to out there.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks mate! Truth be told any Scottish weather would do at the mo - it's 100 degree days (38+C) here and it just boils my brain! When I first got here it had been about a hundred days without rain - I nearly cried when the cabbie told me lol
I'm hopefully gonna get out in the woods soon, I'll try and remember to take pictures - I'm in a desert, but a few hours out are some beautiful pine forests - a real nice one I like is up at 8500 feet, which should make the temperature a little more bearable this time of year too!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Aw yes, me too. So much brown sauce it becomes a soggy, amazing mess. I'd probably gain a couple stone in my first week back!:lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello stranger :D
Sounds like life's interesting; that's always a good start.
I like Irn Bru, veggie haggis (surprisingly good, more than a few folks here take it camping with the real stuff so they cook up the two and there's meat and veg :) ) and right now I'm longing for it to really, really pour. It's been incredibly warm and sticky here. Doesn't quite suit me. My bother reckons that it's written into the contract with the Maker, "Scots, must be rained on at least twice a day" :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
'...Scots, must be rained on at least twice a day...'

9MpcI4B.jpg

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This past week has kind of emphasised that not all summers are equal :)

I love the light, the long days and evenings and I delight in having the gardens as just more 'rooms' in the house, but that no relief from the hot muggy stifling weather was not pleasant. It's a lot cooler today, about 23C :) with thin high cloud so bright but not burning, iimmc. Very nice indeed :D

M

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Toddy, I'd try some veggie haggis :D Which reminds me of another thing I miss - turnips! Americans don't seem to eat them, here at least. They certainly don't carve them for halloween! It's 10am here and already 29 degrees - and I'm just thinking of living places where it rains so much that moss grows instead of grass! lol

Mark, thanks mate, I hope you've been well :D

Thanks Tony, adventure is right but not the sort you write books about :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE