It's been 3 days since.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
Oh great, first Joker gives up, now you....Nothing worse than an ex smoker.....
Seriously....Well done Rich...No wonder you keep putting off going down the pub with me........ :D

At the moment Jon it's all or nothin'...can't afford to take the chance cos I know I'll crack....give it a week or two and I should be okay.

The next scout campfire is going to be hard....But now i have another incentive to keep me strong....thanks R.

And again thanks to all for your words of encouragement...I will do my best not to let myself (and you) down :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
my nan quit for a while but then she got a bit stressed and ended up smoking a cigarete, so mate i know it must be hard to quit but keep going and i hope you suceed
leon

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
The next scout campfire is going to be hard....

What is it about the campfire?
class myself as a 'social smoker' these days - I only smoke when I've had a few drinks - but as soon as I'm round the fire I get the urge - without any alcohol.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I gave up properly about three years ago now! I'm a big heaving lump of lard now but I feel better for it! :) I'll never get back into my 32" Levi 501's again though :( :D

Pib

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
pibbleb said:
I gave up properly about three years ago now! I'm a big heaving lump of lard now but I feel better for it! :) I'll never get back into my 32" Levi 501's again though :( :D

Pib

Man, thats the worst part. I went from 30 a day and working an 80 week running a pub to giving up tabs and working 40 hours in an office. An easy way to put 3-4 inches around your waist....

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Good on you for doing it! It's been 11 years since I quit. The first three weeks were the toughest, just getting out of the routine of smoking. After three months you'll only be thinking of a fag once in a while but keep your resolve, don't think you can have just one.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
dommyracer said:
Man, thats the worst part. I went from 30 a day and working an 80 week running a pub to giving up tabs and working 40 hours in an office. An easy way to put 3-4 inches around your waist....
Good point. Stovie, do your self a favour and get a bike. Riding will help keep your mind off fags and show you what your lungs are really for. It'll also stop you putting on the inevitable pounds.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Snufkin said:
Good point. Stovie, do your self a favour and get a bike. Riding will help keep your mind off fags and show you what your lungs are really for. It'll also stop you putting on the inevitable pounds.

What's this!? Stop smoking AND get fit...steady on ol' bean....wouldn't want to appear too health conscious.... ;)

I do have a bike, and all joking aside, making use of it is one of the reasons why I have stopped...just not enough puff up the hills....and i want to keep ahead of the youngsters (mine, that is, the scouts are way ahead of me). And at the moment I can still hike with all my kit....and I intend to keep it like that....

Could murder a smoke tho'... :(

But still resisting :nono:

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i only ever smoked one cig when i was a lad but have family and friends who have given up and all say much the same as every one here. the first 3 weeks was hardest but after 3 months they felt so much better and funds they are saving makes life that little bit more fun .stick to it i'm sure it will be worth it all the best :You_Rock_

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Your in for a big surprise mate, I quit just over a year ago and its fantastic!
Every changes, things actually taste, everything smells, you feel soooo much better than all those other smokers, you feel healthier, people are always commenting on how much healthier you look. In a word everything just gets so much better.

When I quite I actually had money just laying around that I could spend on whatever I wanted, you will never regret giving up its the best thing I have ever done!

I hope you stick at it mate it feels great, just get past the first month and it gets a lot easier, ask your mates if they mind not smoking around you cause its the worst thing they can do. Also you'll soon realise how much they stink and eventually wont even like the taste of them. (ciggiz that is, not your mates)

Good luck!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stovie said:
At the moment Jon it's all or nothin'...can't afford to take the chance cos I know I'll crack....give it a week or two and I should be okay.

The next scout campfire is going to be hard....But now i have another incentive to keep me strong....thanks R.

And again thanks to all for your words of encouragement...I will do my best not to let myself (and you) down :)
I wasn't having a moan mate, you take as much time as you need...If you get near a health shop, pick up some licourice root, its good stuff to help you quit. It has something in it that helps to take some of the cravings away......Its not to everyones taste though........

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
I wasn't having a moan mate, you take as much time as you need...If you get near a health shop, pick up some licourice root, its good stuff to help you quit. It has something in it that helps to take some of the cravings away......Its not to everyones taste though........

No worries Jon, i realised you weren't having a moan :)

I just happen to be one of those people...it's all or nothin'

cheers!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I quit smoking 12 months ago with the help of gum and lozenges. The only trouble is that I am still adicted to the gum and lozenges - not a joke - I truely am!
Although still a nicotine adict I take comfort that my lungs are clearer, I no longer stink (of ciggies at least) and the gum etc costs a lot less than ciggies.
It is not always a blessing to have a restored sence of smell when you share a house with a farty old dog or when the local farmers are muck spreading but these are minor worries compared to the effects of smoking 40/day!
Stay with it - it is worth it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE