Tinnovation - Mini Canteen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need - Mick Jagger

All I needed was a lightweight small, flatish bottle about 250-300ml to fit in the end pocket of a response pack to carry fuel in. Unfortunately finding one that didn't require ordering a box of 10, Etsy craft prices or shipping fees to move it half way around the planet though was proving to be a tad more difficult.
In desperation I consulted with my Womble spirit guide alas to no avail, he was busy looking under the desk with a flashlight for a tin of travel sweets...
but I did come up with this after foraging in the £shop- more pics here
l3Eum4dCyxW4Ii9pO471Lx9NpTyxbAOQPaHQejsUtMuG83GCdVr1dgjLIUy_hztW-mM85wyeHZfzh7Xi9X51AllyL32jWiwlkXXFmfGMwtI_0SWy_KR0Lz9CXVm62zNZI4uF3Q=w850-h638-no

Still something of a work in progress with lots of scope for my next attempt and maybe I've inspired yours. I'm not tooled up for brazing so cheap epoxy was used in the construction, this makes it OK for holding meths but if you wanted to carry medicinal alcohol then I think JB-Weld and possibly Gorilla epoxy is food safe, not sure about silicone bathroom sealant. The body itself is soft steel so there's a rust issue as well and painting will be required but on the flipside this does make it easy to engrave or even chemically etch a design.

Parts list:
Simpkins travel sweets, Aluminium 7Led torch, Tube of epoxy and ball of garden twine (I scrounged an empty coke can & bottle of E-liquid)
You don't have to use the metal torch, I did because I liked the look but any bottle top could work.

note: build quality of the torches varies, some have a lot of play in the screw cap threads and may leak. I smeared some epoxy in and repeatedly took the cap on & off till it set and that seems to have worked.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Good question...

Took the mk1 and stamped on it with boot
stamp-1.jpg
results inconclusive, some bowing of the lid piece but no leaks

Second blow, jumped a bit higher
stamp-3.jpg
definite squeak of distress and deformation but surprisingly no leak

Got mallet from the shed and gave it some vigour
mallet+4.jpg
Ok now it leaks

Not very scientific but the canteen should survive the minor knocks of life in a backpack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE