It's been 3 days since.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
....I quit smoking....

So just thought I'd have a quick rant and moan about anything and everything cos I'm feeling just a TAD edgy..... :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

First off, yes I know this is my choice, but it still don't mean I have to like it :rant:

I can't shout at my family so I'm taking it out on you understanding folks :rant:

Some guy got the brunt of it last night when he tried to charge me £400+ for a service on my car....in the end he sheepishly agreed to the £250 I was originally quoted :rant:

I need to get out this clinic and get some fresh air (and no that's not a euphemism) :rant:

Who came up with the crazy idea of KSF and Agenda for Change anyway (all in the NHS will understand that rant) :rant:

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

I could go on, but I think you get the picture....

Thanks for listening :)

Reactions: dwardo

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
stovie said:
... Some guy got the brunt of it last night when he tried to charge me £400+ for a service on my car....in the end he sheepishly agreed to the £250 I was originally quoted :rant:

With such impressive skills of negotiation you most certainly should be working for someone other than the NHS! Either that or a move to their Procurement Department!

Cheers and good luck

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well done for a start matey ;)

I quit the day after new year this year and ill tell ya its hard but not impossible :)

Few tips for ya

1./ Never stop quiting if you dont get it this time dont beet your self to death over it just keep trying.

2./ I found that learning to play the guitar helped as it keeps your fingers busy

3./ Every time you enter a new social situation for the first time since packing in it will be hard (parties, the pub, clubbing, family events, just after setting up camp, after a meal in and a meal out). All of these situations will seem strange but once you have done each one once you are almost there.

4./ Keep busy ! whittle a stick learn some mroe bushcraft.

5./ Try to explain to close ones how amazingly F"£$"£$"£$in hard it is as it is !

6./ Chewing gum etc helps aswell as cashew nuts and any other picky thing that isnt gonna get you too fat too quick.

7./ When you get cravings try to breath slow and deep as this will help you to relax and the cravin will pass quicker.

8./ Regular treats like new blades/kit and goodies from the cash save and you deserve them !

9./ Realise what the cravings for what they are :cussing: just your body missing the 100+ nasty chemicals that you dont need ! smoking is not part of you its just a bad habbit you picked up !

This is all besides making sure you use the patches properly and dont get lulled into the false sense of "i dont need them anymore i feel fine" until your course is over. Also you can cut the larger patches in half to wean your way off them slowly.

Remember that cigs are harder to give up than heroin so you get some REP just for trying well done fella !

Hi stovie,

Well done for starting the quitting route - keep it up mate :)

On a daily basis taken the cash from your pocket that you would have spent of your fags and put it in a sealed container with a slot cut in it. DO THIS DAILY. At the end of the first month take that great big pile of cash and spend it on something that you have always wanted be never been able to buy for yourself - it will make all your efforts so much more worth while and also quantify how much money you are saving.

Good luck and keep it up fella :D

Phil.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Cheers everyone. I appreciate the sentiments.

dwardo, I hear evrything you say. Thank you. I know it's going to be tough, but I also know that if I don't do it now I'll never do it.....I've never been this determined before, and the decision is mine this time, as opposed to all the half-hearted attempts when other say you should stop.

Thanks for your support, all of you :You_Rock_

And I do genuinely mean that.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wait till you get off em for a about a week or two which isnt that far ;)
You will feel like you could blow up 30 camp beds in one hit and run a 5 minute mile as your lungs start opening up :red:
Your sense of smell starts to get better very fast (beware some things can smell a little strange :yuck: at first )
Getting you taste buds back oh how you will have missed good food !
Laughing at the people stood out side freezing their asses off in winter because all of the boozers have gone none smoking :D
Not having to run to the shop in orrible weather because you forgot your ciggies.
Not feeling like you have slept with an ash try in yer gob after a night out and hang overs go faster.
When you no longer smoke you blood contains more oxygen so any wounds (typicaly knife sharpening ones :rolleyes: ) heal much faster.

Besides all the borin health stuff !

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've never been this determined before, and the decision is mine this time, as opposed to all the half-hearted attempts when other say you should stop.

I've gotta say - that's the key factor I've noticed in every single person I know who has successfully given up.

Good luck mate!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well done for giving up. You've taken the first step and that takes courage, I have heard that it is harder to give up than some of the hardcore drugs! Saying that, it is all about willpower and I'm sure you will be OK with that!!

If you do find it difficult, it's only natural and take heart in the fact that you are no different to anyone else giving up smoking, and that eventually you will get through it and start to see the benefits.

I asked my parents to stop smoking a few years ago, they asked me what I wanted for christmas and I told them to stop smoking. They laughed at me whilst I kept a straight face and said "It's not for me, it's for your grandchildren!" They suddenly took notice and became serious, I think it hit home then!! ;)

Good luck with it!!! :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Its all been said,
The thing I found most amazing, as Dwardo said, was being able to locate rabbits by smelling thier "pee".
Keep at it Buddy and if you need a rant - pile it on.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Oh great, first Joker gives up, now you....Nothing worse than an ex smoker.....
Seriously....Well done Rich...No wonder you keep putting off going down the pub with me........ :D

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Ogri the trog said:
The thing I found most amazing, as Dwardo said, was being able to locate rabbits by smelling thier "pee".
Ogri the trog

No offence Og but that has to be the single most convincing reason to STAY a smoker?!?!!??!!

J :D ;)

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
Good for you stopping smoking.

After numerous failed attempts, I finally did it last year, with the Easyway book (that sat on my shelf for a year previously).

The hard bit for me was the dripping tap reminder that I have stopped smoking, but that fades as you no longer supply nicotine to keep it alive.

In about 3 weeks time, you'll realise that you have stopped, as the dripping tap finally quits!

Jed

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You have to love KSF and Agenda for Change, such a step forward :banghead:

Good luck with the smoking, its on my own agenda for this year as well

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
You wait til you wake up having dreamt that you have started smoking again :) I quit 20 years ago and i reckon i had these dreams for about ten years off and on...but it is a great feeling when you realise that it was only a dream and you haven't started again...

Keep at it and keep your hands busy :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE