It Snowed During the Night!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
locum76 said:
is anyone else fed up of the weather people of tv and radio describing the -1 or -2 degree conditions as "bitterly bitterly cold"?

surely it aint that bad.

Big style :(

Schools closed, roads in chaos, public transport a knightmare.....

Sweet baby moses in a wicker basket what on earth would happen if we had some REAL weather. It showed some kids sledgeing on the news as the schools were closed.....the grass was still showing! it was less than 2cm.

I can only remember my school been closed early once because the snow was about 14inches deep, fair enough in my opinion that does make driving tricky. But jacknifed lorries and gridlocked roads when there is less than a covering of snow, what is wrong with the world?

I used to work in a CCTV control room, my home town had a flurry of 1cm one winter. The police (we had access to their radios) were panicking about where all the 4x4's were. They were told not to leave the station because of the bad weather. The town was completely gridlocked, WHY? i had driven in that morning and i actually had to go out of my way to make the car skid (got to have some fun!!!). I can never remember getting myself stuck in any snow ever. Plenty of muppets forcing me to get stuck but never actually skidding off a road or bogging myself down.

Is it just me? :confused:

PS sorry folks rant over :eek: but i do feel that we are becoming a 'soft' race of people who can't cope with anything out of the ordinary. That is not inclusive of the people on here of course :D

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
TheGreenMan said:
Me too.

If you’ve got a spare room, I’d be willing to come over and chop wood for nothing but ‘board and lodging’ :D

Best regards,
Paul.

If only I had some wood to chop. I live "in town" and have a yard (garden) with a fire pit. Not exactly wilderness living. We get out into the mountain wildernesses every summer for a couple of weeks and the forests are always nearby for the weekend, though.

If you want to learn the ins-and-outs of cattle ranching in the boreal forest, my parents can help you out with that. There is plenty of physical labour to be had and forests for the playing at your doorstep when the chores are done. :)

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
no ArkAngel,
You aren't the only one frustrated by the muppets who won't get out of first and who make you bog down when their persistent stopping.
Get youself a (light) motorbike and have a great time getting to work :D

Mind you, just the slightest dusting which was soon covered with rain in Southampton this morning. Hopefully something better coming our way. :)

I was considering hammocking out last night, so it can't be that bad :lmao:

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Jon Pickett said:
My parents live just below you, in Montana. The coldest, they have had it was
-37c. They come over here to the UK and moan about the cold over here. We have a damp cold that gets into your bones. Also I noticed, when I was over there, cars are able to drive over the compacted snow on the roads pretty well, but over here, the roads become a sheet of ice. We had 2 inches of snow this morning, (the first of the season) and I saw loads of places where cars had gone straight on, on corners, and a couple of cars in ditches. I much prefer your dryer climate, though we can make better snowmen and snowballs.....

The coldest I remember from my childhood was -45C. Freeze the skin in no time flat. My grandmother scolded me for going outside with only my jacket; no hat, gloves or scarf. Propane was useless as it would not gassify, and gasoline engines ran poorly due to the gelling effect of the cold. It hasn't been that cold in a very long time.

I'll agree with the damp cold being more unpleasant. I wouldn't want that at all.

I suspect the nature of your tires contribute to ice generation on the roads. We use a pretty aggressive tread for our all-season tires, and many of us put winter tires on our vehicles for the snowy seasons. Less spinning of the wheels means less ice formed, and the snow tends to pack rather than polish.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
well, just to make people jealous, we have 4-5 inches of snow (and its still snowing) and it will be -15 tonight. Hmm real weather :D . I might have a go at building a sledge tomorrow :drive:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Voivode said:
If only I had some wood to chop. I live "in town" and have a yard (garden) with a fire pit...

Well, you’ve got the march on me there! I’m having to practice my fire lighting skills on one of the balconies on my third floor apartment. I’ve got so much wood stacked on one of them that it’s beginning to look like a beaver lodge, having stalked the streets of London with my axe and chopped wood from the fungus attacked trees that blew down in last weeks high winds.

I guess I'll just have to keep those dreams of a wilderness cabin alive, and keep watching the Dick Proenneke documentaries.

Voivode said:
...If you want to learn the ins-and-outs of cattle ranching in the boreal forest, my parents can help you out with that. There is plenty of physical labour to be had and forests for the playing at your doorstep when the chores are done. :)

I’d only be prepared to come over to the ranch if there was anybody like Curley Washburn (played by the late Jack Palance) in the film, City Slickers, working there :D

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE