Issue mess tin mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
i am looking at doing a mod to my army issue alloy mess tin set where by i can use the large one as a billy can over a fire.
reasons for this are that the mess tins fit nicely into my bergen and i don t really want to carry a stainless billy can if i can avoid it and im just being plain awkward, so heres what i am proposing.

after a bit of thought of how to add a handle or bail to the mess tin, i came up with the idea if using a snare wire as it has two loops and can be easily stored.
the problem is fixing the wire to the tin.easiest solution seems to be drill two holes next to each other at each end, one on the centre line and one slightly off center of the tin.then cut down the off center hole to make a sort of hook to attach the wire.if i get it right i dont think the tin will tip when full of water and boil in the bag,
pics
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/lostplanet/messtinmod.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/lostplanet/messtinmod2.jpg

another possibility is to rivet a fabricted hook on to the tin.

i did think chain but didnt like it in the end
i know you guys are gonna say just buy a billy can but i would like to try getting this to work before i put my zebra order in.
any suggestions welcome

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
yeah four point would be more stable but the snare wire length doesnt seem to be an exact science so i'm thinking i would need to have a wire at each end in eboth corners rather than going diagonally accross, only down side is pouring water from the tin into a cup as the pour point will be in the corner, trial and error i suppose
and thanks

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
looking at it if i put the holes about an inch from the radius of the corner it will solve the messy pour problem, now do i put the holes in the long sides or the ends.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
ok ive got some 2.5 and 3 mm stainless rod coming so i'll try that instead of the snare wire at four points.
if this doesnt work can some one give me the internal dimensions of a 14cm zebra billy can, i want to see if it will hold a gas canister that is dimensions 140mm high by 112mm diameter, thanks

hi I think I read some where in this labyrinth of informative post & chatter that the zebra's are the same width as the hight...and on say that I admit to being wrong and reading it here: http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/cooking.htm ....
lostplanet said:
ok ive got some 2.5 and 3 mm stainless rod coming so i'll try that instead of the snare wire at four points.
if this doesnt work can some one give me the internal dimensions of a 14cm zebra billy can, i want to see if it will hold a gas canister that is dimensions 140mm high by 112mm diameter, thanks
the numbers you have given sound to :confused: me like they will fit in side ...Good luck what ever path you take!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE