Is Yew any good for axe handles?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Your post don't come over very friendly or helpful either........:)

Some one really got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. Chill out pal. No one is having a go.

This isn't a thread about woods for bows - I was just pointing out that the list you posted wasn't the be all and end all.

Robin knows a thing or two about wood so I'd listen to his advice personally.

You have a point Bill - as I said - let me know how you get on! I'd be interested to see how it goes.

Andy

Aug 13, 2011
In what way, my post says "that list doesn't say it isnt:confused:" note the smiley! your being a goon, also clipping robins post for your own ends is wrong and bad skills,

Strewth What is wrong with you man?

I was being ironic...... Clearly you don't understand that.:)

And like I can't do that..... Or your some sort of Forum Censor Police or something?

Move on.... Too much bickering and miss-information on this forum and not enough good information or enough laughs...:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The replica bronze axe that we used for demonstrations has a yew shaft. It was made from an 'elbow' of the tree with the head affixed onto the trunk side and the offcoming branch as the handle. It was (and is) very secure despite a lot of ungentle use and hard work.

I was told at the time that the yew was very strong under compression yet it's springiness allowed it to absorb the energy of the blow.

No idea how it would work as a haft on a modern axe with an eye hole. It'd be interesting to hear how you get on, and whether Robin's experience is the norm for it or not.

cheers,
M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tried it once following the same reasoning, my handle broke after not too much use. I also fancied the idea that yew being very durable an axe handled with yew could live happily outside by the logpile say without rotting. It is only one instance and trees vary a lot so I would be happy to try more, it was very beautiful.

Seem to remember your good self sticking up for yew as a tool handle, so i tried it with the same result as your self :rolleyes:

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Dredging up some archery lore here:

Yew was the preferred timber for bow making because the heart wood resists compression and the sap wood resists stretching. The sap wood is aligned with the back of the bow (the outer surface, further away from the archer) and the heart wood is aligned with the belly of the bow (inner surface, closer to the archer) to take advantage of this natural spring-like quality.

A big risk to a bow is the bowstring snapping during shooting. This is because the aerodynamic resistance of the string and the weight of the arrow means that the tension in a bow is released over a (short but) measurable time - it is not an instantaneous release. If the string snaps, you have an instantaneous release (this is still a problem for modern bows with fibreglass and corbon fibre limbs - a dry fire is definitely to be avoided).

This suggests to me that yew may well not be brilliant at shock resistance, and the impact of an axe into wood would be just too much of a shock for a yew handle. Quite how this ties in with Toddy's experience is not clear to me - I would be interested to know the weight of the replica axe head, and how large a cross section of yew was used to make the handle, and compare this to the handle size of a similar weight modern axe. It could well be that the replica axe uses a much thicker handle, which may give sufficient shock resistance.

Cheers

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As above......

Maybe start a sticky thread of the Best, Second best etc....

However Yew is not good fer Axe (Or any other handles)... ??? :)

I know Jack Muck about handle wood so look forward to your evidential links or personal stories about Yew and the axe (as in haft).

Young William, go for it and let us know how you get on too, should make for educational reading all round :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This is Oetzi's axe
axe.jpg

At a glance you would think it was easy to make using round branchwood for the handle and a section of trunk for the head bit, unfortunately the handle is from the trunk and the head bit from the branch, a huge amount of work, which is why I have never made one.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yew was also used to make spears as early as 50,000 years ago. Indeed the earliest dated spear found was made of yew. Surely there must be a fair bit of shock involved in a spear thrust? Of course, for all i know, they may have broken regularly but continued to be used because of their hardness and ability to hold a point.

Dredging up some archery lore here:

Yew was the preferred timber for bow making because the heart wood resists compression and the sap wood resists stretching. The sap wood is aligned with the back of the bow (the outer surface, further away from the archer) and the heart wood is aligned with the belly of the bow (inner surface, closer to the archer) to take advantage of this natural spring-like quality.

A big risk to a bow is the bowstring snapping during shooting. This is because the aerodynamic resistance of the string and the weight of the arrow means that the tension in a bow is released over a (short but) measurable time - it is not an instantaneous release. If the string snaps, you have an instantaneous release (this is still a problem for modern bows with fibreglass and corbon fibre limbs - a dry fire is definitely to be avoided).

This suggests to me that yew may well not be brilliant at shock resistance, and the impact of an axe into wood would be just too much of a shock for a yew handle. Quite how this ties in with Toddy's experience is not clear to me - I would be interested to know the weight of the replica axe head, and how large a cross section of yew was used to make the handle, and compare this to the handle size of a similar weight modern axe. It could well be that the replica axe uses a much thicker handle, which may give sufficient shock resistance.

Cheers

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Surely there must be a fair bit of shock involved in a spear thrust?

Probably is, but the major difference is in the force vector compared to the grain alignment. With a spear you are thrusting in line with the grain, so the force is along the grain. With an axe and with a bow, the force is at 90 degrees to the grain.

Cheers

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
This is Oetzi's axe
axe.jpg

At a glance you would think it was easy to make using round branchwood for the handle and a section of trunk for the head bit, unfortunately the handle is from the trunk and the head bit from the branch, a huge amount of work, which is why I have never made one.

Quite cool how similar it is to these( though the adzes look as though there the other way round, branch for handle and trunk for head)

Aug 13, 2011
I know Jack Muck about handle wood so look forward to your evidential links or personal stories about Yew and the axe (as in haft).

Young William, go for it and let us know how you get on too, should make for educational reading all round :)

Errr.... I have posted the evidential link.....

I personally have no plans to make any axe hafts out of Yew....

So, I also await any results....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE