Is this a huge Burl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I remember seeing this a while back local to me. I had to ask the girl in the photo for a copy of the pic. she sent me this.

I'm sure it's a Huge Burl...what you say???

IxNuy33dXmCvMGPT7LQBDKusUcK6yFAU-PYs9VAuqR4_zpsav6v44c9.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a redwood Stevie. Look at the way the bark's been thumped over all those years.
Down Chatelherault there are ones just outside the parterre gardens just past the icehouse.
Pretty sure there are some planted up at Dalziel too.

Not sure if it's a burl or just a massive root…they don't usually root like that though…perhaps it's been partially couped when it was a sapling ? :dunno:
The lump above the girl's head might be sommat, or it could just be where a branch came off a long time past.

M

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Assuming it is a Giant Redwood then if you search either Bing or Google images you will see quite a few similar examples of people sitting on the 'suggested burl' to have their pics taken.

DB.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So that kind of growth is common then ?
The trees I know of were planted around 'big houses', so there aren't forests of them here, and I know the ones my sons punched as children don't have those huge bulges at the base.
The spongy bark is unmistakeable though :)

M

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I don't know if it is common or not, I was just going on the assumption that you recognised the Tree species (I have no idea I don't believe I have knowingly seen one) I looked up images on bing and there seemed to be a lot of pictures of people sitting on the 'buttress' if that is the right word at the base of a lot of the bigger trees.

DB

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know they're long lived but the ones near us must just be around a couple of hundred years at most. Babies really in a species that can live 2,000+.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE